New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you drilled your Chrony?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acquired my first chronograph a number of years ago because my brother shot his FA .50AE smack through the center of his Competition Electronics chrony. They had (have?) a $40 replacement policy, so I paid the $40 and he got a different chrony. Only thing left intact on that one was the housing.

Now I also have a Chrony chrony, which I've had for several years without a scratch. I'll probably kill it in short order now. lol

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto

Blew my chrony to pieces. Got another one and shot the sky screen a couple years later.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Oehler, three screens on a 5' rod. I set up the screens on a tripod about 5' from the muzzle. The tripod I have the screens mounted on has a bubble level on the head. That ensures that the head, screens are level.

Then I shoot off a bench rest, after triple checking to ensure that the barrel is pointed through the center of the screens.

It's not rocket science.

I shoot handguns off a bench too. Set up some sandbags to ensure everything is steady and accurately aimed.

It's not rocket science. I've fired 44 mag pistol, Garand, 8mm Mauser through it, also 54 cal. black powder. Never a problem with muzzle blast affecting the screens.

posted Hide Post
Ya I shot mine, Boy was it P,d off.Right through
it's little screan. It turned black. it really looked dead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a friends chrony...put a 180 grain partition right thru it...complete pass thru and VERY large exit wound. My buddy had it put on a plaque for christmas with the time and place and load data...all except the velocity.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Count me in, but not like others.

I was shooting a 3" 12-gauge with sabot slugs and one or both of the two plastic halves that hold the sabot in the barrel got into my Pact skyscreens. Made some very serious noise, but fortunately only shattered the easily replaced plastic on the skyscreens, sparing the metal braces and the two detector eyes.

Be careful with the muzzleloader sabots and other shotgun wads as well.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote