Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy movers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Any recommendations on firms that specialize in crating and moving taxidermy? Mostly shoulder and pedestal mounts, but also a couple pair of elephant tusks and one full body mount of a leopard. Wanting to use someone with a good track record. Moving from AZ to TX, by the way, and sometime this Fall.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Do a google search for Wild Game Transport. They moved my trophy collection from CA to GA. Based in CO, they are very good and nice people to do business with.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Smiler Any other endorsements? Anyone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet Southwest Wildlife in Scottsdale could crate them up; they have delivered a lot of my stuff to my house.

Frankly, anyone who can build a crate should be able to do this; I had a friend's son crate my stuff when I sold my house in MN and had no issues with it when it arrived in AZ.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
WGT used a 35’ fifth wheel trailer to move my stuff. They don’t crate anything. The trailer has 2 levels inside running lengthwise and covered in plywood. Shoulder mounts are attached with wood screws through the back and 3-5 mounts are attached to each 4’x8’ piece. I also had a full body leopard and cape buff pedestals, elephant tusk pedestals, full body steenbuck, red duiker, and suni.. Shoulder mounts included big stuff like a a moose, eland, kudus and 2 caribou- a total of at least 35 shoulder mounts- 2 zebra rugs and a croc rug with head on. They took everything off the walls, were loaded up and hit the road about 3 hours after arrival. 2 1/2 days later they unloaded everything into my storage unit. They used a 3 man crew and drove straight through-2700 miles. It wasn’t cheap but it was well done and worth it. And no crates to take down and dispose of. Everything arrived in perfect shape.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
WGT used a 35’ fifth wheel trailer to move my stuff. They don’t crate anything. The trailer has 2 levels inside running lengthwise and covered in plywood. Shoulder mounts are attached with wood screws through the back and 3-5 mounts are attached to each 4’x8’ piece. I also had a full body leopard and cape buff pedestals, elephant tusk pedestals, full body steenbuck, red duiker, and suni.. Shoulder mounts included big stuff like a a moose, eland, kudus and 2 caribou- a total of at least 35 shoulder mounts- 2 zebra rugs and a croc rug with head on. They took everything off the walls, were loaded up and hit the road about 3 hours after arrival. 2 1/2 days later they unloaded everything into my storage unit. They used a 3 man crew and drove straight through-2700 miles. It wasn’t cheap but it was well done and worth it. And no crates to take down and dispose of. Everything arrived in perfect shape.

That is actually similar to Southwest Wildlife; they have a huge trailer and just bolt the stuff on the walls, on plywood, etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I now have a couple of quotes coming. Ouch, but the best alternative for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a quote to crate and move my 25 pieces. Don’t have the number at hand. It was sky high.
I rented a Pensky 26’ truck and did it myself.
I screwed 2x4s 4-5’ long to the back of the mount. Then screwed that 2x4 to the bed of the truck.
Worked just fine for a 1000 mile trip.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Got a quote from Trophy Transport in North Carolina. VERY reasonable. Will likely take them up on that quote. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS an owner of a hauling company I would inquire about an air ride trailer, really helps with the jolts and bumps in the road.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Used trophy transport and they did a really good job. Showed up on time. Loaded with a minimum of fuss. Arrived in Texas on time and offloaded just as easily. Definitely reccommend them. tu2

One thing I didn't know much in advance, which was a bit of a challenge to do on short notice - they asked that all taxidermy be taken off the wall so they didn't have to take that responsibility. Made sense as I thought about it. Called a friend and a few beers later we were done. Buffalo and Eland (two each) took some doing, as did the three shoulder mounts located over the staircase. Just a heads-up....