THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    376 Steyr 250 grn TTSX...any thoughts - case capacity = 76.2 grns of water

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

376 Steyr 250 grn TTSX...any thoughts - case capacity = 76.2 grns of water
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
The TTSXs are boat tails so they are going to get seated deeper...

All I can find is 250 grn Sierra loads...so not comfortable with substituting?

I have RL-15 and Varget...any thoughts on mins and maxs

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Somebody throw me a bone...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
what is the length of the bullet? i'll put in quickload

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
jeff,

its a boatail total length is 1.44
the boattail portion its about.200
see what it thinks of with varget and rl15

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Making quite a few assumptions I got the following:
Cartridge          : .376 Steyr
Bullet             : .375, 250, Barnes 'X' S 37582
Useable Case Capaci: 62.028 grain H2O = 4.027 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.110 inch = 78.99 mm
Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm

Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.

Matching Maximum Pressure: 56564 psi, or 390 MPa

or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 105 %

Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time

Hodgdon VARGET                     102.4     56.7     3.67    2480    96.4    56565    7012   1.115  ! Near Maximum !

Alliant Reloder-15                 100.2     57.3     3.71    2519    96.7    56565    7347   1.112  ! Near Maximum !

The best other loads seemed to be:

Alliant Reloder-17                 102.0     61.2     3.96    2562    96.5    56565    7618   1.084  ! Near Maximum !
Ramshot BigGame                    103.6     61.2     3.96    2556    97.1    56565    7535   1.091  ! Near Maximum !
Winchester 748                      92.6     57.0     3.69    2539    99.1    56565    7136   1.100  ! Near Maximum !
Winchester 760                     105.0     63.5     4.11    2538    91.7    55988    7678   1.095  ! Near Maximum !
Hodgdon BL-C2                       94.9     59.2     3.84    2532    98.3    56565    7346   1.108  ! Near Maximum !
Hodgdon H414                       102.2     62.2     4.03    2519    92.0    56565    7572   1.105  ! Near Maximum !
IMR 4320                           102.3     57.6     3.73    2512    97.1    56565    7089   1.099  ! Near Maximum !
Accurate 2520                       97.1     57.2     3.71    2511    99.5    56565    6952   1.118  ! Near Maximum !
Accurate 2495                       99.0     53.5     3.47    2500   100.0    56565    6608   1.134  ! Near Maximum ! 

These are should be fairly conservative loads, depending on your rifle's specifics of course, but without lots more information this is the best I can do.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ghubert...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
A few more data points for anybody who is interested...

Case Length = 2.35

COL = 3.25

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just E-mailed barnes to see what they recommend for this bullet in 375H&H. It seemes like it would be an excellant bullet for this caliber and just about anygame you could think of.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
A few more data points for anybody who is interested...

Case Length = 2.35

COL = 3.25

I'm not sure if you feel I was overly circumspect in my post above, do you have the information you need Mike?

Your new information changes things somewhat so I may as well ask you for everything I need... Big Grin

What is your barrel length and if possible the water capacity of a fired case?

Also to help me model the bullet more accurately, what is the diameter at the base of the boat-tail?

Also the velocity of a know load would be useful in tuning the software.

That increase in OAL for example might translate to a grain or more powder being required to get the pressure and hence velocity back up to the level of the shorter load.

This is the trouble with Quickload derived data of course.....

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Mike

The TTSX's crimped at the last band with RL-15 shoot great in my .375 Wby, FWIW. Yeah , they're long but don't have to be seated way out...

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The TTSXs are boat tails so they are going to get seated deeper...

All I can find is 250 grn Sierra loads...so not comfortable with substituting?

I have RL-15 and Varget...any thoughts on mins and maxs

Mike
I read something in my Barnes manual about the 376 Steyr so I called them and they said they got excellant accurate and velocity with Tac so I bought a pound but have not reloaded with any of it since my last trip to Africa was in 07. I used VARGET AND 270 GRAIN A FRAMES at 2595FPS. SHOT COMPLETELY through a big Eland at 165 yards. This is not a maximum load and factory 270 loads are a little hot in my 23" barrel Montana Arms rifle. They are at 2695 FPS. I would like to shoot 250 grain and 300 grain bullets in my 376. Keep us posted.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
66.2 grns of BLC-2 with 250 ttsx generated 2615 fps and 3/4 inch groups. COL is 3.285

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
66.2 grns of varget with 250 ttsx generated 2615 fps and 3/4 inch groups. COL is 3.285

I guess that should work!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
QL predicts that varget load to be over 70K psi...

at 3.285, QL suggests
h380
h414
ramshot hunter
i4831
rel15

QUICKLOAD PROJECTIONS NOT RELOADING DATA
UNPROVEN
LIKLEY UNSAFE
rel15 looks easy.. 1000% load SAYS 2575, 60.7gr, 52k psi...
TO 63.75GR, 60KPSI, 2700FPS

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn ... gotta get my 1909 Argentine .376 Steyr blued! Is ready to rock ... custom scope mounts and all, but is in the white still.

I like the chambering. Should be a good full range cartridge for North America.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All oops...it is BLC-2 not varget.

I will edit the post when I get to a real computer

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All it is blc-2 not varget

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
makes sense.. blc2 and h414 tend to run close together....

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jeefe,

I am curious as to what quick load says about the load with BLc-2

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
QL not on laptop.. will check later, sorry buddy

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
How long is the barrel Mike?

For a 22" I get the following:
Bullet             : .375, 250, Barnes 'TSX' BT Custom
Useable Case Capaci: 66.926 grain H2O = 4.345 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.285 inch = 83.44 mm
Barrel Length      : 22.0 inch = 558.8 mm
Powder             : Hodgdon BL-C2

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 1.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-10.0   89    59.58   2414    3235   42609   7577     96.6    1.253
-09.0   89    60.24   2440    3306   44037   7656     97.0    1.237
-08.0   90    60.90   2467    3377   45510   7733     97.3    1.219
-07.0   91    61.57   2493    3450   47032   7807     97.7    1.201
-06.0   92    62.23   2519    3523   48610   7879     98.0    1.183
-05.0   93    62.89   2545    3597   50245   7947     98.3    1.166
-04.0   94    63.55   2572    3671   51940   8013     98.5    1.149
-03.0   95    64.21   2598    3746   53697   8075     98.8    1.132  ! Near Maximum !
-02.0   96    64.88   2624    3822   55520   8134     99.0    1.115  ! Near Maximum !
-01.0   97    65.54   2650    3899   57411   8191     99.2    1.099  ! Near Maximum !
+00.0   98    66.20   2676    3976   59372   8243     99.4    1.083  ! Near Maximum !
+01.0   99    66.86   2702    4053   61409   8293     99.5    1.067  ! Near Maximum !
+02.0  100    67.52   2728    4132   63523   8339     99.7    1.052  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+03.0  101    68.19   2754    4211   65719   8381     99.8    1.037  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+04.0  102    68.85   2780    4290   68001   8420     99.9    1.022  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+05.0  103    69.51   2806    4370   70373   8455     99.9    1.007  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba     98    66.20   2788    4315   71582   7931    100.0    1.006  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba     98    66.20   2517    3517   47613   8161     94.6    1.185

If you can, I know it's a pain, measure your case water capacity that would be very handy in refining your data.

From the above it look like it's a warm but ok load.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
GWB,

I will need to measure when I get back I am on my way to a moose hunt. BBL length is 23 inches

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
76.2 grains of water

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Oops, that buggers things up! Big Grin

Bullet             : .375, 235, Barnes 'TSX' 37552
Useable Case Capaci: 63.131 grain H2O = 4.099 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.285 inch = 83.44 mm
Barrel Length      : 23.0 inch = 584.2 mm
Powder             : Hodgdon BL-C2

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 1.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-10.0   94    59.58   2498    3463   47676   7138     97.6    1.225
-09.0   95    60.24   2525    3540   49387   7204     97.9    1.206
-08.0   96    60.90   2553    3617   51160   7267     98.2    1.188
-07.0   97    61.57   2580    3695   52999   7327     98.5    1.170
-06.0   98    62.23   2607    3773   54912   7384     98.8    1.152  ! Near Maximum !
-05.0   99    62.89   2634    3853   56903   7438     99.0    1.134  ! Near Maximum !
-04.0  100    63.55   2662    3933   58975   7488     99.2    1.117  ! Near Maximum !
-03.0  101    64.21   2689    4013   61132   7535     99.4    1.100  ! Near Maximum !
-02.0  102    64.88   2716    4095   63379   7579     99.5    1.083  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
-01.0  103    65.54   2743    4177   65721   7619     99.7    1.067  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+00.0  104    66.20   2770    4260   68162   7655     99.8    1.051  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+01.0  105    66.86   2797    4344   70708   7687     99.9    1.035  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+02.0  106    67.52   2824    4428   73365   7716     99.9    1.019  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+03.0  107    68.19   2851    4513   76140   7741    100.0    1.004  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+04.0  108    68.85   2878    4598   79039   7762    100.0    0.989  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+05.0  109    69.51   2905    4684   82069   7780    100.0    0.974  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba    104    66.20   2876    4592   82467   7311    100.0    0.979  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba    104    66.20   2614    3794   54437   7698     96.0    1.147  ! Near Maximum !

QL assumes a case volume, filled to the mouth of the case with a flat meniscus, to be 80 grains of water.

Is you load compressed as the newer calculation implies or is a little loose in the case like the old one? ~( the load density of QL default case volume made for ~98% )

The smaller volume means that QL is now out by around a 100fps and predicts the load to be around 68Kpsi, a point where primer pockets become loose after a few firings, case head expansion becomes noticeable, and in my rifles the case head itself becomes marked by the bolt face.

Did you measure the capacity all the way to overflow or to the shoulder?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Measured it to overflow...BTW I noticed that you used a 235 grn bullet this time instead of 250...

I re-measured and got the same water weight.

Funny the Hodgdon website shows 68.0C with a 250 grn sierra as max as well as 67.6 with a 260 AB

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I use the 235 TSX with your custom length and boat-tail data as the basis of modelling the 250 grain bullet. I didn't re-name this time but did use the right data.

The Hogdon data makes sense as those lead and copper bullets are both a fair bit shorter than your bullet.

Jeffe, AS, what do you boys make of it?

It's likely that the burn rate of the blc2 in the QL database is a bit faster burning than the lot you have, adjusting the charge for speed takes me back to the pressure figures I gave two posts ago.

Thank you for taking the time to measure your cases, the more simulations I run in QL the better I understand it's strengths and weaknesses.

PS. How did the moose hunt go? Smiler