New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality of Bertram brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Loaded up 10 once fired 10.75x68 cases and found the quality not nearly that of RWS brass. The neck tension would not hold the bullet very well, the rims are thin and the necks would crush when attempting to crimp. No problem what so ever with RWS. New Bertram cases loaded without problem. Huntington's has Horneber brass. Has anyone tried it? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesSome .425 WR., Bertram brass I've used was on the soft side. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We tried Bertram brass in the past, in several calibers.

And without any doubt, these were the worst cases we have ever seen!

They had faults we have never seen in any brass before, or since.

I would not touch them.

Horneber is a much better brass.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67615 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We tried Bertram brass in the past, in several calibers.

And without any doubt, these were the worst cases we have ever seen!

They had faults we have never seen in any brass before, or since.

I would not touch them.
I agree completely!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
My dealing with Bertram brass is somewhat limited. Nonetheless, my experience mirrors what Saeed has noted.

The quality is POOR with tons of inconsistencies.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I got a bunch of this brass and it works fine when new. Would annealing the necks help or would it just be softer? I was going to order a factory crimp die from Lee, but they told me 8 months Frowner At least with the crimp die, the bullets would hold.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Annealing would worsen the problem. Bertram must use a different, softer alloy. Maybe to extend tooling life. Whatever the reason, it has been this way as long as I can remember. The only purpose the crimp performs on the big calibers is stopping bullet movement under recoil. I don't think a good crimp die will compensate for improper neck tension. You're just out more money with inadequate benefit.

If I had a bunch of new brass I'd sell it as new and take the loss. You're out a bunch more money if you sell it as once-fired or more. And it's practical value as shooter grade...well you've already experienced that.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, I bought 6bxs at $24/bx when Midway had them on sale for 2hrs. Have four bxs of new brass left. Problem is, anyone that shoots a 10.75 is probably an AR forum member and knows the stuff stinks. I could use them for plinking with sized .429 pistol bullets. CH4D is making me .426 and a .423 bullet sizers. Guess I could change the .423 to a .4235. The Bertram junk would probably hold those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 boxs of Horneber from Huntingtons on the way.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wonder.. just wonder, if you could get dave davidson to make you a neck sizer about .0015 or even more, smaller than what you have now ..

just a "last step" before you seat the bullets

that might let the bertram work.

we had a like problem with the 577 NE..

on the other hand, the new stuff is MUCH better

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote