New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which hand primer for 416 Rigby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which hand priming tool do you use for the 416 Rigby?

Thanks

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .416 Rigby, but wouldn't you use whatever you like to use for everything else?

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
any, the shellholder fits in the rcbs hand primer... i do them on the APS, though

btw, use fed 215s in that case

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the RCBS with the universal shellholder is the way to go. You can get it in a version that uses APS strips or one that used loose primers. I have a couple of them and have 1 for large and 1 for small primers because I'm too lazy to change them over. They work very well..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The primer pockets on Norma brass are so tight it takes two men and a boy to seat them for the first couple of loads using my bench press. I don't use a hand priming tool but I imagine it would VERY difficult to seat the primers in Norma brass. Am I the only one having this problem?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
ForrestB, I find that interesting about Norma 416 brass.

The RCBS tool would still seat the primers in a tight pocket as you describe. It sounds like you’re taking a chance on deforming the primer cup everything you start one in though.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer Forrest. I run all my Norma 416 brass over that. Then the primers go down as easily as slice of still warm pecan pie chased with a cold glass of milk (whole milk, none of that reduced fat stuff for me!).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I have a Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer Forrest. I run all my Norma 416 brass over that.

I guess that would be easier than my way of doing case prep - which is to shoot 400 gr at 2650 fps a couple of times to loosen the primer pockets.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the rcbs no drama's !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

Is this the tool you are referring to?

Sinclair 8000 Series Uniformer

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use the cheap Lee autoprime, you just have to grind a bit of clearance for the big case.

ForrestB

I haven't noticed any unusual effort on mine, as far as seating difficulty.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS hand priming tool with Norma brass and Federal 215M primers with no problems at all.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
You can use the cheap Lee autoprime, you just have to grind a bit of clearance for the big case.

ForrestB

That's what I do. Works and is about as cheap as you can go. Does a good job.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawndart,

Is this the tool you are referring to?

Sinclair 8000 Series Uniformer

Regards,
Dave

Yep,

I have one large, and one small chucked up in battery powered drills. For target ammo they are god for cleaning the carbon crud out of the pockets between loads. Not physically necessary, but certainly psychologically comforting.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that would be easier than my way of doing case prep - which is to shoot 400 gr at 2650 fps a couple of times to loosen the primer pockets.

Let's get M1 Tanker to do that for us.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I tried out the RCBS but found it a bit clunky & diff. to change from one shell holder to another. The Hornady is quicker to change over & also uses a single stage shell holder, it's what I use for the bigger rounds that won't readily fit the cheapy Lee. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:

ForrestB

That's what I do. Works and is about as cheap as you can go. Does a good job.

I'll second this method. I've used the RCBS and don't particularly like it, not because it isn't made well, just overly complicated. If you use the LEE, all you have to do is grind a little clearance around the top of the slot where the shellholder goes and it works fine. My $.02.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote