The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: Keeping Top Punch #'s Straight

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/9981084

03 December 2004, 05:21
woody1
Re: Keeping Top Punch #'s Straight
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 lists the top punch required for all their molds. The list starts pg. 116. Regards, Woody
30 November 2004, 13:03
BlueMoon
I run into trouble looking through my top punch boxes looking for the one I want. How do you fellows sort them out? The sizing dies have the caliber on the tube but the top punches have all kinds of #'s on the box and three #'s stamped on the top of the punch. And what if you have a RCBS or Saeco mold that you want to use a Lyman top punch with? Or do you have to buy the RCBS or Saeco top punch and hope it works in your Lyman luber? Thanks BM

Bill
02 December 2004, 23:48
Bug
Bill,
Lyman lists their top punch #s on the drop down menu.
Lyman
RCBS lists them in a chart format
RCBS
You should be able to find your way around with these links.
07 December 2004, 10:24
BlueMoon
Lyman answered my email and said they would send me a catalog to compare top punches to what was the closest to the bullet I have. Thanks for the idea about the bolt. I was looking at that #420 for a 25 caliber and don't have one and the #8 is listed under the 30 & 32 caliber. Would the #8 go down into the sizing die? I have a #641 that's listed under the 7mm but it measures about .250" on the part that goes into the sizing die. Most of my top punches are just a little smaller than the caliber they are for. Like .303" for 30 caliber. If the #8 would go down into the .285 sizing die, that's the one I would want. I have a #644 but it measures .303". Thanks BM

Bill

PS: I had to look in Midsouth's catalog to get the top punch #'s. Midway's catalog had 6 digit #'s that didn't match up with caliber or anything.