THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    The best thing since nitro powder ? A holistic bullet concept.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best thing since nitro powder ? A holistic bullet concept.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like you to repeat this, when you are facing Mbogo at 30m with your 9.3 loaded with 154gr plastic tipped bullets, and he decides to come check what you are made of.

shocker

I think our friend petronius is back under a different name. Only a shill would suggest something as stupid as using a light frangible bullet to hunt Buffs.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Does Designer in German translate to Copier? Big Grin

No, that's Chinese, not German.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunflares:
Terminal ballistic experience (hunting) in .308 Win, 9,3x64 and 7x64, KJG works well in all these calibers, when asked I will explain for each caliber. ...
Soooooo...., I follow that by asking him. Big Grin
quote:
Then by sunflares:
Regarding .308 Win info, who do you think i am? Do you want to question me, who are you, Kajamoro Bell, the 7x57 elephant hunter with jacketed lead bullets? ...
That would be in response to where I Antied-Up and apparently Called the Bluff. thumbdown

Since sunflares(petronius, alekto) apparently has no experience with the Plagerized(copied, ripped-off, duplicated, cloned) Bullet Designed by Gerard - and "maybe" made by someone in Germany - if anyone reading this bunch of Marketing Bologna has any actual first-hand experience using the shilled Bullet, jump in and share with us some of your experience. Of course we will not hold our breath in anticipation. rotflmo

Huuuummmm. No fair that those of you using Gerard's Bullets begin posting how excellent they are, we are already aware of that. tu2
-----

Hey VV, This reminds me of when your close and personal buddy Big Grin, Warrior, used to make similar grandiose "Bullet claims" and was always handed his head on a platter by Gerard.

I'll always love the Warrior claim that a 0.458" Bullet will "Break-Up" on an Elk, but when pressed for the specifics we found out he was just making it up as he went along. Amazing!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
quote:
Does Designer in German translate to Copier? Big Grin

No, that's Chinese, not German.
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe these "Fake Gerard Bullets" are made in China. bewildered

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VVarrior wrote:

quote:
quote:
It is really nice to have one Caliber from fox to Cape buffalo so.

I would like you to repeat this, when you are facing Mbogo at 30m with your 9.3 loaded with 154gr plastic tipped bullets, and he decides to come check what you are made of.

Antelope Sniper wrote:

I think our friend petronius is back under a different name. Only a shill would suggest something as stupid as using a light frangible bullet to hunt Buffs.
Buffalo with KJG 9,3 154 gr First kill shot
The Buffalo and the KJG

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe these "Fake Gerard Bullets" are made in China.

If they were made in China, they wouldn't be $4.00 apiece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll always love the Warrior claim that a 0.458" Bullet will "Break-Up" on an Elk, but when pressed for the specifics we found out he was just making it up as he went along. Amazing!!!

Hot Core,

You are misrepresenting what I said .... not a "bullet" as you mention .... that is vague .... mention the type of bullet I referred to please .... it makes a huge difference which bullet is being shot. Quote me what I said please, so we can discuss it further.

Then we can also discuss your elk experience as so many other people called you out on on the elk thread to which you have not responded in any decent way. I can share many bullets tests with you that I have done with my friends including .458 Rhino bullets and .458 Claw bullets. In this regard we can talk about the choice of bullets that are to be used on very large animals, and if you are an elk expert, you will be able to follow what I will point out to you.

So give the link to what I said, as the link you quoted above is wrong in case you have not noticed.

You talk about love affairs, judging from the elk thread you certainly have a lot of love affairs.

And as far as making things up, we will soon come to publish photo's of bullets that have failed and then we can see if I make things up or not. So shoot your arrow.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... and if you are an elk expert, ...

Hot Core,

Here is the link on the elk discussion where you profess to know so much about elk ....

Take a look at the questions that are asked here by TEANCUM :

http://forums.accuratereloadin...191094431#2191094431

So my submission would be if you cannot answer these questions, then you are the one that is making things up, not so?

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:
So give the link to what I said, ...
It should be on page 3 of the link I gave.

Just looked and that Link is a carry over of the previous discussion where you made the claim to start with.

When I asked warrior "which Bullet" in the flicks he had that had broken-up on an Elk - there was nothing but silence. shocker animal

Same response as we are getting about """ALL""" the Game Killed with the Copied Gerard Bullet.

Come to think of it, I'll go on record as "guessing" warrior made all the shilling total-bologna posts in this thread under different Log-Ins. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
this is why i stick with "plain-jane" bullets - much less controversy, self-fulfilling prophecies and self-proclaimed experts (no offence intended toward anyone in particular, it is just a general comment) telling you why they will either bounce off a gopher or bring down an elephant, depending on the point of view; proven technology with many decades of results to back them up. i am probably the last person here who considers the partition bullet to be a "fancy" bullet.

i will qualify this by stating that i shoot moderately-fast rifles from .30/30 to .280rem, so my comments may not apply to situations where magnum velocities at close range are a problem for "vanilla" bullets; however, that can be a whole other controversy. be that as it may, i have never seen or experienced the bullet failures that i hear about with so many "premium" bullets. methinks we need to get out and shoot more - read and talk about it less.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

You are a liar and you know it - your skewed interpretation is devious.
Once again I challenge you to give the link of MY ACTUAL WORDS.

Let me give it to you, you jerk, frangible bullets break up in the 458 Win and 458 Lott.
It is conventional bullets that are frangible that break-up on large game.
Logical deductive reasoning will tell you that only frangible bullets will break up.

Your elk is tantamount to our big game like eland - we do not shoot elk in SA.
We shoot kudu and eland and frangible bullets break-up on them.
The force (F = m x v) with which these bullets strike the target is simply too much for them.
You can replace force with energy if you like.
The bullet threshold strength is exceeded - it is that simple.

Anyone can go read my comments on p3 of the link - they are very clear.
All the pictures I posted there speak a 1,000 words - just look again ...

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=331107668#331107668

It is only you that do not understand, because of your lack of practical experience.
Or could it be your stubbornness and just being willfull?
So please do not argue this point with me, you just make an asshole of yourself.

So tell us about your elk experience and answer those questions on elk.

I am waiting ... for your pearls of wisdom !!!

archer
Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Last time I did not even bother to answer your distorted question, but now that you persist, I am compelled to explain it to you one more time. Perhaps this time you will be able to see your twisted and distorted reasoning:

You quote ....

quote:
a 0.458" Bullet will "Break-Up" on an Elk

Then after much deliberation you proceed and say ....

quote:
When I asked warrior "which Bullet" in the flicks he had that had broken-up on an Elk - there was nothing

Now, are you out of your skull?

a) Will is future tense and implies that it will happen if such a bullet were to be used on an elk (as it happnes with our big game such as kudu and eland).

b)"had broken up on elk" is past tense and implies that it did happen specifically on elk.

You are wilfully twisting my words, and after I pointed this out to you, you still persist with your lies that you think you can get away with it by perpetuating the same lie over and over.

Let the above be a lesson for you in the English language - the difference between "will" and "had".

And let me quote from page 3 .... "What amazes me was that you could misread a simple post like this, and then at the same time makes a personal attack, much in line with the condescending way of talk against Alf, Larry and Jagter (labeling them as brain-dead)."

Warrior

posted Hide Post
I just read the ongoing discussion about "breaking bullets".

A further advantage of the KJG bulltes is, that in comparison to most of the lead bulltes, even bonded ones they will very unlikely break. That is the particular reason why I think they can be used on such a broad range of species from roe deer to buffalo. The cooper alloy is so hard, that it will penetrate at least 50 cm of animal, and stay stable on its way through the animals body. Most of the lead bulltes wont do that with the same reliability.

The idea behind the KJG is that the first part of the bullet seperats into splinters and the rest will generate the whole one the other side. My personal experiende is that even with a bad shot you can be lucky withe the KJG, when one splinter hits one of the vital organs or the spine the animal goes down.

I have some pictures of that:

KJG and Cape Buffalo

The picture shows the KJG before and after the penetration of the buffalo. By the way, the buffalo did not care so much by being killed by a non lead bullt Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a week ago I shot a Blue Wildebeest in the head between the eye and the ear at 99 paces.
It was standing behind bushes and only half the head was visible and clear - could not take another shot.
I used the farmer's 308 Win Mod 70 all weather with 168 gr PMP SP bullets.
MV = 2,559 fps and the striking velocity @ 100 yds is 2,335 fps per PMP's ballistic table.
The bullet blew up inside the head and could not exit ... the work of a frangible conventional bullet.
I would not trust this bullet on bodyshots when angles are involved and deeper penetration is called for.
Side-on shots behind the shoulder with minimum resistance will work, but limits your opportunities.
Note the modest striking velocity, and it still breaks up and does not exit.
I guess this tells pretty much the story of old fashioned conventional bullets.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warrior, thanks for the field report. Regardless of bullet selection, with shooting like that, the critter was coming home with you. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:
Hot Core,

You are a liar and you know it - your skewed interpretation is devious.
Once again I challenge you to give the link of MY ACTUAL WORDS.Warrior
Big Grin I do love it when a total Liar calls me a Liar. So warrior wants his actual words. Big Grin
quote:
as posted by the Liar in the previous thread I mentioned on page 3:
You are the one that is ignorant and full of xxxxxxx in believing that conventional .458 bullets cannot breakup on game. Here are some pics for you.
Once again, a real Liar is shown to be what he is. And all he had to do was follow the link. rotflmo

Where I originally caught him was in an Elk thread - where no one was even discussing 45cal Bullets being used on Elk, until warrior mentioned they will often "breakup" on Elk Big Grin. Of course, he was called on it and was shown to be the fool that he is. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinOK, OK This will be the last one I go look-up to have a few grins at warrior's expense. Big Grin

quote:
by the Rhino Bullet shiller(warrior):
Conventional bullets shatter most of the time when thick bone is encountered and often you have a wounded animal.

Warrior
bsflag That was in a thread about 55gr 22cal Bullets where no one with any Bullet sense would use them on Big Game. And according to the Rhino Bullet shiller - ANY Bullet which is not a Rhino would break-up. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

You are talking shit as usual.
The statement has nothing to do with a particular caliber.
It is a general and universal comment to this genre of bullet.
All conventional bullets break up when their threshold strength is exceeded.
Conventional bullets are not bonded and have thin jacketed walls - making them frangible.
And this typically happens when the striking velocity is too high.
Jumping to conclusions seems to be your forte, not to mention the twisting of words.
Again you are wrong about your reference to Rhino bullets, yet another lie.
You are just proving the point of your out right lies once again.
Go back on all the CEB's that I have published and that will refute your silly unfounded claim.
Your reply is pathetic to say the least.
So your are still going on with your foolish reasoning.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Over and out.
Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot Core,

Here is the link on the elk discussion where you profess to know so much about elk ....

Take a look at the questions that are asked here by TEANCUM :

http://forums.accuratereloadin...191094431#2191094431

Hot Core,

Let us now hear about your vast experience with elk.
Don't run away like a coward - you have been called out by many AR members - 10 pages on it.
Step up, or step back.
This is the last call.

Warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by TEANCUM: (Show here for ease of reference so you do not have to hop skip and jump)

quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
Hey Jerry, I'm sure glad you are sticking around in this thread. It gives me a chance to ask a real Elk Killing Expert about your vast experience with using the 270Win on them.

How many have you Killed that meet all these requirements at the same time:
1. That only took one shot from your 270Win(mo other shooters Killing it for you)
2. That you recovered the same day you took that one shot
3. That was more than 900 pounds
4. That had legal Antlers

******************************************************************************************

Hotsh#t

Ye olde sum b####

Perhaps a better question for you would be:

1. How many elk have you killed???

2. How many elk have you "LOOKED AT"???

3. How many elk have you seen killed???

4. Do you still use those Blue Dot loads in your Model 70 for elk hunting???

**************************************************************************************

Hotsh#t my dearest hunting buddy, aka the slayer of "thousands", Ye ole butt shooter, and the Blue dot Boy

You must be on vacation because you haven't answered any of MY questions on your elk hunting experience. That makes me wonder about your experience in the elk hunting area other than "LOOKIN".

Is it possible that you haven't taken ANY elk of ANY SIZE??? Please tell me this isn't so. For to do so would invalidate all your bullsh#t on elk hunting and disclose the liar that you are. Do you think it's possible that since you haven't kill ANY Elk of ANY SIZE that you could be fibbing on those thousands of deer kills?????? We both know we don't want that to happen. Perhaps you have misplaced your hunting log with the numerous elk kills in it. Pray tell what a tragedy that would be and I hope that isn't so.

Kindly note your experience in the elk hunting area, as requested, to support your theories that you are the suppository of all knowledge relating to elk hunting. Many of us on this board are waiting anxiously for the diarrhea of knowledge that would gush forth from such a revelation.

Respectfully yours. middlefinger

Hey Hotsh$t people are starting to think that you are a stinker and might be avoiding the questions. Tell them it isn't so.

We all know that your experiences are ................well,.... they are ball less!!!!

Respectfully, middlefinger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let the above be a lessen for you in the English language - the difference between "will" and "had".

quote:
then you are the one that are making things up

quote:
and it still breaks up and do not exit.

quote:
I guess this tells pretty much the story

quote:
Let us now hear about your fast experience with elk.

animal animal animal animal animal

English lessons from Warrior, what a ridiculous idea.

VVarrior

Posts: 127 | Location: South of the Zambezi 2 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herewith another 2 reports that appeared in our local hunting magazine - "Man Magnum"

Mr. J. Mortimer of Uganda complained in the September 2000 issue of Magnum about the terminal performance of standard PMP bullets on Warthog and Impala. He was using 174 gr factory loaded ammunition in his 303 Br, doing a velocity of 2,451 fps. He stated that in one case the lead core and copper jacket had already begun to separate and he was able to pull the bullet apart and in another case that the bullet had fragmented so that it ended up in different parts of the Warthog. This confirms the concern of hunters as to what will happen at faster velocities with today's cartridges or more powerful cartridges.

Koos Barnard, author of many articles in Man Magnum, used 220 gr PMP bullets in his 30-06 Spr at 2,354 fps on an Impala and the bullet retained 51% and on a Gemsbok at an estimated 100 yards - he aimed behind the shoulder and two chucks of lead was recovered under the skin on the far side - together they weighed only 70 gr or 32% - a rib was hit on entry and another on the far side. Furthermore, regarding the 375 H&H he also states ... "I found that the 300 grainers broke up completely on Reedbuck and Blesbuck."

As a service to the public, these two gentlemen have deemed it necessary to share their experiences with readers and it should be seen as some education with frangible conventional bullets. These thin-jacketed bullets are essentially brittle on 2 counts - the lead core is 97/3 lead and antimoy and this mix makes it brittle and the gilding metal is 90/10 copper and zinc. In addition the lead is not bonded to the jacket. This affords very little protection to to keep the bullet together at higher impact velocities, and so we get jacket/core seperation and shattering; making for shallow pentration. And for this very reason Bill Steigers of the USA pioneered his bonded Bitteroot bullet way back in the 60's, and most ammo manufacturers have followed suit today, even it took some of them 30 to 40 years to come around.

The question can rightly be asked, why did these conventional bullets worked well a century ago or in what velocity window do they do their best work?

Typical conventional bullets: PMP, Speer, Sierra

These are conventional lead core bullets with thin copper jackets throughout for all calibres - regardless of power or velocity that the cartridge is capable of.

Jacketed bullets were invented by Captain Rubin of the Swiss Army in 1889. During the Spanish War of 1898 and the second Anglo Boer War of 1899, the 7 x 57 mm Mauser came into its own by shooting at a much higher velocity offering the soldier a flatter trajectory than the opposition - The 303 Br was doing 2,050 fps, the 7.9 mm Mauser was doing 2,100 fps whilst the 30-40 Krag could do 2,150 fps. The 7 mm Mauser was considered fast at 2,300 fps and out performed its rivals and in close combat the velocity was above the critical threshold of about 2,200 fps, at which velocity, explosive wounds would occur in flesh.

These type of bullets are today practically outdated for hunting game and are not meant for velocities higher than 2,350 fps.In fact for this bullet to perform, impact velocity should be between 2,000 and 2,100 fps. A 30-06 Spr with a muzzle velocity of 2,625 fps will do about 2,050 fps at 250 yards at which distance the bullet will do its best work. A further problem is that manufactures are using the same thickness of copper jacket on a 243 Win as on a 375 H&H with a far higher energy value.

The present day conventional design is basically the same as a 100 years ago and velocities way back then were fairly modest.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VVarior,

Thanks for your corrections mate, at least English is not my mother tongue in contrast with Hot Core. I am not too proud to accept that I can make spelling or tense mistakes, especially when in a hurry. I will gladly correct them, thanks again. But switching "will" for "had" makes Hot Core a calculated liar.

You still have not answered me when we could have coffee together. I would love to meet with you. PM me with your details so we can make an arrangement - I am prepared to go 500 miles out of my way, as you hinted the inconvenience of distance. A personal disccusion face to face is so much better.

Warrior

posted Hide Post
I can only agree with the argument Warrior used. Conventional bullets very often seperate and lool like that:

Leftovers Lead Bullets

KJG bulltes nearly never breake away they look like that when used:

Leftovers KJG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alekto,

Here we have another 2 field reports from local hunters in SA that I kept from 2005:

PMP’s ProAmm, supposedly a notch up on their conventional lead-core bullet, is not really a premium grade bullet in my opinion. This bullet also cannot withstand high velocities. Here are two more examples:

a) Johan Piennaar of Liberty Life shot 7 Springbok in 2005 in Keetmanshoop with a 170 gr ProAmm bullet, using his 7 mm Rem Mag, loaded to 2,756 fps (Standard PMP velocity). All bullets blew up, not a single exit hole, and 4 out of the 7 Springbok required second shots. All shots were smack on the vital area and the average distance was about 200 yds, which meant that the bullets had time to slow down to a striking velocity of 2,324 fps. Still, the meat was messed up due to bullet fragmentation. This is not for the connoisseur meat hunter.

b) Abrie Arlow in turn used his 270 Win (130 gr PMP ProAmm @ 2,953 fps) to shoot a Damara Sheep in Douglas with equally bad results. The sheep was shot in the chest from the front and the bullet also shattered completely.

Rick Jamison did some bullet testing for his article "Premium Bullet Shootout" with some current lines of 10 popular bullets, designed for today's high performance cartridges. The photos are all .30 caliber 180-grain bullets fired from a .300 Win. Mag. with a 24-inch barrel. Each photo illustrates an unfired bullet, a sectioned bullet showing its construction, a bullet recovered after close range high velocity impact at more than 3,000 fps, and a bullet recovered after an impact velocity of about 2,000 fps, simulating long-range results. Here you can see the results of 4 core-bonded bullet types .... a posting that I made in June 8, 2008:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=743102578#743102578

These photos convey the the critical role of velocity windows and how the bullets behave.

Warrior

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well here is my first hand field report from the 2006 whitetail deer season in the poison ivy and cotton mouth water moccasin infested swamps of South Carolina, USA:

a. Bobster is stationed in shooting house Old No.1 on the Buckshot Hunt Club cut-over tract. The mosquitoes are eating his ass alive and he is ready for some action. An eight point mature whitetail buck and a doe step out of the blackberry briers at 100 yds. It is rut and the buck begins to have his way with her. Out of respect for the animal I let him finish. Then I planted an inferior 150 grain .324 Hornady Spire Point lead bullet at a MV of 3,000 fps out of my Oberndorf 8x57 sporter behind his left shoulder as he stood broadside. His back arched at the bullet's impact, he wheeled, turned 180 degrees took two jumps and dropped stone cold dead. Entry and exit wounds, no meat damage, and no lead particles.

b. Bobster is in a climbing stand on a shortleaf pine tree near the Twin Oaks stand overlooking a creek. A 4 point whitetail cull buck chases a gaggle of does in from my right and he stops facing my tree at 25 yards. Armed with my trusty 1909 Argy sporter in 7x57, I took aim and nailed him between the shoulder blades with an equally inferior 154 grain Hornady Spire Point jacketed lead bullet traveling at a MV of 2,850 fps. He dropped stone cold dead in his tracks and never moved. Entry and exit wounds, no meat damage and no metal particles.

I need chest waders to get through the psycho techno bullet shit in this thread. According to these authorities it is a miracle I've ever recovered a deer given the inferior cave man bullets I use. In fact, I'm amazed that we've been able to take any game at all in the USA. I'm sorry I don't have pics of the bullets, but since they passed through, I couldn't find them.

This reminds me of all the BS over freon in the late 80's and early 90's. OMG the freon we use is destroying the ozone layer and we are all gonna die! We need a new freon. Then who charges in to the rescue? The same company that was making the old freon. The same old freon that was about to go off-patent. That soon would have been dirt cheap due to competition.

IMO, this is just a thinly veiled attempt by a group of individuals with some stake in mono-metal bullets to hasten the demise of lead bullets based on questionable science.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to know which brand of .458 bullets are frangible.

This sounds like four guys, three of whom pass the "sniff test" for Trolls, and one who is getting there; trying to learn how to pimp product. You three remind me of the story about a guy that decided to be a pimp. He enlisted his mother and two sisters to try and contain costs in a more efficient manner.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd just like to know which brand of .458 bullets are frangible.

Come on Rich, every .458 bullet that is not made of solid gold is frangible, especially if it's made in the USA.

Rich, you've killed Buffs, would you go Buff hunting with a 154gr bullet?

Picture of sunflares
posted Hide Post
Hi everybody, esp. Antilope sniper and Hot Core. To begin with, due to my occupation there was no time the last days for writing here in the forum. Secondly, it is not easy for my writing in English, it takes a long time and I’m not able to write a hunting essay about for example copper bullet in .308 Win.
The reason for testing the KJ bullet in .308 Win was the idea of building ammunition, that will be able to hunt Roe Deer without too much destruction and also has enough power to hunt a red Deer or a bigger wild boar.
It is also important for me, that the trajectory up to 200m ( my usual max. range) is so constituted, that there is no need for “target correction”( I do not know the right word in English).
And a want one load and one bullet!!!!
The load:
Norma case, CCI BR2 primer, 7,62 KJG-S, OAL : 2,783 in ( non ISO, only to please you…) 43 grs. R 901 (Rottweil), V0 is slightly above 3000 fps.
This load got among other things (mostly roe deer) a 2b Reed deer (105Kg) shooting “Blatt”, red deer went 10m und went down, bullet produced exit, slightly low damage, rel. short distance about 55m.
Roe deer, 180m, Blatt, directy down, very low damage. Exit hole ca.2+ calibers.
Only two examples, but no Deer went more than 70m last season. Believe it or not.
Weight rentention of the bullet. Don’t know cause I not dig out one of the bullets out off the ground.
Accuracy of the bullets, sufficient Big Grin

Quote Antelope sniper:
Now I imagine there are many hunts in Germany where my 12 pound, 30" barreled long shooter wouldn't server much of a purpose. But if you want to come out here and hunt antelope in the late season, I would suggest you mount some top quality optics on your .338 Lapua and start practicing at 400+ yards.[/QUOTE]

Originally i came from sport shooting, i'm not in training as in former days, i'm getting a bit old and rusty, but my .338 Lapua Magnum rifle is rather a target rifle than practicable for hunting. It is a single shooter with progressive twist 34" barrel+muzzle brake and weights more than 20 pounds. Optic is ok Wink. I fired normal KJG in .338, but it is build to shoot a over 2 inch long range bullet with a BC of 0,9. My Sako TRG-S based .300 Lapua Magnum rifle should be ready-made hopefully next month, than i'm starting to make Ammo for it; then i will follow your advice and start practicing 400+ yards, we will see...

Manche Menschen haben einen Gesichtskreis vom Radius Null, und nennen ihn ihren Standpunkt. David Hilbert

Posts: 5 | Location: Germany, NW | Registered: 09 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunflares, thanks for your first hand field report, told in the voice of a real hunter and not a corporate shill. Your DRT shot does not suprise me. You will notice I did not question the killing ability of these bullets on anything except for the tough African dangerous game. Even then it wasn't a matter of the bullets design, just the specific choice. For Cape Buffs, I believe the wise man will use something heavier then 154gr, regardless of design. My real issue is the expensive German Engineering that goes into them. But considering that you are the home of BMW, Mercades Benz, and the Tiger Tank, you are probably used to that by now.

Let me show you what I mean.
Here are my reloading costs:

160gr Nosler Accubond Seconds: $0.22
100gr Mil Surplus powder: $.06
Fed 215 Primer $.03

That's $.31 per round, or $6.20 per box. You could call it 8 Euro's a box for premium, top of the line, Super Magnum ammo. Now if I was to switch to a bullet costing $2.00 each, it would cost me $41.80 per box. Although there may be some advantages to this bullet design, there is absolutly no way they are seven time better then what I'm using now.
Now someone posted a link to RWS loaded ammo, and at $150.00 per box US (and that's before your crazy VAT tax), for a lead bullet, it's not REALLY that big a deal for you to add a few extra dollars for an all copper bullet. I could actually buy a new gun, for less then it cost you to buy a box of ammo. shocker

Your .338 Lapua sounds like a great rig, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think it would be great fun to shoot an antelope, or better yet, an Elk Cool

I hope you enjoy your new .300 Lapua. Once you start practicing at the longer ranges, it will change the way you see your hunting enviroment. For me, there is nothing quite like sitting on a hill and watching the game on the other side of the valley. They are far enough away they can't hear you, they can't smell you, while you patiently pick your shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey SunFlares, Great field Report! Now you have pulled yourself away from the herd(so to speak Big Grin).

quote:
Originally posted by sunflares:
it is not easy for my writing in English,
Me too! tu2 And as you can see throughout the thread, you are not alone in that reguard. However, you did "great" and those of us that are Hunters can understand what you are describing.

quote:
It is also important for me, that the trajectory up to 200m ( my usual max. range) is so constituted, that there is no need for “target correction”( I do not know the right word in English).
Nothing wrong with your choice of words at all.

quote:
And a want one load and one bullet!!!!
Learning multiple Trajectories is indeed a lot of work.
quote:
The load:
Norma case, CCI BR2 primer, 7,62 KJG-S, OAL : 2,783 in ( non ISO, only to please you…) 43 grs. R 901 (Rottweil), V0 is slightly above 3000 fps.
Non-ISO? rotflmo I like your humor as well. tu2

quote:
Only two examples, but no Deer went more than 70m last season. Believe it or not.
Weight rentention of the bullet. Don’t know cause I not dig out one of the bullets out off the ground.
Accuracy of the bullets, sufficient Big Grin...
Your two good Reports - which are believable - are much better than the piles of "veiner snitzel"(if the spellin' aint right, feel free to correct it Wink) or bologna that we have been getting.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Picture of sunflares
posted Hide Post
At first Antelope sniper and Hot Core i want to thank for the fair words.

Quote Hot Core:
Your two good Reports - which are believable - are much better than the piles of "veiner snitzel"(if the spellin' aint right, feel free to correct it Wink) or bologna that we have been getting.

Regarding the "veiner snitzel" i think you ment "Wiener Schnitzel". Wien=Vienna, schnitzel=escalop, scallop. Apropos an original "Wiener Schnitzel" is made of breaded veal, cause that is very expensive the most restaurants write in their menu "Schnitzel Wiener Art" (looks like Wiener Schnizel), so they can use cheaper pork meat.Oh i think i ran off the track...

Manche Menschen haben einen Gesichtskreis vom Radius Null, und nennen ihn ihren Standpunkt. David Hilbert

Posts: 5 | Location: Germany, NW | Registered: 09 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Hmm,
What is the price?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote