THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    The "pain in the ass" collector is back!!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "pain in the ass" collector is back!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello, Bear Claw!!
You're on the list.
With your:
280 Imp. [Big Grin]
338/06 Imp. [Big Grin]
30/350 Imp. [Big Grin]

Notice I got my hands on a 500 A-Square too! [Wink]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<458Wby>
posted
Hey folks!
Just got a couple of new ones:

300 RSUM.
17 HMR.

My collection is still growing.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
.30x350 Remington

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<458Wby>
posted
Bear Claw.
????????
That do you mean? Did'nt I name it right? [Confused]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It's the 350 Remington Mag necked down to .30 caliber. no other changes.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I understand what you mean now.
I named it wrong on the post, calling it 30/350 Imp. That's wrong. [Roll Eyes]
But I think I've named it right on the list, calling it 30/350 Rem.Mag. [Razz]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello.
I just think I should tell you friends that I have started on the new shelf for my collection, and as soon as I have the collection finished I'll put out some pictures of it.
I still havent got hold of any Lazzeronis yet, but I'll maybe getting a 700NE one of these days. I also misses the 378 WBY! [Frown]

<buford1>
posted
Can I ship live rounds to you. Or do you want them disassembled

[ 11-19-2002, 22:13: Message edited by: buford1 ]

<458Wby>
posted
Hello Buford1!
I'm sorry, but I'm affraid I'll have to have them disassemled without any primer/powder. But then it works fine!! [Wink]
I'd be very happy if you have a contribution for my collection! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
If you want my adress, mail me on:
aristoe@frisurf.no
and I'll be more than happy to give it to you!! [Big Grin]

LOOK WHAT TONY BROUGHT ME!!!!
Thank YOU, man!!!!

500NE.
40/90.
375 Flanged.
375/284.
9,3x82R.
8x58R.Sauer.
7x72R.
256 Win.
25/36 Marlin.
22-250 Imp.
30-30 Imp.
260 Imp.
32 Ideal.
219 Donaldson Wasp.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]
Let me know if I can do anything in return Tony.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello.
I'm working on my new cartridge -shelf!!

I came over an auction a few day ago, that was selling out a lot of old books about guns and stuff. I was lucky to get myself 5 books that I wanted:

"Cartridges for collectors Vol 1"
"Cartridges for collectors Vol 2"
"Cartridges for collectors Vol 3"
"Cartridge Headstamps Manual"
"Homegunsmiths Digest" second edition.

I belive this is books that are hard to find these days.
I think I was preatty lucky though!! [Big Grin]

<buford1>
posted
Why didnt you get back with me? The stuff is in the mail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buford.
I'm sorry if you did'nt get my message, but I sendt you an answer a couple of days after I got your mail. [Confused] [Eek!]
But as I said in the mail, almost all the others have used US Postal Service.

I still have you E-mail lying in my "in box" so I'll try a new one right now. Let me know if you got it.

<buford1>
posted
I got it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buford1.
I have some problems getting mails trought to you. I'm trying to tell you that I received your package on the 27'th. Thank you very much!! [Big Grin]

<Eric>
posted
Hey Arild,

how have you been? I was checking the thread and started to wonder, have you a copy of John Donnelly's "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions"? It is a swell book that has the case and cartridge dimensions (as well as a huge selection) of many current and obsolete cartridges. Well worth the investment I'd say.

Have fun with your collection buddy.

Regards,

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm searching for a little known cartridge called the "20/20 Hindsight". From what I can piece together, it was a 20 cal. FMJ projectile that weighed 20 grains and was propelled by 20 grains of cordite, or possibly shavings from an old 2B pencil. Some wags suggested that the correct name should have been the 20/20/20 but the original inventor wanted to simplify the name so that it rolled off the tongue more easily. Unfortunately he never did specify which "20" he eliminated, ensuring raging controversy and heated debate. Was this a marketing ploy or plain stupidity? Only history will tell.
The interesting thing about this cartridge was that it was way ahead of its time (like most failed contrivances ....funny about that). Of even greater importance was the fact that the cartridge proved to be way too much for mice and like vermin, but way too little for anything much bigger, such as a hamster, guinea pig or gerbil. When it came to anything likely to attack, like a rat, forget it. You'd do better to spit and swear at your quarry. Consequently the intrepid hunter found that they never really had the right gun-cartridge combination for anything. So, with 20/20 hindsight he or she would have brought along some thing totally different and more practical.
I'm also doing research on the "50/50 Chance", based on the blown out, shortened, venturi shouldered, double rebated rim .284 Winchester. It's inventor just wanted to give all those .284 lovers out there some more grist for their mills.
My next project will be to track down a "40/60 Split-Fold". Apparently its a cartridge thats so useful, you'll never know how you lived without it! Does anybody have any other cartridges like the ones I'm describing?
Happy New Year. Cheeky

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Eric.
I'm just fine, you to I hope.
I dont have that book you metioned, but I have Ken Howell's book: "Designing and forming custom cartridges", and there are a few there too. But thank you for your tip. Maybe someday, I'll get that one too. [Wink]

Hello Cheeky.
I'm sorry but I've not heard about any of those you mentioned here. I dont think I have fallen in so deep yet, in my collecting. But someday maybe I'm there too. [Wink]
Interresting, though!

I have taken some fotos of my collection, but I need help from a friend to put them out on the forum.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
When are you going to include shotgun cartridges? By the way I have some WWII .45acp steel ammo. Do you need a steel cartridge for your collection? E-mail me.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike338.
I have some shotgun -cartriges already, but I've forgot to mention that.
I have:
I'd, of course, love to have a steel -45!!
I'll mail you. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did I mention that the "40/60 Split Fold" can handle a wide variety of loads?
What about the ".49 Frisbee"? It fills that all important niche between the ".480 Ruger" and the Fifties. The fascinating thing about this round is that the bullet only weighs about 40 grains and it leaves the muzzle at a truly frightening velocity. It travels sideways to it's target, cutting aerodynamic drag while maintaining imparted rotation. The light weight means that the bullet can achieve stupifying velocities with modern fast burning powders. When the bullet strikes something solid it tends to un-keyhole then flip over inside the target, rapidly losing velocity due to the large frontal area and light weight but still creating all kinds of gruesome devistation. (Lets hope that the U.N. doesn't find out!)
What's the point? Well, it pleases all the small-caliber, high-velocity, light-bullet people and gives the large-caliber, big-projectile, low-speed lovers their jollies too. In a home defence situation you can shoot under doorways. In a hunting scenario the bullet leaves a tiny little slit in a valuable pelt, which is easily sown up. In a tactical situation and the right grip on your firearm you can shoot around corners or over a fence without all that expensive property damage. Holding your gun Gangsta Style allows the bullet to pass between good-guys that are way too close together for an otherwise safe shot. Of course, "limp-wristing" creates a boomerang effect. The shooter seldom gets a chance to repeat and learn this bad habit. It's what the shooting world really needs right about now.
I don't believe I just wrote that. I think I've been using a little too much powder solvent in a poorly ventilated area.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheeky.
And if this does'nt take up all your time........ try to suck yourself!!!

I've heard it takes some practise, but
I believe you can handle that, good!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow 460wby, what's up? I didn't think I could manage to annoy anyone with those little ramblings. I'm not trying to denegrate an interest of yours. I think that unusual or historic cartridges are fascinating. I had a nifty collection once, including some pinfires and a bunch of rare European and British rounds from way back when. A large number were given to me by a friend who worked in a police armory in a Commonwealth Nation. These rounds were unfired and came from a variety of sources. I had to disbandon the collection for reasons that had nothing to do with my behavior. I happen to live in an area of the U.S. that hardly abounds in collectable cartridges, so I'm doing different things. The reason I wrote that stuff was that I was thinking about the amazing number of cartridges developed in the last 1.5 centuries the amazing similarities and differences that exist and the stories that go with them. There had to be something funny to come up with! It's not compulsory to read any of my drivel, and there's worse crap on the internet. I'm sorry if I've done some great personal damage to you or any other cartridge collectors out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Cheeky.
I'm VERY sorry if I misunderstod your jokes. [Frown]
I apollogize a houndred times!!!!

I thought you was having fun with my hobby, and the way I was writing. I'm sure there is a lot of errors in my writing, as english is not my "mothers -language". [Razz]

Once again: SORRY, I was in a bad mood!! [Frown]
(you've quite a fantasy, though [Wink] )

one of us
posted Hide Post
460wby,
It's cool, and now we're all friends again! That is one of the things I like about the shooting community. My patients are always accusing me of not speaking plain English. That's a worry.I do try.
Plus, you should hear me when I'm in a foul mood.
I had a 45-70 blackpowder line throwing blank cartridge in my collection, a lot of "sanitized" ammo from S.E. Asia, a .310 Cattle-Killer, and quite a few English Bulldog and Rook cartridges, amongst other oddities.
Cheeky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
460wby.

If you need help posting a picture of your collection, just stop by and we will get it out on the web.

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, If you get hold of a 450 Dakota I would be interested to take a closer look at it, as my thoughts for my CZ 550 are turning that way.

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheeky.
Friends again!! [Big Grin]
What happend to your collection???

Magnar.
Make sure you drop by the dentist before you test-shoots the Dakota, and make him look over your fillings os they are properly fixed! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Testing this picture-thing. [Eek!]
 -

YES!!! (My 416 Taylor)

Now I got it!! More to come.

[ 01-14-2003, 16:36: Message edited by: 460wby ]