New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounts on wall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What’s the best wat to affix a mount to a wall. Is it simply drive a large nail in partially and hang the mount. or are there better alternatives?
Assume that there is adequate support in the wall itself.
Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If going into a stud, I like to use a 2.5-3" screw, at roughly a 45 degree angle. Bigger the mount, bigger the screw.

With smaller (Impala, etc.) size mounts, I will use an anchor in straight drywall if there's not a stud where I want the mount.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For the Cape Buffalo, I put a 4" long, 3/8" lag bolt into the stud, everything else just uses 4" wood screws.

(I have 6" studs in the exterior walls)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mounts are about 90% foam.
they look heavy because the animal weighed a bunch when there was bones and meat there.
but stuff like a 300 lb mule deer head weighs all of 20 lbs when taxidermied 7-8 of that is antler weight.
an elk is @ 40 lbs depending again on antler mass.
larger stuff weighs more of course and for something big like a Buffalo or a large moose I would run a board across 2 studs and then go into that with my hanger.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
mounts are about 90% foam.
they look heavy because the animal weighed a bunch when there was bones and meat there.
but stuff like a 300 lb mule deer head weighs all of 20 lbs when taxidermied 7-8 of that is antler weight.
an elk is @ 40 lbs depending again on antler mass.
larger stuff weighs more of course and for something big like a Buffalo or a large moose I would run a board across 2 studs and then go into that with my hanger.

A 300 pound Mule Deer head!!!!! shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spax screws are by far the best. They have a large head and will go thru wood with out striping. They can hold a lot of weight.

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not so good with comma's comas commas.
those little squiggly things at the bottom like where a period would go. Big Grin

that and...
I'm pretty positive mine weighed about that much last year after hauling it out of that canyon for over 3 hours.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My only concern with the Buff was that the weight is all in the horns and they are located 4 feet away from the wall. (A long lever)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really old looking buff.

Thumbs up.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use barn nails in my log walls, an heavy bolts in my 1x12s on one wall.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An Alaska Yukon shoulder mount is a heavy beast; I think I used two lag bolts on mine. My 2 Cape buff mounts are not nearly as heavy, but they don't have huge horns like a moose.

An eland is a heavy mount as well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up my latest Cape buff mount (from Jonas Bros) yesterday, and the thing is heavier than hell.

It was all I could do to carry from my truck to my living room. I estimate it to weigh maybe 100 lbs.

I don't remember my other two buff mounts weighing this much. I am certainly going to go with heavy lag bolts or something designed to hold 60-100 lbs.

BTW I removed a shoulder mount of an elk from the wall this morning (rearranging mounts) and it didn't weigh even half as much as the new buff mount.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
For a euro mount the Skull Hooker works well. A recent addition to my trophy room. Weighs 35 lbs.