THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TROPHY ROOM FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Trophy Room Pictures    My Trophy Room (before and after leopard).

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Trophy Room (before and after leopard).
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here goes. This is my first attempt at posting pictures. I've only been posting here six years, gee, gimme a little time!

Anyway, I built this trophy room on the back of my house soon after returning from our family safari to Namibia in 2002. In '04, I shot a leopard in Zimbabwe, and just recently got it on the wall. Still don't have my bushbuck, impala(s) and other plains game from that trip.

Before Leopard

After Leopard Added

North American End

Right of Fireplace

LeftWall

Right Wall

I've got a ton more, but these should give you the general idea.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I DID IT!!!!! I actually posted pictures on AR!

Man, am I proud of myself, or what?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the way you did the elk with the shield and spear. Looks good. thumb

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very classy. I'd really like to do something like that someday.
Thanks for posting,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
I really like the artistic blend of trophies with other artifact, very nicely done thumb Thanks for sharing.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I am a home builder by trade (that's why there's no safaris on the calandar right now -- business is beyond lousy). That's why I was able to build it the way I wanted it. I simply looked through hunting magazines and copied ideas from trophy room pictures published there.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Love the kudus.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Very nice!! Something to be very proud of!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Excellent GA, job well done!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Nice animals and great job on the pedestals. Neat and well laid out room.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beauty. I'm sure you spent many hours planning that.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent display of many great trophies.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff man, where did you get the stag?

The quality of taxidermy look very high, was it done in the US or elsewhere?

cheers
G

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boghossian,

Actually, there's two stags. One's just a European mount and is on a wall not pictured.

They both came from a hunt with Mike McCrave, CMS Hunting, in Scotland. Mike runs the best (and cheapest) fully guided, Scottish red stags hunts I have ever seen. Accomadations are first class and numerous activities are planned for the non-hunting guest, which ment my wife also got the Scotland site-seeing trip she has always wanted. Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

Ninety percent of the taxidermy work was perfomed by Charles Watson at Wildlife Taxidermy in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Charlie pretty much specializes in African game, but does a real nice job on domestic and European stuff too. Many, or maybe even most, folks in our local SCI chapter use Charlie.

Here are some additional Pictures of the Room and individual animals:

Red Stag, European Mount

Another Shot of the Shoulder Mount (Stag)

Leopard Mounted by Charles Watson

Teal Mounted by Charlie (or rather his assistant, Daniel)

BTW, for those who asked about the pedestals, he will build them and sell them to other taxidermists and individuals. They ain't cheap! Impala/whitail/bushbuck, etc.-sized pedestals go for $595. Kudu/gemsbuck/zebra-sized pedestals are $695. Eland/cape buffalo-sized ones are $795. All the above prices include you supplying the tanned back skins.

Here's some pictures of what they look like:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I DID IT!!!!! I actually posted pictures on AR!

Man, am I proud of myself, or what?

Good on you, mate!! thumb

Your room looks great..............

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks Great thumb

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Grrreat room GA! we're thinking about an addition like that to our house as well. Can you give us some dimensions including ceiling height pls? thanks and congrats on a great trophy room. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Sorry to take so long, I just saw your post.

The outside dimensions of the room are 24'- wide, by 34'-deep. If I had it to do over again, I'd make it two feet deeper, as I barely have enough room for two seperate seating areas, which was my goal (one centered on the big-screen tv at one end, and one centered on the fireplace, at the other).

The walls are 10'-tall (full-size 10' studs) and the ceiling is cut on a 9/12 pitch, which gives me 19-feet of height at the center, however we put a four-foot flat across the peak, which brings it down to 17'-high. This is plenty high for my purposes.

The fireplace is a 52-inch pre-fab, which is the biggest my fireplace people stock. Just couldn't see spending 15-20 grand for a masonry firplace.

The woodwork (raised-panel oak) was pre-cut in my cabinet man's shop, who had never done anything like this before. He charged me eleven grand and was the best decision I made.

Hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yes it does help, thanks very much. I'm still kicking around someidead. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though I've posted these pictures in a seperate thread, I think they should be seen in context with the rest of the room. This impala and bushbuck were both taken in '05 in Zimbabwe. (In other posts, I said '04, but the dates were April-May 2005. See what you young folks have to look forward to.) Roll Eyes

A Pretty Nice Bushbuck (best trophy of the trip)

One of 15 Impala I Shot (most for bait and game scout rations.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is still one of my favorite rooms posted here. It's just classy.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GA,

I totally agree. What a beautiful trophy room and beautiful trophies. Well done. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
very nice!!! where did you get the couches at? it has a classy lodge look about it! congrats! thumb

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, 42, the couches and recliners came from Macy's, on sale! The were about 1/3 as much as similar couches and chairs at "leather" furniture stores.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GA, looks great. So many great trophys, and I know, so many great stories to go with!

Thanks for the share!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice, especially with the leopard addition!