New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Keeping Top Punch #'s Straight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 lists the top punch required for all their molds. The list starts pg. 116. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run into trouble looking through my top punch boxes looking for the one I want. How do you fellows sort them out? The sizing dies have the caliber on the tube but the top punches have all kinds of #'s on the box and three #'s stamped on the top of the punch. And what if you have a RCBS or Saeco mold that you want to use a Lyman top punch with? Or do you have to buy the RCBS or Saeco top punch and hope it works in your Lyman luber? Thanks BM

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Lyman lists their top punch #s on the drop down menu.
Lyman
RCBS lists them in a chart format
RCBS
You should be able to find your way around with these links.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman answered my email and said they would send me a catalog to compare top punches to what was the closest to the bullet I have. Thanks for the idea about the bolt. I was looking at that #420 for a 25 caliber and don't have one and the #8 is listed under the 30 & 32 caliber. Would the #8 go down into the sizing die? I have a #641 that's listed under the 7mm but it measures about .250" on the part that goes into the sizing die. Most of my top punches are just a little smaller than the caliber they are for. Like .303" for 30 caliber. If the #8 would go down into the .285 sizing die, that's the one I would want. I have a #644 but it measures .303". Thanks BM

Bill

PS: I had to look in Midsouth's catalog to get the top punch #'s. Midway's catalog had 6 digit #'s that didn't match up with caliber or anything.

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote