THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    which is better beartooth, cast performance or jae-bok young

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which is better beartooth, cast performance or jae-bok young
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
i just bought some beartooth 550 pile driver bullets, but ive been wondering who makes the best wfngc 458 cal bullet. what is your opinion and experience? needs to go out the tube of a new marlin guide gun and 45-70 bfr. thanks beer

http://www.competitor-pistol.com/jb%20bullets.html

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

http://www.castperformance.com/users/performance/catalo...bdc&Tp=2&Vl=1&Pos=20

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick, that kind of depends on your rifle. If your bullets you are buying are .458, I'll bet they are too small for your bore. .459-.460 seem to be more the norm for a .45 bore rifle. Have you slugged the bore?

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i am buying .459 but for 45-70 458 is just the cal nomenclature

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
They both make great bullets, I don't think you'll see any difference between the two on game. I would try a box of each to see what your gun prefers.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is not what you asked, but I've had great success with Mt. Baldy bullets.

Customer service was quite good, and the bullets are top performers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are good cast bullet makers.At the quanity
that these guys sell,they pretty much have it down to a science.I use Beartooth,and have
had good results,over the years.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick, I think I still have an RCBS 500-grain FNGC mould. If you want to try some, PM me and we will talk. I am still between jobs, and have the time to cast some for you.

And I will:
1) seat the checks, leave them unsized and let you lube them,
2) check and pan lube them with my version of Emmert lube

or

3) run them thru a .459" sizer and put Alox lube on them when I seat the check.

Your choice... just let me know.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think as much as you are wanting to try different things that you might get along real well with casting your own. Then you could try soft nose with a hard shank or different alloys, 1/2 wheel weights 1/2 lino, try different lubes...
There are many factory molds around, but if you wanted something taylored to YOUR needs, then you could look into the semi-custom molds from
http://www.mountianmolds.com
He makes a hell of a good mold.
He made the 500gn mold for my 470 NE. It shoots good with full power loads at least while I'm not worried about getting my finger smacked by the trigger gaurd.
You may want to see what nose profiles will feed in your gun first before buying though.

The 405's are controllable and accurate in my 45-70 BFR, the 500's were all painful to shoot, but that was after I got through shooting the 405's.
The heavy loads in the BFR can be real interesting. I had the gun come back and smack the bill of my cap one day when I relaxed abit too much.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote