New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new adventure!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a few minutes I will be leaving for the weekend, pickup and Hewes skiff in tow, heading for the annual family get together. We will travel down US 98 to Lake Placid, a road that for all of my years in the Windy State remains untraveled. I know I will see new vistas, and probably lots of crats. Wink

The question is, can I do a 6-wheel drift with that rig while in hot pursuit? bewilderedIt is fair to use the remote on the 150 Suzuki for starting when in the terminal phase of CATastrophic Crat Carnage? Confused Do you think Emmy Lou Wilson will understand when I slide thru the rose bed? Confused Do I get extra credit if the prop sprays chunks on the veranda? So many unanswered questions...

Stay tuned, film at eleven. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.OffWe.Go!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Consider trolling on the way?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I dunno Dan, a Hewes is a mighty fine boat to risk getting scratched by flailing crat claws...but if your fishing goes anything like mine recently (can you see a 6" deep oyster reef at 40mph? Nope!) any nicks in the prop will be rapidly polished away by a sandbar or two! They are easily washed though, so any splatter from the rear tires would be of no concern...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Danno,

Instead of wrecking your rig, just line up a bunch of ready-to-go Molotov Cocktails on your dash or in the cup holders. Fling them out the window as necessary. Even your wife can join in the fun!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Oh migosh! You suprise me with such an incindiary statement, Ann!

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I really like that idea, and after the wifey read it she wondered off to the kitchen looking for spare frangible containers. CoolI did have to pull the bottle of George out of the box, it weren't empty yet(hic!), but we're gettin' there. thumb

So, I didn't see on friggin' crat on the entire trip. Not countin' the one the lady that ran the resort had. Big plush Persian. I think that heritage bears watchin' and when the gal turned her back I slipped the kitty a live bream! Big Grin"Oh what fun!" he seemed to say, and by the end of the first day he would hop on the boat with drooling anticipation when I rattled the live well lid. Smiler

Just after lunch on the second day we had finished the fishing tournament, and decided to do some skiing. thumb Sweet little Tiffany(7 yr old niece) had grown fond of "Herbie" and asked if he could go too? Confused "Of course!", sez me, "But let's save the best for last!" She is so cute when she smiles, "Okay! Best for last!"

Two hours later I had worn out 7 young folks with the ski thingy, and went back to the dock, dropped 'em off, then helped sweet little Tiffany on board. She giggled and rattled the live well lid. Tif is very observant and very bright. Presto! Herbie hops on board and into Tif's lap as we leave the dock. I made sure we weren't observed. Wink

Kids are so funny....'bout half way out into the lake she said, "Let's teach Herbie to ski!" "Well I think that would be grand Tiffany, but how would we make the skis fit?" bewildered "Oh," she sez, "that won't be a problem, he'll barefoot ski I'll bet!" Before I could even think "OMG, the kid's a genius!" she had whipped a clove hitch on Herbie's neck(she paid attention to her nautical dad) and chucked him over the side with the ski rope. Never quite heard a cat noise like that before... bewildered

Now I had considered slow trolling with Herbie for gators, but the idea of skip trolling with him like he was marlin bait never crossed my mind. The tach said 4200 rpm at that point in the boat ride, and my sweet little Mensa Miss was right of course. Herbie didn't need skis! I'm not sure he ever did get his paws in the water, but all the rest of him did very well. Crats seem to have an inate ability to water ski, just like the trick skiers at Cypress Gardens! On his back, his belly, the top of his head, his ass...I gotta tell ya, I gave ol' Herbie a 10 on that run! thumb Of course Tif was cheering him on too, "Look Uncle Dan! Herbie got up on the very first try!" roflmao

After two runs around the lake though, she said he was getting tired so we headed in to the beach. I kinda did a slingshot turn with him at the end so he could do like those trick skiers do, you know, go right up to the beach without getting wet? Of course Herbie was wet, but he skipped right up the beach, and when the rope went tight around that Royal Palm the clove hitch came undone, and he cartwheeled right up into the bushes in front of Cabin #3. Cool

After giving me a high five little Tif was all business though, and we had the boat tied up in only a few minutes. She thanked me for the ride, gave me a big hug and ran up the dock to where everybody was reunionucating. Damn, what a terrific family I have...I am blessed in ways I can barely describe! beer

Up in the bushes I saw a wet rag of a crat tail move. I rattled the lid on the live well, the bushes exploded and Herbie bolted for the office. Didn't see him again for the remainder of the stay, and for some reason the manager lady was kinda stand-offish when we checked out. bewildered Tiffany told me before we left that she hadn't told anyone about "Herbie's Great Adventure", and thought maybe I shouldn't either. "'Cept for your friends at AR, they're okay!" Love that little girl! Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.SkydivingMight.BeNext

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Speaking of trolling for gators....

One of my cousins in Florida got a new ski boat and wanted to try it out. He had a friend that loved to water ski that happened to be of African origin. My cousin wasn't watching where he was going and ran through an area restricted to swimming only. The local sheriff's water patrol caught up with him and was going to issue a citation until my cousing explained that they weren't water skiing, they were trolling for alligators. The sheriff couln't stop laughing enough to complete the citation and told them to get the hell out of there.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
'Tis a sport unknown to Yankees, even some of the transplants that live in my town. Frowner In fact, it is seldom practiced north of a line from Montgomery to Savannah. No wonder they tend to be so dower.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.CrapN.TennisShoes