THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    How and why do you use cast bullets and do you use jacketed bullets?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How and why do you use cast bullets and do you use jacketed bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron--Great pictures. Good to see your boy is into hunting. How close were those pictures to Twin Falls?

ISS--The link didn't work for me??

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of them were within 100 miles of there. My son set out this year now he wants to go. Kids!

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS--You asked for numbers etc and Idaho Ron gave them along with pictures. You copped out and gave a phony link.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you internet retarded or otherwise helpless?

If I said the ISS, and the link I posted was not functional at this time, put on your big girl panties and do a google search.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
took me nearly two minutes to find it, you dork!

www.internationalsingleshotassn.org

If you can conprehend beyond single syllable words, I said Ron has developed a very accurate hunting system. It is impossible to argue with his results the past several years. The only missing data is yardage, and perhaps a few targets showing what exactly his definition of accuracy is.

The intent was to convey the thought that it is a bit presumptuous for any of us shooting cast bullets, whether in fixed cartridge, breech seated cartridges or muzzle loading to proclaim that they have "discovered" anything new.

At this time, the only cast bullet venue that nobody has claimed success in is boat tailed bullets, gaschecked or plain base, and gotten them to shoot sub-moa in public. For someone with your limited intellect and grasp of the English Language, that means sanctioned competition.

moron...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS And yet another phony link. No integrity whatsoever--all mouth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
worked for me just a minute ago.

Perhaps the words are too big for you.

Maybe www.issa-schuetzen.org

Come to think of it, I wrote the nine month series of articles for Precision Shooting Magazine in 1990 or 1991, and just shot with them for four years.

Check the archives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Third link worked for me but not the other two.

Posts: 46 | Location: The Hardwoods | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
carpetman 1, Seems like I am getting called out again. I will show you some of my groups. Have you been to Twin Falls? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS--A link that gives people at a shooting match. Big deal verifies nothing about you. Why don't you post some facts? Idaho Ron answered your questions and posted pictures. Maybe you could also post some pictures of all those record breaking elk? My hunch is that none of this will happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be happy with those groups. Smiler

Posts: 46 | Location: The Hardwoods | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS--Under what name do we look for your writing? Richard Cranium?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Idaho

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote].It is just that not many of us trumpet it so readily as you appear to do. [quote]

http://www.monstermuleys.info/...03.html#.Uu1_ppqYb-c

coffee

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, READ THAT THREAD!!!!! That is not my groups that is a man that is using my methods. It just goes to prove that the method is good for Lyman GPH rifles. Your link proves my point. I am glad you posted it. Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, do not scream at me.

You miss my point. You find someone else that gets good results from one rifle and you just have to post it on the internet?

Good grief... Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
killpc
If you would open your eyes I wouldn't have to scream. I have been seeing lots of guns shooting better because of my methods. This is just the first Lyman GPH. And it confirms that the method works on yet another brand. Since I posted this the owner of the gun has sent me a couple more messages saying that he has shot more 1" or less groups with his gun using my methods.

Care to post some of your animals? Care to post some groups shot with open or peep sights?

pissers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I take chemotherapy every 14 days, and some days are better than others. But if I can get to the range with some of my Whites, I will shoot some targets and send them to you. I won't post them; that proves nothing except that I am a braggart, which I am not.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, but to post pictures of two bullets cutting holes at 50 yards is ridiculous, in my estimation. If I couldn't do that with any of my MLs I would sell them.

Would one ragged six round hole out of a 357 Redhawk at 50 yards with my own cast 180s impress you?

How about one ragged three shot hole at 100 with my BPCR 45-70 using the RCBS 500 BPS and black? (Peep sights of course...)

I will say it again: we ALL do what you do... you just have to get that pat on the back that doesn't mean anything to most of the rest of us.

I will see what I can do about getting to the range... Just for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No you don't do what I do with a ML. You just don't. If you all do why are so many guys wanting to do it my way?
If you can't post pictures that is fine. I have seen a lot of guys like you. And I am done with you. Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can't post pictures that is fine. I have seen a lot of guys like you. And I am done with you. Ron

I didn't say I can't, I said I wouldn't, because that would make me a braggart, which I am not. Now who doesn't have his eyes open?

You sure scare easily... afraid somebody is going to call your bluff and duplicate your wonderful two-shot one hole groups with their own firearms?

Sorry... I remain unimpressed, especially by the bragging. It is what it is...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron--How could you possibly think you could impress the two guys that invented lead. You really think anyone including yourself, has done ANYTHING that these two haven't done? No pictures or anything to back it up, but they have done it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are still on ignore, Ray, but I can guess what your retort was: something about what Rich and I have done without proof. Well, for those of us still reading this thread, here is a quote for all of them; really shows your brilliance when it comes to casting:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1811043/m/2181033191

posted Aug 14, 12:23 PM

My turn? I had my turn, I said it rings of liquids be compressable which is contrary to hydraulics. I also say that even if there is a couple grains difference in weight that it is really such a small percentage of the weight of the bullet that it would be impossible to really know it caused a difference I also say that even if there is a couple grains difference in weight that it is really such a small percentage of the weight of the bullet that it would be impossible to really know it caused a difference. In other words if all bullets weighed exactly the same, only one person around that will shoot one hole group everytime all day long. So if you are not shooting one hole groups and bullets all exact same weight---then something else is the cause. How would you know that something else wasn't the real cause and not the .001% of bullet weight variation? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

This refutes what Ron said earlier in this thread... You want to continue this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm on ignore but he is talking to me? Knows what I posted? I think he is lying about the ignore--I sure don't think he is smart enough to read minds, even one as simple as mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last night I only got 7 hours and 120 minutes of sleep over worrying about Doubleass having me on ignore. If he'd take me off I could probably get 9 hours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Twain once said, if I may approximate the sentence; it is the sign of extreme laziness or a feeble intellect to use gratuitous profanity or vulgarity in a disagreement. In your case cp1, it just brands you as a person who suffers from both issues.

It is universally accepted that such attempts to drag the argument into a, as they say. "pissing contest" mark you as the village idiot.

IMHO, you might be overqualified for the job, but living in a large city you probably need special talents in that area.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter--Are your personality disorders of being pompous, illusions of having superior intellect, illusions of being grandeur in general and complete lack of integrity a hereditary thing or did you have serious brain injury that caused them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're off your meds again aren't you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being the new guy on board and a bit gray of hair, long of tooth and a cast bullet shooter for...well since the early to mid-70's, I find it hard to believe there is anything "new" any of us are going to discover regarding cast bullets. Paper patching, in many guises, goes back to muzzleloading days both here in the US, on the Continent and in Great Britain. The British and Germans were PP'ing bullets in cartridges almost as soon as the cartridge case was developed. Here in the US I don't believe we were far behind them. One may be using a different, (newer chemically), lube and I'm not certain if the same kind of papers are available for patching but I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that there is any "new" method. That would be like me saying the wooly bugger fly I modified quite a bit had never been tied before. Yea, right. the changes were too obvious for someone else, somewhere NOT to have previously tied it.

Back to original topic...I use cast in most of what I shoot, handgun and rifle. The biggest reason "why" is because I like them...and most of what I prefer to shoot these days is either BP cartridge rifles or very early smokeless, some cartridges that made the transition from black to smokeless and some that didn't. I can't remember the last head of big game I killed with a jacketed bullet. Has to be 25 years ago or more.

The "how" is in almost everything...for plinking, testing, hunting....I don't know what I would not use them for.

I do still shoot some jacketed bullets. I have three rifles that I have worked with recently that come to mind. The first is a 1903 M/S in 6.5 X 54 M/S in which the bore is a bit frosty. It prefers a diet of jacketed, 140 gr. bullets. The second is a pre-war Peterlongo, Mauser sporter in 9 X 71 Peterlongo, for which I have to date developed only one load. I have some cast bullets on the way to try in it. Hopefully this fine old pre-WW1 sporter will like galena. The last is a pre-WW1, Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling in 9.3 X 75R, (now you know where my nick came from), which has the rifle barrel about 5 inches shorter than the shotgun barrels. If cast is fired in the rifle barrel the bottom of the shotgun tubes are literally lead plated and a huge pain to remove. That and the barrel has....I don't know what to call it but I'll say "duplex Henry rifling". That is two, narrow, high lands quite close together then approximately 1/4 way round the barrel that is repeated. I believe the barrel might like paper patch, as with Henry rifling which was designed for PP. I was originally proofed for copper jacketed bullets, they don't "plate" the bottom of the shotgun tubes so I am very unlikely to try anything else since I got a jacketed load worked up that shoots to the original sights.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x75R---Do you cast your own? You stated you have used them and have some on the way which sounds like possibly you don't cast them. Tie your own flies but don't cast your own bullets would be a big contradiction. Oh and welcome aboard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought my first mold in 1973 and have been casting ever since. I suppose there is close to 50 molds out there in the shop....(along with a metal lathe and soon a vertical mill. I do about all my own everything) The bullets on the way are for the 9 X 71 Peterlongo. Oddly, I have never worked with a 35 cal. rifle before this one and had an opportunity to pick up just 20 bullets to try before springing for another custom or semi-custom mold.

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's going to try these in the 9 X 71 Peterlongo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir!!! I am!!! Ain't that a good lookin' bullet? I have high hopes for it in that rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LAH, is that the SAECO #352? I got a handful of those in a bullet purchase several months ago, and they are absolutely gorgeous. I want to try them in my 35 Whelens, but am having a whale of a time finding the mould!

Another gorgeous job of casting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are from an NOE mold, a clone of the RCBS bullet.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/p...h=35&products_id=509

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh... I have the RCBS 35-200 mould, and the meplat on that bullet is larger than what the RCBS mould throws. I think Swede modified the mould a bit... Is it a nominal 200-grain bullet as cast?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
215 grains checked & lubed.

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
How? Like everybody else, I'd imagine.

Why? Cheaper, but mostly because I love doing it and they work.

My rifle casting is pretty much limited to .30 caliber 'though I do have some of Dad's old .45 caliber moulds. For a while I was pretty heavy into MilSurp rifles and that really got me in to casting. Then I started competing locally in our High Power matches on the reduced course. Using cast bullets only and one of my slightly Wink modified Swiss K-31's, I attained an Expert qualification all the while baffling the AR shooters who were burying 25¢ match hollowpoints in the 100 yd. berm Then an interest in Cowboy Action took over which got me into single action handguns and HEAVY in to casting and loading for the .44 Special. That lead to my first season of handgun hunting last year and two does and a buck now reside in my freezer.

I have ZERO use for jacketed bullets in my handguns. I cast a hollowpoint for one of my .308's for deer that I use when I'm hunting areas and shots will be 125 yds. or less. The only jacketed bullets I use anymore are in my rifles when I'm hunting deer or elk.

A few cast bullet credits:

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35W, that is a darned good eight! Congrats!!!

For me, only four deer and a red stag with cast (two with revolver, two with muzzleloader), but I never took pictures. I guess it is because I grew up a meat hunter, and nothing I have ever shot (with the exception of a 5X5 bull elk) was ever worth taking photos of...

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I too am first and foremost a meat hunter, horns come second.
As far as I'm concerned ANY game killed with cast is a trophy!

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What load you shooting in that 45? My favorite carry pistol after my 1911 is a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. I throw a lot of cast down range with it using Universal Clays and Unique. This particular gun came polished stainless with white plastic grips. I Replaced the grips with wood and had the polished stainless beadblasted to a soft grey. It shoots nicely with 9.0 grs of unique and virtually any heavy cast. I have been using LEE's WFN 255 gr. bullet a lot lately.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote