New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 S&W & Bullets w/o a cannelure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want load up some 325grn. Speer gold dots for my smith and wesson 500 and they don't have a cannelure (I plan on buying the corbin tool soon). I have a set of .50ae dies with a taper crimp die could/should I use that? Or should I just use the roll crimp and "faahgetaboutit".

To a Republican every day is 4th of July.

To a Democrat every day is April 15th!!

Posts: 86 | Location: California | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I would see how much Lee would charge for a factory crimp die in 500 S&W

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have e-mailed LEE and am waiting for a response.

I have e-mailed ULTRAMAX ammo also. They load this bullet in thier factory offerings. They don't have a cannelure added to the bullet and it looks like the rounds are taper crimped.

To a Republican every day is 4th of July.

To a Democrat every day is April 15th!!

Posts: 86 | Location: California | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Hornady taper crimp die that came in my 4 die 500 S&W set. Been using the 335 grain FP Rainier projectiles, no cannelure either....I can get a pretty tight "grip" with no case distortion etc.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to Speer about getting data for their bullet to reload in the 500 S&W, and they replied: "Our 0.500 bullet is NOT made for the 500 S&W, it does not have a cannelure for crimping the bullet. Thus the reason for no data for the 500 S&W as ours is for the 50 AE."

Because the bullets could "back out" of the case in a 500 S&W from the recoil because of no cannelure I asked Speer if they could be loaded and fired like a single shot.

They stated: "While the Speer 500 don't have a cannelure, neither are the jackets thick enough (0.015") and are best suited for the semi-auto guns. What you may see (more related to pressure than velocity) is a battering of the forcing cone on the pistol, which will leave deposits in that area and subsequent firing will take the deposits and barrel metal together, damaging the barrel. If you stay below 1,500 fps, they should work in the manner (single shot) you're asking about. For us to offer a 500 S&W bullet, it would take both increasing the jacket thickness and adding a cannelure. This information comes from our Bullet Engineer, Steve Moore."

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the Speer 325 grn bullet in my 500 S&W, using a reduced load of 9 -11 grns of Titegroup. I seat the bullet deep enough to use the roll crimp die and crimp over the radius of the bullet nose. It's worked fine so far, no evidence of the bullets moving, although they might if heavier loads were used. I haven't settled on what the final load will be, looks like the sweet spot is about 9.5 grns. I like the Speer's because they're a lot cheaper than the Hornady's, Sierra's, or CPB's, and accuracy is good, at least at this velocity.

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
kahluahman...awesome quote lol

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote