New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for 358 winchester loaders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I started reloading about a year ago-so far I have only loaded the 358 winchester. Didnt realize how long it would take to find the best load, but I think I finally did.
I have settled on sierra game king 225s, IMR 4320.
I am using this set up for whitetails, most shots 60 yards and under, but I do have the possibility of getting a shot at 150 yards.
I was hoping to test my choice on a deer this year-unfortunately, no deer wanted to participate in my test. I did quite a bit of reading on loading this round. Some said a 225 grain bullet under my hunting conditions was a good choice, some said a 200 or 180 grain bullet would be better.
Basically, I am wondering why I SHOULD NOT use the set up I am using for the conditions I will be hunting. Why would a lighter bullet be better than what I am using? What would be the reasons for going to a lighter bullet, and does it even apply to my situation?
THanks for any comments.

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The only reasons for a lighter bullet would be reduced recoil, or reduced cost if you are talking cast bullets. Some like a more "explosive" bullet on smaller game, for quicker kills, or to prevent pass-throughs when shooting into herds (think piggies).

The 358 is a 250 yard cartridge, even with the 250's. As far as trajectory, it doesn't make a hill of beans difference. If you have a good load with the 225's, the recoil is not keeping you from shooting it accurately, and you don't worry about bullet performance, shoot the dad-gummed thing! JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If your current loads are producing acceptable accuracy and function flawlessly through your rifle then you have no reason to fret about using a lighter bullet. The only 2 reasons I would think to use a bullet lighter than your 225 gr. would be for a flatter trajectory at extended ranges which you've already stated you aren't going over 150 yards and the other is more rapid expansion from the lighter, typically more frangible bullet which I doubt you should worry about that either.
I have a 30/06 that I shoot most of my game animals with. This rifle really likes Sierra 180 grain bullets and shoots them well at max loads and functions flawlessly, it also performs very well on Deer, Elk, Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, and Mtn Goat. Some people say why don't you use 150's for Antelope and 165's for Deer and.....blah blah blah. It works very well just the way it is and I have only one load to memorize the ballistics, from 25 yards to 425 yards I know exactly where this load will strike.
Your 225's should serve you well for Deer, Bear and even up to Elk if you will hunt them.
Good luck......

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
About 30 years ago I shot a considerable number of whitetails using the Hornady 250 gr RN in the 358 Win. I never thought of using less bullet and was always very pleased with the results! I would not go lighter unless you would be hunting to ranges of 300 yards or so.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter what, someone will think your bullet is too heavy or too light or not pointy enough or too pointy. Or the powder is too slow or too fast.

The question is do they expand like you want them to?
Since you were not able to get a deer to participate in expansion tests this year I can only speculate that you hunt with an ugly rifle.
According to my brother if you have a nice looking rifle the deer will want to be killed by it. Big Grin

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots use it. My dad has an older blr in 358. I have a new one in the same caliber. We both shoot the same load with 200 grain hornadys. They are extremely accurate. So we use them. I would be concerned about useing a bullet on the light side over the heavy side. We have taken deer out to about 160 yards with this load. Performance on deer well I am not very good at following blood trails. I never have too. I use the 225 sierras in my 350 mag extremely accurate. This bullet is great for deer. I am pushing it faster than you would in the 358. It holds up just fine. I have yet to recover a bullet. All the deer I have shoot with the 350 I thought I missed. They just disappear from the scope. Wink So if the load shoots and you can put the bullet where it is supposed to go use it. The 358 deserves way more credit than it gets. It is a very capable 250 yard cartridge with a 100 yard zero.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you've got the right bullet..
225 gk...
i use 748, but have been thinking about some 4320 loads... but 748 has worked so well for me in that round...

hornady 200gr are designed for the 35rem, and are basically frangible... they blowup, nearly like BTs.

the 250 is a big soft smasher...

the 200 and 225 x bullets work nice.. the 225 is rather long...

rem 180s are a decent whitetail bullet

the 150SP is a joke, but it can go 3000fps

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I notice there is no mention of the Nosler 225gr Partition?

It's my favorite 358Win bullet.

A number of years ago, Nosler changed the ogive on these to shorten up the bullet, giving the 358 a little more powder room. The good folks at Nosler told me this bullet was developed more for 358Win/35 Whelen usage than the faster 35's like the Norma and STA.

The last deer I shot with the Winchester M-88, the 225 PT entered the base of the neck, and was bulging the skin on the back of the right ham. This clipped the front edge of the pelvis, and other than one rib going in contacted no other bones. The recovered bullet weighed 203gr.
Excellent performance I thought.

I have had great results from Varget, and 748.

Mark

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CC, I've used a lot of different weight Bullets in various 35cal rifles over the years. That specific 225gr Sierra is an absolutely great Bullet and since it is shooting well for you, if you have Game run off it won't be because of the Bullet.

Actually, the same can be said for nearly all the 35cal Bullets. They are designed for Hunting and once a person uses them it is hard to reach past the rifles that use them.

The 180gr Speer is designed for 35Rem ballistics. If you have some young`uns that you want to break into Hunting, they work absolutely great at 35Rem velocities. I used to drag Deer for a group of Elders that all used the 180gr Speer and they kept me busy.

The 200gr Hornady Bullets are also excellent, both the RNs and SPs. The 200gr SP is a tough bullet and is best used "into" a shoulder. If it is placed Lungs-to-Lungs, you get to hone your Tracking skills. I probably use more of the 200gr SP Hornadys than anything else though.

The 220gr Speer is also a fine Bullet.
---

That 225gr Sierra Bullet looks like an ICBM all polished up and setting beside me on the table next to my reading chair. Great Bullet!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark,
you know, i haven't tried that nosler part, that i recall... might need to give it a try

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of info/opinions/fist hand knowledge I was looking for. Thanks to everyone.
To addresss certain points that were brought up. As far as the 225s being a bit long- I have the OAL just about where the manuals state it should be. At that length there are no issues with how it feeds through my gun. Never had a cartridge jam, and I test it often. I have 3 magazines for this rifle, and I use all of them regularly to make sure there is know jamming issues. I obtain the book suggested OAL, while having the case loaded to a grain less than whatthe manuals list as the maximum load. No signs of pressure-I think I am OK as far as all of that is concerned.
According to the books, my load is just over 2400 fps. Ibelieve the books list some powders giving closer to 2500fps and more(I think 748 gets you that velocity), but I think what I have in the velocity department is good enough. If anyone disagrees, please say so. Again I am a novice so any opinions are greatly appreciated.
I did start off with the 225 Noslers- someone had mentioned to me to find a load and use the Sierra to practice with since they are so much cheaper. Problem was, the Sierra were shooting much better through my rifle, no matter what powder and measurements I used. The accuracy was good with the Nosler,s but great with the Sierras.
And as far as the theory that ugly guns dont get deer- I got 7 deer in the past three years, with a gun so ugly, people cry when they see it. A savage 111 with a plastic stock, blued, with silver scope rings, a black scope, and a leather sling that belons on some type of cowboy gun, certainly not a black plastic gun. Its so ugly, I think I scared the deer to death before even pulling the trigger.
The Browning im using is so pretty, but I dont think I had a deer within ten miles of me this season. Im starting to think your theory is backwards. Wink

Posts: 156 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
About 40+ years ago when I got my first .358 Winchester, I used the 250 gr.Winchester Silvertip in it. Despite all the bad-mouthing Silvertips got, they worked excellently in my gun for game up to and including moose, and were very accurate. So, I bought a bunch of them.

Now I am almost out of those Silvertips, so will have to change to something else if I live much longer. Am thinking that will be a Barnes TSX in as close to 225 grains weight as they make (haven't looked yet).

Anyway, for all 'round use your 225s sound just about perfect to me.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote