Notify
Tools

Chronograph help!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi All,

These are the options for me: CED M2 or Millennium Chronograph or the CHRONY F1, Alpha, Beta, Gamma Chronograph.

Which one would you suggest and why?

Thanks Guys
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the best. Mine is an Oehler but I don't think they are offered to the public at this time. I haven't kept up with the other brands, but ONLY buy the best regardless of price (within reason of course).

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same Chrony for at least 10 years. Almost never misses and is very repeatable.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a CHRONY with the separate display (F1 master?) for about 6 years. I've done extensive handload chronographing for 45 colt, 45 ACP, 30-06, 375 RUM and 458 Lott.

Pro:
1) Unit and display seem to work well. I had it out early this November in a rain/snow storm, and the unit still performed flawlessly. I was impressed.

2) CHRONY will help you out if you accidentally shoot the chronograph. I never have, but it's nice of them to do this.

3) Unit & display seem to be well made and durable. They work on a single 9-volt battery, with some sort of R45 jacked cable between them. Would be easy to replace if you damaged it.

Con:
1) The overhead screen setup is flimsy, piece of crap engineering. I would have paid more money for a better screen setup.

If you do buy the CHRONY, I would recommend you get the separate display, and spend a few extra bucks on the carrying case.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beta Chrony; reliable and inexpesive.

Big Grin

I've shot mine (right between the eyes with a 9.3x74R - Wow! DRT!) Chrony replaced it!

Wink

Like pretty much anything else a chronograph is only as good as the operator. Read the instructions, follow them and set it up the same every time. You'll get reliable readings.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Con:
1) The overhead screen setup is flimsy, piece of crap engineering. I would have paid more money for a better screen setup

thumb
I agree with you on that. What I did was put my three piece screen plastic together then put a layer of clear packing tape on both sides. I replaced the top portion of of the metal supports with threaded rod. $.50 fix and it now stays together. I always use the screens.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Hi Johanv-

There are quite a few of us that have asked the same question. Being electronic gadgetry, chronographs do tend to evolve a little over time.

Check out the latest reviews and definitely the old posts here on AR for opinions.

Here is a rather lengthy and detailed post regarding my saga with PACT.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...261028311#3261028311

I ended up going with a CED Millennium (on sale from Sinclair's for $187) and I am very happy with it so far. I meant to do a follow up review for all the good folks on here that gave their opinions and followed the story, but I just haven't taken the time to do so yet. I hope to soon.

==========================================
Here is the CED Mllennium and some of the features:

* Base System Includes - chron CPU, dual lens self-adjusting digitally controlled sensors, with 20 ft. shielded cable, skyscreens and 2 ft. mounting bracket!

* Folding Mounting Bracket - 2 ft. bracket folds in half for compact storage
* Wide Screens - larger sensing area than most is possible due to "Dual Lens" sensor technology
* Advanced Error Warning - so you can detect problems early
* Easy assembly - sensors slip on ends of a square mounting bracket, held by adjustable tension plate, no screws or bolts
* Faster With Minimal Lag Time - The official IPSC match chron, will keep up with any race gunner, even full auto weapons
* Voice Chip Technology - one and 1/2 seconds after each shot a voice tells you the velocity!
* Permanent Memory - stores 1,000 shots (500 per string). Review and edit strings within the chronograph. No small pieces of paper!
* USB Connectivity & Software - shoot all day then dump data to a PC USB port for further analysis
* Auto-Shut Down Mode - to save battery life without affecting data in memory
* Improved Sensor Design - the only digitally controlled sensors that self adjust for varied lighting conditions
* All The Functions You Need - high, low and average velocity; extreme spread, standard deviation, edit and omit functions, 10X mode records velocity in decimeters, meters or feet;...even IPSC Power Factor calculations. Need to crunch some numbers? Do it right on the chronograph keypad.
* Full Warrantee - CED warrantees their products against manufacturing defects for two years. If something fails to work, they will replace it.
* A "True" Infrared (IR) Lighting Option ($89) - will work under any condition, even indoors or in complete darkness. No other chronograph has this option and it is far more useful than a "proof screen" when if there is not enough light. Don't be fooled by tinted tops and filters that claim to emit Infrared.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, there's the
<any chrono is better than no chrono> fact out there.. ANYTHING is better than nothing ..

i like shooting chrony "master" editions, with the remote "head"

have had and tried many others ... keep going back to using a chrony ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
IMHO, chronographs are one of the items that the old adage "when you buy quality, you only cry once" is especially true. I own a chrony beta master (the easy way to remember which model it is is call it the master-beta, heh heh heh) and it has worked OK for me but it has some ideosyncracies, mainly if it is cloudy or towards evening it can be hard to get readings. This is a real PITA when you are working on load development and get error messages on 1/3 of your bullets. However, it pretty much works perfectly on sunny afternoons so it is not a big issue. I don't think it would be too a big concern in S. Africa <G>.

I really like having a separate display, so much that I cannot see getting something else anymore.

Anyway, if I ever have to purchase another one I'd pool all my available money and get the best thing I could afford. I'd want a port to connect to a computer and a separate display but those are the two main options I'd really really like to have.

Another thing about spending money here, is that aside from the frustration and time spent if you are working up loads using expensive components a few error readings can add up to the difference in price of a better unit.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingAny body that thinks Chrony is a good buy, quality product, that is well engineered deserves one. Ive owned three different models. I finally bought one of the last Oehler's;Corvair vs Rolls Royce. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Gamma Chrony for about 15 years. Shot the first one & got the replacement at very reasonable cost. I do not use the computer interface but the unit has been very reliable. Yes it does have display issues when too hot. The screen system is easy to modify with a home made set up.

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 December 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
dancingAny body that thinks Chrony is a good buy, quality product, that is well engineered deserves one. Ive owned three different models. I finally bought one of the last Oehler's;Corvair vs Rolls Royce. thumbdownroger

So you're saying they have issues and it only took you 3 tries to figure that out? <G>

I would have recommended an Oehler hands down but as you know it is a moot point now since they do not make them for reloaders any more.

Maybe someone might read the forum here and decide to make a limited run of them at some point in the future (hint hint...)

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you get, get one that has a remote display. When you get my age, you can't read the numbers any more from 20 feet without optics and my binocs don't focus that close. Especially if you're at a gun range where other people will be shooting. In your backyard, where you could walk up to it between every shot, it wouldn't matter.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Yep, the Oehler is THE choice, glad I bought mine before they stopped making them. I had a PACT, POS. I have run stacked comparison w/ friends Chrony & a CED, the Chrony is really only a useful POS. Yes it works, if you get the shot perfectly centered over the screen, no more than 6" high, w/o shooting the box unit. All three recorded within 5-8fps of each other but it's not the accuracy but the reliability.
The Oehler missed 0 shots over a 2hr period. The CEd about 5%, the Chrony almost 30%. I can shoot over the Oehler screens upto 18" or so above, The Chrony misses 50% of the shots w/ bullet placement that high. The CED is a pretty good piece of gear except the plastic screen holder is a bit fragile. If I bought one, I would rebuild the holder out of one piece aluminum tubing & fix the screens to that.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

We are limited here at the Southern tip of Africa as to what we get from the States. At a glance these are the only 2 options/brands available, and we could easily pay double or more on what they price in the states. The Alpha master is available here at roughly $230-$250. The CED Millenium M2 Chronograph @ $320.

I appreciate your comments and help!
Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the CED M2 and it works fine. If you get this one, be sure to use the screens when the sun is out. I had several errors until I used the sun screens. After that, no more issues.