New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting bullets into Copper jackets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It has probably been a couple of years but I remember seeing a post about a guy who made .375 caliber jacketed bullets by casting them into copper tubes. IIRC he had a mold made and he could drop the tube into it before he closed the sprue plate and then poured the lead. Kind of came out with a jacketed bullet with a lead nose and exposed base.

Might be more trouble than it is worth but looked like a neat idea. What would be the less desirable aspects of casting some boolits this way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
considering youd have very little venting id bet it would be tough to get consistant bullets.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
One of the issues that arose when shooters used to cut or file the nose of military hard ball rounds to get expansion (poor mans soft point) was that in some cases the jacket would stick in the bore and the core was blown out leaving a dangerous bore blockage when the next round is fired.

To pour a cast bullet with a copper jacket, soft point and EXPOSED BASE as you are alluding to would virtually duplicate the condition I've mentioned above.

Pondoro Taylor in his famous book on African cartridges and rifles really slammed the practice of doctoring solids in this way and could not condemn it enough.

Posts: 3860 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
dpcd

You are correct and I did not add this to my post. If the lead core was locked to the jacket, either bonded or some form of crimp, then this will prevent core blow through. Not sure that it would be worth all the trouble though.

With the big bores it is possible to load cast bullets to factory velocities for most of them.

Posts: 3860 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, knew I wasn't crazy. I checked NEI and it doesn't look like they make that mold anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you roughed up the inside of the copper tube and fluxed it, put it in the mold, then pre-heated the mold before pouring, wouldn't the lead bond to the copper as if it were solder?

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cup and core softs have been around awhile .. the barnes originals and hawk bullets are .. people have been cutting off cases and using them, well, forever .. not accurate, but better than a bang-flag...

LOTS of rumors about hawks and jacket seperations .. though not a single lawsuit ... in america, that strikes me funny, as no one complains about barnes originals, and no one sues the corbin brothers ....

and if you fluxed the copper, yeah, it probably would solder in .. gaps and pockets and all

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paco Kelly wrote at some length about doing exactly what you speak of. I would do an Internet search; the article is out there...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
It is possible to 'tin' the interior of the copper tube with soft solder prior to casting in the core. Have you considered paper patching? Starting load velocities would be the order of the day.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote