THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    How and why do you use cast bullets and do you use jacketed bullets?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How and why do you use cast bullets and do you use jacketed bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
If you're asking me about the 45, it's not a 45. It's a .44 Special. I load a bullet cast from an RCBS 44-250KT mould which weighs about 258 grs., over 7.5 grs. of AL20/28 for around 950 fps.

I have recently however acquired a 4 5/8" NM Vaquero in 45 Colt. I've been testing a gob of loads in it over two cast bullets; one out of an RCBS 45-255 (262 grs.) and the other out of a custom MP mould that's a copy of the RCBS 45-270SAA (283 gr. SWCHP).

My bumming around the woods load is 6.5 grs. of 700-X under the lighter bullet for a MV of 830 fps. My hunting load for this fall is 14.5 grs. of AA#7 over the heavier bullet for 1060 fps. I've used Unique and love it, but I'm trying to hoard it as I have LOTS of 700-X and AA#7.

35W

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 44 Special, you have one hard to find pistol there. Why would you hoard Unique? Is it not still made?

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he meant "save it" and use up the other powders...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 44 Special, you have one hard to find pistol there. Why would you hoard Unique? Is it not still made?

The .44 Special can be hard, but not impossible to find. I bought mine as a 44/40 then just bought and fitted a .44 Special cylinder.

Yes, I'm trying to save my Unique because it's all but impossible to find right now.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote