Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunt video.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted
Wow... could have been a bit cleaner but oh well.

Hog Hunt

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Posts: 98 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding footage. thumb What caliber were they shot with?

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
Dunno, just found the video while surfing the web. Smiler

Posts: 98 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
VARMINT-VENTALATOR: What caliber were they shot with?

Don't know either but looked/sounded like something big!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Looked a lot like brush in South Texas.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, but there is no excuse for shooting a pig so he kicks, lies there and squeals, especially if he was as close as the camera shows. I know, they are just animals, but even animals deserve a clean kill...

JMHO...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
VARMINT-VENTALATOR: What caliber were they shot with?

Don't know either but looked/sounded like something big!

Agreed

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Doubless,

Your comment seems ridiculous. The 1st pig was dead when it hit the ground. The 2nd took all of 15 seconds and dropped on the spot. Too bad we can't all kill as irresponsibly as this shooter did.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent footage! The fact that they didn't run off means that they were hit well. I have had plent of them twitch but not squeal. Nothing worse than chasing them IMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
good shooting, this was what i consider a pretty clean kill, dropped on the spot, dead very quickly, try and do that with archery equipment.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I am sorry, but there is no excuse for shooting a pig so he kicks, lies there and squeals, especially if he was as close as the camera shows. I know, they are just animals, but even animals deserve a clean kill...

JMHO...

it isn't the quick drop at the shot death that bothers me but rather that some found enough enjoyment in watching the animal die that they felt a video of it needed to be sent around the 'net. shame

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the second one could have been shot again in order to end its sufferings Roll Eyes...

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
excellent footage

I would have shot the second one again, but that's a personal note.

the first one was dead dead dead... but pigs are tough

neither took a step, the first shot was better
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 15 hogs from 1 Mar 2005 thru 28 Feb 2006 and had one or two kick that long (and never had one not kick at all), but I strictly use head shots. I believe the second pig was a lung shot based on the red cloud in the air with each breath. Deer do the same thing but because they usually are running away, you don't see it. Even good bow shots where you get a good double-lung hit die as fast, but again, because they run away you don't see it. I shot one deer through both lungs that ran about 80 yds (in about 3 seconds) stopped, and just tipped over. The blood trail was the proverbial "6-inch paint brush and a can of red paint trail" that you could follow with your eyes closed.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Niether one was a quick kill rewatch the footage, you'll see the first one move, I agree with the other no need to let the pig suffer, first ones doesn't do it hit it again.

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

I agree, think how many deer, etc. run after they've been shot. We don't see it as dramatically as these 2 hogs but it still happens. If you don't like the video or think it's not in good taste that's one thing, but I don't like it when everyone's a critic. The 2nd hog died in under 20 seconds and wasn't going anywhere and if I'm looking for good meat, I really don't want to put another slug in him. If you want to pump another one into him, knock yourself out. But to talk about a poor little piggy suffering when it dropped on the spot and died in under 20 seconds, give me a break. And I mean no disrespect to the pig because every animal deserves a clean kill, and that is what happened here. And Dave James doesn't even think the first pig was a quick kill. So I guess we should keep slinging lead until there is no nervous system activity left, give me another break. I can't imagine what a deer feels like when my broadhead flies through it's lungs and he takes off running for 75 yards spraying blood 6 ft. on either side, but guess what, he's dead, he just doesn't know it yet. Everyone's a critic, lighten up a little.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Prewar70 -- couldn't agree with you more.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
As tough as hogs are supposed to be, I am not sure you could expect less than 10-20 seconds worth of motion after a well-placed, fatal shot. We had a suicide on the police scanner at work the other night in which the ex-boyfriend shot himself through the head on the girlfriend's porch with a .357, and he was kicking at least that long, according to what we were hearing from the girlfriend watching through a window. But I'm with Jeffe -- I probably would have put one more bullet between the second hog's front legs, but then I have only killed deer, not hogs.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16650 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience, when I shoot a hog in the head with my .22-250, .25-06, or 7 Mag, they drop like a rock and then their legs "pedal" as if they are trying to run, sometimes resulting in the carcass turning a complete circle. All motion stops after a short time-maybe 6-7 seconds. Next one I shoot I'll keep one eye on the clock while I make sure I'm ready for a follow-up in case it tries to get up and run to verify my opinion of the time. And, then when I get back to the camp and skin the hog, I'll find an exit hole that is nickel to quarter-sized right out of the brain cavity. I could shoot the moving hog again but he wouldn't be any deader.

For a graphic look at what kind of exit wound I'm talking about, go here:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/PA250251.jpg

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
btw, I reviewed the video under frame by frame.. first shot is clearly a head shot..

and I too have seen them "run" with no brain, laying on their side, pinwheeling.

the second shot was too far back.. but not by much.
still would probably have hit it again, unless it was now out of LOS and a second shot would have been unsure if it would hit animal or richochette.

i've had to follow up on worse shots, both shot's i've made and shots clients have...

for what it's worth, I shot a boat low, but in the shoulder, with the 550 express.. blew it's far leg OFF (using hawk bullets) and he "ran" 70+ yards

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the first pig was dead by the time he hit the ground. The second reminded me of a hog I also hit too far back on a running shot a few years ago; I quickly put a finishing shot into the head.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of those were clean kills.

I've blown a 4" section of spine out of the neck of a pig and it did the alligator dance for 20 seconds - deader than dead the whole time.

Another one took a .300 win mag through both lungs, and still ran 50 yards before augering in - with a chunk of lung hanging out the exit hole.

Pigs don't die easy sometimes, but I doubt that second pig would have been alive by the time someone capped it in the ear to finish it off.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Good grief! Both of those were fine shots.

If you expect death like a bolt of lightning from the sky, you need to use a bolt of lightning (from the sky no less).

Sheesh! If you can't bear to see nerves, muscles, reflexes, etc... use a camera.

Sorry, I just get worked up every so often.

Wink

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of txjss
posted Hide Post
Thought I would reply to this thread as I am the hunter in question. I did not mean to stir up controversy with the video. Here's the facts: Hogs were taken at a distance of 130 yds with 7mm REM. Mag shooting 140 gn Nosler Partitions. The 1st hog was shot directly behind the bottom of ear...I feel this hog never knew what hit it. As far as the movement after the shot, it's the nerves reacting. On the second hog, it came back to the feeder within 20 sec. of 1st kill, which is very unusual for these hogs in our area. Upon second hog reappearing, I set my video camera back up and knowing I wouldn't have much time, I shot behind the shoulder which I rarely do because it has been my experience that these hogs usually run 50-75 yds before going down. So, if I have the time, I always aim for the head. As you can tell by the 1st hog, it puts them down immediately. Back to the 2nd hog. It wasn't shot too far back, it was a direct lung shot and I was surprised that it did not run for some distance. I realize some people would find this video offensive (my wife does) but this is part of hunting.

This is my 1st post but I have enjoyed this site as an observer for many years. Hope this clears up some of the controversy.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big-Ed:
Good grief! Both of those were fine shots.

If you expect death like a bolt of lightning from the sky, you need to use a bolt of lightning (from the sky no less).

Sheesh! If you can't bear to see nerves, muscles, reflexes, etc... use a camera.

Sorry, I just get worked up every so often.

Wink

Even lightning can cause twitching after "death"...
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
Dustoffer,

I agree, think how many deer, etc. run after they've been shot. We don't see it as dramatically as these 2 hogs but it still happens. If you don't like the video or think it's not in good taste that's one thing, but I don't like it when everyone's a critic. The 2nd hog died in under 20 seconds and wasn't going anywhere and if I'm looking for good meat, I really don't want to put another slug in him. If you want to pump another one into him, knock yourself out. But to talk about a poor little piggy suffering when it dropped on the spot and died in under 20 seconds, give me a break. And I mean no disrespect to the pig because every animal deserves a clean kill, and that is what happened here. And Dave James doesn't even think the first pig was a quick kill. So I guess we should keep slinging lead until there is no nervous system activity left, give me another break. I can't imagine what a deer feels like when my broadhead flies through it's lungs and he takes off running for 75 yards spraying blood 6 ft. on either side, but guess what, he's dead, he just doesn't know it yet. Everyone's a critic, lighten up a little.

Yup.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James AND A HOST OF OTHERS:
Niether one was a quick kill rewatch the footage, you'll see the first one move, I agree with the other no need to let the pig suffer, first ones doesn't do it hit it again.

Yeah, kind of like a chicken running with it's head cut off.

Quick, shoot it again, it's not dead yet!

Riiiiight!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well dammit, now I have to put my bow away forever. I've trailed arrow shot hogs for several hundred yards. CRYBABY

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txjss:
...Hope this clears up some of the controversy.

First off welcome to the forum and great video. Thanks for sharing.

Next:
What controversy?

A couple of guys yipping about death twitches?
The French had to tie people down before cutting off their heads to keep their decapitated "bodies" from leaping, standing, walking, etc. after the blade fell.
Are you guys going to tell me these people weren’t dead?

I am no proponent of torture, but these animals were D-E-A-D.

DRT.
History.
Gone.
Deceased.
Left this world.
Sausage, pork chops and bacon.
Etc.

Give me a freakin' break...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Amen Flippy!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I guess if those two shots bothered one or more of you, then you gentlemen better stay the hell away from kosher meats.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Great Grandmother, all of 5 ft tall and 90 lbs soaking wet, was the first to stick the pig and catch the blood so she could make blood sausage. I thank God there were no video recorders in those days, the footage would make this video look like a disney flick! Personnaly, I don't like to remember the kill as much as I do the hunt. I would say that both these pigs appear very dead from impact and both were well shot!

Posts: 7 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
txjss
welcome and thanks for the video.

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
txjss,

Will you tell us where to ge the video off the web? I have some hunting buddies in Calif. that would love to see that.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who say they would put another shot into piggie #2, I am assuming to be "humane", WHY? We have all seen it before, through the scope you see blood spraying out of a down animal indicating it is either double lunged or heart shot. No one who has seen that loses the animal. This animal had its vitals away from the hunter for most of the time it was sqealing with nothing but its hide quarters to shoot at. Your going to do it a favor and shoot it in the ass? That would surely make it feel better not to mention do wonders for tenderizing the meat. You people need to think before you speak. No hunter wants to make its quarry suffer as you are implying by your posts. GOOD SHOOTING txjss!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of txjss
posted Hide Post
Perry,

The video is posted on huntingfootage.com
Catagory: Hog & Javelina
Look for txjss username, Title: Hogs a Hurtin'

I also have another video under Other/Misc clips titled Hunting 2005 Web Video. This slideshow will show a lot of different animals we harvested this year. I will try to post the link below.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/index.php

Thanks for your interest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry: the video doesn´t show the distance and the hogs seem to be very near. Thus I suggested that perhaps another shot could have been taken, perhaps to the head if the hunter didn´t look for the tusks...now at 100-plus yards that´s entirely another kettle of fish.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is understandable.

Perry

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
txjss,

Welcome!! Congrats on the hunt and the good kills. As to the rest, prewar70 summed it up for me just fine.......

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
nice video very good shot .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
txjss:
Excellent video I may have to buy a camcorder for my next hunt.

I would not have shot a second time on hog No2 he did not run and died quick.

Thanks for sharing.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

for what it's worth, I shot a boat low, but in the shoulder, with the 550 express.. blew it's far leg OFF (using hawk bullets) and he "ran" 70+ yards

Sometimes they can run (?) a ways with the on-side leg hanging by a string and the off-side leg having a prior break and not being functional--right?