Notify
Tools

Shooting Cast in my 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions for you experienced cast bullet shooters out there!

I just ordered 200 .376 cal FP GC TLG 265gr cast bullets from The Bullet Barn in B.C. Its my first time reloading cast bullets and I intend to shoot them in my Winchester 70 in 375 H&H... When I ordered the bullet, I was told the mold they used for that bullet was a Saeco. The reason behind this order was to shoot as cheap as possible!!!

Here are my questions:

1) I was told that Unique is a good powder for reduced loads in that caliber, is this true?

2) If one was to use unique, does anyone have some load data for me?

3) Is a filler required with Unique?

The reason I am interested with unique is that I have 4 pounds of it!!!

Thanks for you replies.

Maurice

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with the H&H so can only answer in general terms.

Unique is a good for low velocity rifle plinking loads. Like 1000 - 1200 fps. Don't push it too hard.

I can't comment on load data for that cartridge, except to say that I have found Unique to be sensitive to powder charge in all cartridges. Half a grain can make all the difference in accuracy.

I've never used a filler with unique, even though there was a lot of air space inside the case.

The SAAMI H&H chamber has a sloppy throat that is not ideal for cast bullets. However, at low velocities and pressures, that may not be a show-stopper.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info popenmann!!!

1000fps is all I'm after so Unique will be ideal for me I guess!!! All I need to do now is to start casting my own bullets!!! lol.

Maurice

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maurice,

Lyman says 17.5 grs. of Unique is MAX.

I've been shooting cast in .375 lately and intend to post a page here with results in a few months or so.
Certainly you can get excellent results. I've used only Red Dot so far and it works very well. You can see what I wrote here

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...81101355?r=781101355

about the danger of double charging. I hope Mr. Clement did not take offense but when I got the Red Dot I charged a case with 13 grs. and another with 26 grs. and placed them side by side on a table with the double charged case on the right. Using a strong flashlight it was impossible for me to see the difference between the two charges in the long, tapered, bottle neck Holland cases. Red Dot does not seem to be position sensitive at all and I have not used fillers for fear of ringing the chamber.

One thing that I am certain of at this point: If you lead your barrel use copper wool (Chore Boy) on a 9mm pistol brush to take the lead out. This is extremely effective and the copper wool doesn't even load up with lead, just rinse off and it's ready to use again.

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote