Find
Notify
Tools

2400 Equivalent ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Is there a powder equivalent to 2400 or very similar ? I'm looking to get around the 16 to 1700 FPS mark from a 22" '92 Winchester in 38-40 and I don't know of any other powder that can do it.

Roger

Posts: 1035 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Don't have any 38-40 experience.
What bullet would I pick for quickload?
What 2400 powder charge.

Here is generic 180 TC.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Sorry, forgot to mention.....180gr hard cast powder coat..I assume the above list is all the appropriate powders and loads for a 180gr 38-40 ?
I based my question on an article from " GUNS " magazine...

2400 is basically unobtanium...

Roger

Posts: 1035 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Sorry, forgot to mention.....180gr hard cast powder coat..I assume the above list is all the appropriate powders and loads for a 180gr 38-40 ?
I based my question on an article from " GUNS " magazine...

2400 is basically unobtanium...

Roger

The way I read it, your question is pretty much answered. Unless I'm missing something.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
accurate 4100 is a scoch faster than 2400.
but it meters better,,, which is hard to do.

probably won't find the express speed 38-40 data your looking to duplicate, but the back off 10% thing usually pans out pretty well.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I was not making myself clear...my question should have been...which powder can I use as an alternative to 2400 as it is unavailable and appears to be the one to get the velocity I'm after.
IMR 4227 is also hard to get but apparently ADI 2205 is the same. I have some 2205 but it also is near impossible to get. So I can assume there is no powder equivalent to 2400 ?

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, dont get to hung up on that last 100 fps.
Trajectory difference is nil, and killing power with a cast bullet will depend on accuracy first, expansion second.
I think your best bet will be with the 4227 family IMR/H. and 2205. Grab which ever one you can get hold of. One tin will make a lot of loads.
I can ask my mate in Orange if he has any. He has thinned his herd of guns, and at one point had a good bit of powder. Can it be shipped for AU to Tas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
h110

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
No experience with 38-40, but experience with H110.

I don't think H110 will work properly in such low pressure round and especially low filling rates.

I would like to give a try to VV N110. It is NOT a spherical powder and is not as dense as H110. So you will get better filling ratio and much better consistency shot to shot.

It is just my estimation,
Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony, I'm not chasing super velocity but if I can get around that 16 to 17 mark, I'd be happy, I'll do some loads with 2205 and see how they go. Thanks to all for your comments !

Roger

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Would Lil'Gun be an option?

Steve...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
There may be several options, but it all depends on what's available here in Australia.

Roger

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i like power pistol in "cowboy" loads .. i don't like h110, as it burns like charcoal until it hits higher pressure than I like

got power pistol?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Hodgdon's Lil'Gun . Clean burning, very accurate, and that is in my wife's 44 Mag. rifle. That was after trying 2400, H110 and 4227. It should work well in your application.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote