New
Find
Notify
Tools

J's man-cave - 3rd attempt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Many apologies for the photo-posting issues. Looks like pbase doesn't allow direct linking, so moved them to photobucket and hopefully can now get them to show up...

After 2 years, finally got my 2006 Karoo safari mounts hung in the house along with my 2004 Zimbabwe stuff. Lurk quite a bit, and have enjoyed everyone's trophy photos so decided to share.....

Here is the south wall of the living room with the 2004 Zim stuff (posted here a couple years ago but repeated)

Here is the west wall with my two springbuck mounts from RSA

Here are the views from north to south, and south to north...

A closer view of the little guys...

And finally, probably the trophy I will probably always remember most, vaal rhebuck.

Hoping for a couple more plains game safaris in my lifetime....one in Namibia for gemsbuck and Hartmann's zebra, and another for bushbuck and nyala.

Cheers!
Jeff

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Can't see your photos.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

The links you have posted show no photos. Evene when I go directly to the site hosting them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies. Very lovely home. Thanks. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Spectacular!!! Beautiful room and super mounts. clap -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the photos with the mounts, very nice touch. I will probably steal the idea, eh Cool.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos, trophies and room. -Thanks for sharing.

I vote we all meet at Jeff's to watch the Olympics or hunting videos.

patriot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm humbled gentlemen, many thanks for the compliments (and for looking anyway after I bungled the post a few times...)

It was essentially a five year project - from the time a very good friend talked me into the first trip to Africa and we started the fun of looking for an outfitter, to the time I hung stuff from the second trip.

It is as one might say, my little sanctuary. I can honestly say that every minute spent planning the hunts, being in Africa, and dealing with the aftermath and financial distress that is shipping trophies back, having them brokered and scheming with my taxidermist has been a blast and so very worthwhile. It's interesting, when I started it, it was to some extent, about reaching a goal to have a nice place that reflected my love of the outdoors. But it changed in some ways - it is now more about priceless time spent with my daughters when they come to visit telling them of my experiences, and about coming home after a long tough day at work and sitting down to look around me at the evidence reminding me that my life has included a bit of adventure.

Tony, I am equally impressed with, and have enjoyed immensely, keeping track with the progress of your trophy room!

D.O.J. - the photos to me are every bit as important as the mounts - a connection back to each individual memory...

H.M. - the welcome mat is open to any fellow sportsman passing thru the Midwest....as long as they are willing to try one of my home-brew beers and choke down some Iowa venison...

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
One of the best jobs of displaying mounts I have seen. Good work.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word.....Tasteful.

thanks for sharing

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. The wife really likes your kudu. Did you plan the mounts to the room or the room to the mounts?

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
PBase allows direct linking so long as you have a paid and not a trial account. You have to use the prescribed format for image links.

Direct Linking

Nice man cave by the way. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Jhrod,

Superbly well done! Seriously, either you or someone in your life has excellent taste in how to position the mounts! I truly like the Pics next to the trophies.

Very, very tasteful and respectful of the life that was.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
NICE-very tasteful. Now the only question is...what to do with the next trips' trophies!!??? Cool

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dick broussard:
Very nice indeed. The wife really likes your kudu. Did you plan the mounts to the room or the room to the mounts?

Thanks Dick! Some of the mounts were planned to the room, and some worked out the other way around. For the kudu, zebra, and trio of little guys I knew exactly what forms I wanted my taxidermist to use (if I would be successful) before I even departed for Africa. For the others, there was more than enough time between the shot and when the skins got to my taxidermist to pick something that would fit the room.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Jhrod,

Superbly well done! Seriously, either you or someone in your life has excellent taste in how to position the mounts! I truly like the Pics next to the trophies.

Very, very tasteful and respectful of the life that was.

Interesting you should mention that rnovi. I had an interior decorator come in one time to help me with some things - carpet color/type, helping with final selection of furniture, and all the surfaces in the kitchen to make sure the place would "flow". I was going to have her help me with the mounts, but she really wasn't interested in that. But, the first thing she said when she came in was that she liked the diagonal line where the wall meets the ceiling. So I simply decided to emphasize that when hanging the mounts and photos - you'll see they are all on that diagonal. I guess you could say the positioning was a team effort.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomrcy:
NICE-very tasteful. Now the only question is...what to do with the next trips' trophies!!??? Cool

nomrcy:

The planning is already underway. Above the main room in the photos is a balcony hallway:

The long term plan is to move the whitetails to the basement along with some ducks, a pronghorn I intend to shoot in Wyoming later this month and others to become the "North American room". That would free the space in the balcony for art, nyala, bushbuck, mountain reed and....?

The beautiful thing about "trophy rooms" is that they are always a work in progress as we plot, plan, scheme and sometimes even accomplish new adventures!

one of us
posted Hide Post
jhrod,your room is AOK!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Impressive all around. Compliments on the decor, arrangement and trophies. You've done very well. Who did the taxidermy, Karoo?
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done and very tasteful.

I would be curious to hear more about the Vaal Rhebok as they are on my list and many have put them towards the top of their favorites.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Impressive all around. Compliments on the decor, arrangement and trophies. You've done very well. Who did the taxidermy, Karoo?
LDK

LDK:

The dip/pack was done by Karoo, but the taxidermy was done here in the states. The trophy preparation done by my PH and Karoo was absolutely outstanding - my taxidermist in fact said it was some of the best stuff he'd ever gotten, which of course makes his job that much more fun and easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Nicely done and very tasteful.

I would be curious to hear more about the Vaal Rhebok as they are on my list and many have put them towards the top of their favorites.

YD:

I have to say that I could easily (and very well may) hunt vaal on every visit I might get to Africa - whether that's once or ten times more. Without question it's at the top of my list as the most unique, challenging, and satisfying sporting adventure I've ever been on. If I had to choose between doing my Zim hunt or the SA vaal hunt again, it wouldn't even be close.

The hunt was near Sutherland, about 4 hours north of Cape Town. It was definitely not what one traditionally thinks of as "safari". The area we hunted was about 4500 feet in elevation, very rocky, no trees nor brush over knee high. It was late May/early June, we had snow one evening and average daytime temps at that elevation were in the mid 40's to mid 50's. It is a painfully remote area that is inhabited only by a few sheepherders of Dutch/German descent. If you have Google-Earth capability, type in Kromkolk or Aasvoelkrans.

My PH Bennie grew up in the small house we stayed in, and his mom and dad who have lived there almost their entire lives as sheepherders were "the staff". The mountains, remoteness and cold, windy winter weather are such that there aren't really any native tribes in the area - so Bennie's brother-in-law and nephew were the "tracker and game scout". In short, I essentially became a member of an Afrikaans sheepherding family for the week. That truly added to the uniqueness of the experience and I can't say enough good about Bennie, his family, and how comfortable I felt with them.

I was the first person to have hunted there in probably 2-3 years. Bennie pointed out some mountains that haven't been hunted in 10 or 20 years - the only people to have even walked them are the local sheepherders - need I say more about the potential of that...

If you want to see some photos from that trip, feel free to check out my "around the world 2006" gallery at www.pbase.com/jeffr

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to hear more about the particulars. Feel free to PM or email if you have time.

I went to your gallery page...you have a good eye. I didn't see any hunting photos but the other images were very good.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Splendid, well thought out and great taxidermy work. Congrats and good luck filling the upstairs hallway.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi jhrod:

Hey buddy how ya doing, the room literally looks GREAT..... very, very tastefully done.

When's your next trip planned, don't forget to take some pictures before I get there... LOL

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
love the arrangement of your "little guys" on the side of the steps. very nice!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jeff love the layout of the room and those little guys are super..

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote