New
Find
Notify
Tools

five hours work...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
spent a couple half days last week scrounging wheel weights. $30 per gallon bucket full at four different tire stores. Eleven buckets to show for the $$$ outlay.

Five hours and a forty pound bottle of propane later, I got 200 4lb ingots fluxed and cooling in the shed.

What an afternoon's work. I use a turkey cooker with an eight quart dutch oven.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a free bucket of WW from a friend with a shop. I haven't had a chance to melt it yet. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Was that a 1 gallon bucket?? or 5 gallon bucket?

I knew the price was going up, but ??

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one gallon black buckets you see at tire shops.
75+ pounds worth. The competition is getting fierce here. I had three different shops tell me their WW suppliers are wanting the used ones back as trade-in for new. One guy said they told him his price for new would go up 50-cents a pound unless he had the used ones ready to go when he came by.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heroic! clap
Hopefully we won't be relegated to ordering lead alloy from Midway. That would take some of the satisfaction out of casting.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonderfully successful way to spend a day. Congratulations!

Am down to my last 200 pounds of ingots. Going to have to bite the bullet and go see if I can locate some more. Really dread that with the way prices have been going.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky, my brother in St Louis county is paying $1 a pound, and gets to sort the sticky zinc ones out. I got about $275 in 246 4 pounders.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
those are 5 gallon pails. Youd never get 75 lbs of ww in a one gallon bucket.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the one gallon black buckets you see at tire shops.
75+ pounds worth. The competition is getting fierce here. I had three different shops tell me their WW suppliers are wanting the used ones back as trade-in for new. One guy said they told him his price for new would go up 50-cents a pound unless he had the used ones ready to go when he came by.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you must not pile them very high. I weigh mine when I get home.

Rich
DRSS