THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Comparing 270 WSM to 270 Weatherby - 150 gr. Bullet Velocities

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing 270 WSM to 270 Weatherby - 150 gr. Bullet Velocities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am currently getting mid-3000s fps. with 150 grain bullets and I forget what load of RL-19(since I am currently 575 miles away from my load data).

I was wondering what the 270 Roy shooters were getting with their reloads and 150 grainers.
My 270 WSM does not particullarly out shine my 270 Winchesters with the lighter bullets like 130s but seems to really come into it's own with the 150s at 3050 fps.and slightly up. I might even get higher velocities with something in the RL-22 variety of powders. Accuracy has been excellant with the 150s all sub-MOA at 200 yards.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MagPro will likely net you some extra velocity in your WSM.
I too found that my .270WSM was only very slightly faster than my 24" .270WCF. That was true with all bullet weights for me.
My .270WCF will push a 150 NP to a bit over 3000 while exhibiting zero pressure signs and with long case life.
The .270 Roy will spank the WSM in a 26" barrel. On the order of 100+fps in my experience.
My .270WSM went down the road and is not likely to reappear in my gun safe.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, it is dependent on the individual rifle (chamber, bore, barrel length etc) whether one cartridge will run faster than the other.

On paper, the .270 Wby is quite a bit (maybe 200 fps, or so) faster than a .270 WSM. Whether you actually obtain those velocities at decent accuracy, is another matter. As "nsaqam" noted, the same can be said for a comparison between the .270 WSM and the .270 Win.

I bought my .270 Wby because 1) it was better suited to the rifle platform in which I wanted to use it (Blaser R93). 2) because, at the time, the .270 WSM was still a brand new cartridge, and apart from an uncertain future, components were either scarce or expensive. Velocity wise, my .270 Wby runs at WSM book values, although I don't know whether a WSM would have allowed me to obtain book velocities.

In my experience, powders as slow as IMR 7828 or RL 25 are needed to get the most out of the .270 Wby.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1.5gr larger capacity to the weatherby

1.9% larger

25%of that is right at 0.5% expected increase in vel, at same pressure and barrel

15.5fps at 3100fps

my 257 JLS (300wsm necked to 25 - reamer cut the day the 300wsm print was released) was about 100 fps behind the 257 webby ... partialy because i refused to load it up faster

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38540 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NSQUAM and all,
Thanks for your replies.
I never have questioned the Roy's supperiority in a longer barrel ie.26". As I am sure that with the larger case capacity, as Jeffe pointed out, it should with the right powder. I was more wondering if I was inline with the Weatherby in a 24" tube.

I guess I need to load/chronograph some 150s for my 270 Winchesters and make a real comparison. But what ever the outcome, I don't see myself getting rid of either of my WSMs (270 or 300) due to the fact they BOTH shoot very well. I did find that the 270 WSM shot tighter groups as I went up in weight of bullets. The 130s were not to good @ 1-1/2MOA plus, the 140s were in the 1 MOA, more or less, and the 150s seemed to just fall into place with any brand of bullet tried @ 3/4 MOA. But as I recall (not near my notes) I don't think I tried any RL-19 or slower with the 130s. But then I really don't want to shoot 130s in a larger case.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roy, and P.O. were both aware of the keys to higher velocities. Strong actions, Higher pressures, longer barrels, and the right powders. As Jeffe like to point out, the increased case capacity is responsible for less of the velocity increase then most people think.

By creating his own rounds, Roy could load to higher pressures. He fitted them all with 26" barrels, when all the gun writers thought the 26" barrel on the 264 Win Mag was "long and clunky". He also loaded with Norma Powders. At the time, they were some of the best on the market, and some of the most expensive.....and a little extra case capacity didn't hurt anything...

Knowing all this, it still puzzles me that Winchester didn't mount 26" barrels on the WSM's...I would have.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Knowing all this, it still puzzles me that Winchester didn't mount 26" barrels on the WSM's...I would have.

I hear you Ant-sniper,
but if Winchester would have screwed a 26" pipe on, then I wouldn't be owning or shooting any WSMs. It's not the barrel length but the overall length that I have trouble with on a 26" bolt action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you look at the top loads in Nosler #6:

150gr bullets
270 WSM 24" barrel: 3187
270 Roy 26" barrel: 3207

With a 26" bbl, it looks to me like you could factory load the 270 WSM to exceed the 270 Roy. That could of made for some interesting marketing hype. Of course you would be a long way from making any similare claims in either the 7mm or 30 cal variants.

Glad you like your rifle Ray. I still need to do some loading for my sons 270 WSM. RL22 is top on my list of powders to try. I'll try to let you know if I come up with a magic formula.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Well, if you look at the top loads in Nosler #6:

150gr bullets
270 WSM 24" barrel: 3187
270 Roy 26" barrel: 3207

I'll try to let you know if I come up with a magic formula.

Thanks,
I'll do the same. The Nosler data you gave will give me something to aim for.....as long as accuracy doesn't go to hell. The Hodgen and Hornady books that I have show the 270 WSM to be a under-achiever, which never really made sense to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Hodgen and Hornady books that I have show the 270 WSM to be a under-achiever, which never really made sense to me.

I know what you mean. Every year I believe my manuels less and less. Ultimatly I'll have to see what the chronograph says.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler book is much closer to the real world as far as the .270 WSM is concerned. I shoot two Winchester Model 70's, one from New Haven and the other from Carolina. My 130 grain bullets load to 3460 fps, depending on bullet. My 140 grains up to 3275 fps and the 150's up to 3200 fps. I chronograph 99% of my shots with an Oehler 35-P. My best powders are RL-22, RL-25 and Magpro. My faster loads are bullet specific. It seems the faster my loads are the more accurate they are. Both my rifles prefer the 140 grainers first, then the 130's and last the 150's. Both are super accurate and I am presently looking for a left handed model. Why so many, I have six grandsons that all want to shoot one, and old granddad ain't giving up his favorite yet. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks phurley, I have plenty of 140gr Nosler AB's (seconds) down stairs, and a pound of RL22. I think I will take your advice and start there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 150 grain .277 bullet (partition) coming out the starting gate at 3200fps. Now that is sweet!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Antelope Sniper ----- I found the 140 grain Nosler Accubonds on their site as cosmetic blems and ordered a few. They shot lights out and now I think I have 20 sacs for the future. We do a lot of shooting around my house and I wanted to be sure this crew of mine was set up for many years of good Deer hunting. I am also going to take one of my WSM's as my back-up Elk rifle this year. My primary being a .358 STA. This .270 WSM is in my opinion an awesome round, and I shoot a 7mm rem and 7mm STW and have for years. It compares to the STW, even in the heavier weight bullets, and is still a super slim .277 caliber pill. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phurley. My long shooter is a 7mm STW. I'm throwing the 160gr AB's over 3400. Your .358 STA must be a real thumper. I wouldn't mind having a .338 STA/STW, or what ever you would call it, but I think that would require some inquires in the wildcat forum.
On the .277 I picked up 20 sacks of the old 130gr solid base. They are not accubonds, but at $5.00 a bag I figures I couldn't go wrong.

Standardizing your grandsons one the 270 WSM and the 140gr AB should give you one heck of a hunting team. I wish you lots of fun with them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
The Nosler book is much closer to the real world as far as the .270 WSM is concerned. I shoot two Winchester Model 70's, one from New Haven and the other from Carolina. My 130 grain bullets load to 3460 fps, depending on bullet. My 140 grains up to 3275 fps and the 150's up to 3200 fps. I chronograph 99% of my shots with an Oehler 35-P. My best powders are RL-22, RL-25 and Magpro. My faster loads are bullet specific. It seems the faster my loads are the more accurate they are. Both my rifles prefer the 140 grainers first, then the 130's and last the 150's. Both are super accurate and I am presently looking for a left handed model. Why so many, I have six grandsons that all want to shoot one, and old granddad ain't giving up his favorite yet. Good shooting.

Your posted 270WSM velocities are proof positive that some barrels are fast and some are really slow.
My 24" barreled 270WSM Tikka T3 would push a 130gr bullet to 3300 MAX with Magpro and factory loads clocking 3250-3280.
Mightily disappointing since my 24" 270WCF 700KS pushes cheap blue box Federal 130's to a consistent 3240 and handloads with RL22 and Magpro reaching 3250+.
Sent the 270WSM T3 down the road.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nsaqam,
I think that is a characteristic of Tikka T-3s. I have a 338 WM in a T-3. It won't do book numbers with any powder I've tried. It is close with RL-22 but not quite. In almost every other rifle I own,(mostly Winchesters with Win. barrels) I can load 2-3 grains over any book max. (without pressure signs) and get higher velocities. I am still playing with the WSMs and I think my 270WSM in particullar can be refined quite a bit more and get the numbers that the Nosler #6 listed. But as I stated earlier, if accuracy suffers, then I will be content with launching a 150 grainer at 3050 fps.

I just had a M-70/270 Win. re-barreled with a Krieger barrel and it too is not giving me the velocities (nor the accuracay) I expected. It does act like it is getting better and may just need to be shot more for break in. Already have around 100 plus rounds through it and went through their break-in. But time will tell that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that is a characteristic of Tikka T-3s. I have a 338 WM in a T-3. It won't do book numbers with any powder I've tried. It is close with RL-22 but not quite. In almost every other rifle I own,(mostly Winchesters with Win. barrels) I can load 2-3 grains over any book max. (without pressure signs) and get higher velocities.

On your rebarrel job, did you have the action blue printed, or just rebarrel it?

That's because Tikka's usually have a short thoat, and Winchesters have a long throat...or at least on all of them that I have measured...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
Nsaqam,
I think that is a characteristic of Tikka T-3s.

I think that may be right. I recall reading an article by Seyfried (I think) where he was testing the .270WSM in various rifles and the T3 produced significantly lower velocities than the other rifles.
BTW Seyfried liked RL25 in the WSM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A-S,
I'm not sure what you mean by having the action blue printed. I took the M-70 (270Win.) to the G-smith and told him that I wanted a Krieger or Bartlein barrel on it in another 270 Win. He told me that Bartlein was a year out. So that decision was easy to make. Told him that I wanted to shoot 140 gr./150 gr. bullets and that I would be reloading for it mostly,but could possily be shooting factory ammo also. The barrel is somewhat short throated with a tight chamber compared to any of my factory Winchesters.

As you stated the Winchesters are fairly long throated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue printing an action is where you square the action, square the bolt face, square and lap the lugs. It helps keep everything perfectly straight.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
I used to own a Vanguard in 270Wby, and with a 24" barrel was getting 3250fps with the 150gr and 3350fps with 130gr. Using 7828 powder.

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antelope Sniper ----- I boutght 10 sacs of the 130 grain Solidbase bullets, they also shoot one holers when I do my part. I told a buddie about them then ordered him 10 sacs and myself 20 more. I now have enough for my three year old great grandson to have no worries when he follows in dad and grandads footsteps, hopefully. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ant-sniper,
My re-barreled 270 was, I believe, "blue printed". There are lap marks on the lugs and the face appears to have been trued. It apparently wasn't out very much as there is a small made over surface. I am sure the true-ing is standard operating procedure for this guy as he is a match shooter.

I almost forgot to add, I tried some RL-22 yesterday in the 270 WSM. It peaked out at 63.5 grains. Started getting sticky bolt lift and got zero increase in velocity. I am already reloading 62.5 gr. of RL-19 to get 3040-3065 fps. so no need to throw another grain of powder for no net increase in anything.
Next stop will be for RL-25 or Magpro.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's for the update Rae. Any good accuracy smith would insist on truing the action. No point in screwing a Krieger on crooked. Magpro looks really good in the Nosler book. It would be high on my list for consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the MagPro!

Spherical so it meters perfectly.

Very high velocities.

Accurate.

It has quickly become one of my favorite powders.