New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head positions....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I keep getting notes from the taxidermist in SA about how I want my shoulder mounts positioned. I have 8 of different trophies being done.

What methodology or thought process do you use to determine which direction you want them to face and any other details I should include? I have to decide soon!

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Opt for Wall Pedestals Poses. The shoulder and neck come out of the wall on the turn and the heads are basically straight. Here is a Nyala wall per pic taken directly in front and center of it. This pose lets you hang it anywhere.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
We choose our poses based on the animal, it's "intent" (what is a Cape Buffalo or Lion to you) and where we will put it in the house that dictates the pose.

Jerry Huffaker has done all our African trophies and with our first (and supposedly at the time only) Cape Buffalo I wanted it staring at whoever sat in the middle of the sofa in the great room.

I sent Jerry details including brisket height above the floor, height of the bean above the mount, distance from the mount to the sofa, the square of the distance from the wall to the point of the sofa and then from that intersection to the center of the sofa. All this was drawn on a piece of paper and faxed.

Jerry has been in my home but not before that Buffalo arrived. Jerry looked at it and said, "I personally didn't like the mount but it fits perfectly here". He was right.

The Lion he did for me "greets" everyone that comes up our stairs from the first floor to the great room. Generally a gasp is the response as they turn the corner. We planned the head turn for that affect.

My point is be specific for the location and the intent and hopefully whoever is doing your taxidermy can make the magic happen.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I think it is important to pre-plan where the mounts will be positioned as Jim did. I always pick the spots where each mount will go and pick poses accordingly. If a mount is near an inside corner of the room, for instance, you don't want the head turned looking into the wall. I like the heads turned generally looking into the center of the room, or maybe turned toward a doorway.

I also like the wall pedestals a lot, they are unique and show off a little more of the animal. They also look good mixed with regular shoulder mounts for variety.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Some good points above. One thing to consider is not to have a animal turned looking onto a corner, so think of where you will be hanging what animal where.
Wall peds are a great idea, but think of walking into the room and. I think they look best when they are turned back towards the entry, as if they were walking away from you.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pre plan the location - then it's nice to have the animal facing you when you are in or entering the room - this works well until the room gets to full and the worry is where to hang anything else

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wall pedistals with a 180° articulating mounting bracket

The bracket swivels at the wall 180° and 180° at the mount itself

This allows you to turn the head to suit your needs or taste at any given time

You can also move the mount if you want a different look later

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I like Ted's idea and will be trying it soon, I hope. Those swivel mounts seem like a very good idea & should come in handy as wall space becomes an issue. Lots of adjustment of orientation is possible, and it would be cool to just change things up a little bit every now & then to keep you on your toes. Nothing like walking into your trophy room and a mount or two have moved!

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
For me, I'm as big a fan of the markings and features of the animals face as I am of his horns or antlers. Most of the time, an upright form with a slight turn one way or the other gives me the most pleasing appearance. I'm also a big fan of the wall of heads type of trophy room. Having them all lined up is still the most awe inspiring display that I've seen. Whether the are looking left or right, it doesn't really matter to me, just as long as it's done well and they look like they are alive. Only a few of my mounts do anything different. My gemsbok is turned 90 degrees to the left so I can see all the markings on his face better.

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Quick cellphone pictures for a quick look at the 180° braket

This Pronghorn is attached to a 7" three piece 180° braket that I make for my personal use....I do not sell them

The length can be longer or shorter to fit a rooms or an individual's needs

The 180 also allows a mount to be placed in a tough to fill spot....a corner!!

Just like this one has

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
These pictures are for the purpose of showing the braket

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Thanks for photos of the bracket Ted... and the pronghorn is pretty nice too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input on this, it has been very helpful. I sat down with the boss yesterday and got her to agree NOT to banish everything to the ‘man room’ in the basement. As an epic win, I got to ‘as long as they are not looking at me when I am eating’ we are good stage. I had our friend who is an interior decorator grease the skids with a ‘one or two’ tastefully placed would be stunning!

I will quit while I am ahead and NOT put the Wildebeest over the headboard…..

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I'm probably too late with this reply, but I usually like my mounts to be looking either at the entrance of a room or the center of the room.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote