Notify
Tools

what is the best hog to hunt ect...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
much ado about hog bloodlines...

what is the best hog to hunt in terms of dificulty?
meat?
trophy?

i hear of ranches that have european hogs to hunt...are they worth it?

i hear that california hogs have some euro boar mix to them.

there is not much glamor in shooting a pen raised pig and i would like one that has some good tusks.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I don't think blood lines have anything to do with it if they are truely wild. A wild pig is a wild pig be it a feral boar or a Euro. You get some very cagey ferals here in Australia and you get some dumb ones as well. I would think it would be the same with Euro boars.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everglades.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear much about euro, feral, razorback, in this area with everyone haveing an opinion on which is best. For me, the thrill is the hunt, stalk, shot and clean take of the WILD animal, I dont want to chase a farm animal either. The ones around here are without a doubt wild as HELL!!! As to their pedigree I cant speculate, but the ones along the Red River tend to have smaller tusk due to grazing along sandy wheat fields I think. Those east and south of me tend to have longer tusk, possibly due to harder soils. A good taxidermist can fix the tusk problem if you are so inclined.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Most of the wild hogs have similar behavior be it Russian, razorback, feral, etc. The terrain in which you hunt the boar is the challenge. Or better yet, you can be like our South American friends, charter some Dogos and grab an unusually large knife.

Tusks are hard to spot on a boar as they tend to be under the lip unless the mouth is open. All of the breeds have tusks, the razorback may be slightly smaller.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Like the others said, a wild hog is a wild hog. Sometimes they cut and run, sometimes they sling attitude. The hardest hogs to hunt that I've encountered were in Missouri, but that is because they were hunted hard and very leary, so they spooked easily and they were really hard to stalk. But so are the hogs I've hunted in Florida.......see what I'm trying to say?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BoomStick,
As to hog bloodlines, I really couldn’t say. I’ve hunted hogs in east Texas and the Texas hill country. Shot my first hog in the mid 60’s. Seems they’ve been in the state either domestic or feral forever. One lease I hunt is near Concan, Texas, in the Texas hill country. Reportedly it had no hogs at all until a guy brought up 6 hogs 20 years ago. Supposedly he let them go and the rest is history. Unbelievable number of hogs on this lease. Some years I shoot upward of 40 hog annually. They make a perfect medium for trying out different bullets, loads and calibers.
I am including some pictures of the hogs that visit my feeders whose photos were captured by game cams. Never been to Russia, but the old timers and ranchers tell me that the longer and narrower the snout, big shoulders and small hindquarters indicates Russian in the bloodline. Couldn’t prove it myself.

As to best hunt in terms of difficulty would be hogs that have been under a lot of hunting pressure. They’re pretty smart critters. In Texas its legal to hunt them day or night with any type of weapon. We bait them using spin cast feeders, hog pipes as well as digging a hole in the ground and putting hog wild or moulded corn and or roasted soybeans. We also corn the roads at night then come back a couple of hours later and nail them w/ shotguns.

Old timers used to say don’t eat hogs during the hot months of summer. I eat them all year long. The big boars can be pretty foul but sows under 200 lbs and boars that their nuts haven’t dropped are great eating. Take the backstraps or tenders, marinate them in teriyaki sauce, pepper, garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s seasoning, put them on a grill over hot coals, makes for mighty fine fare.

The older boars have better tusks, but like whitetails, they don’t get old by being stupid. Typicallly, I have my best luck just morning and evening when its almost to dark to see through a scope at 80 to 100 yds.
gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
great stuff...

i like the look of the russian and euro hogs but if ther are wild and great stalking it dont matter...the trophy is in the stalk. i would love to put a 45-70 vent hole in one but i think my bow would give me a supreme smirk for weeks

thanks for the great replies and photos wave

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boomstick,

Opening day of 06 deer season I had spread some corn along the road in front of the stand I was sitting in . Had my 45-70 guide gun w/me.I load 400 gr speers over 53 gr. of IMR 3031. Had a group of hgs come out and started munchin on the corn. Shot one and they took off, dropped three more going up the hill. Nice thing about a 45-70 is it does very little meat damage and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.
If you are shooting hogs with a bow be sure to hit them low. Most people shoot to high and they run off without leaving a blood trail and you'll lose both the hog and the arrow.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
boomstick,

Opening day of 06 deer season I had spread some corn along the road in front of the stand I was sitting in . Had my 45-70 guide gun w/me.I load 400 gr speers over 53 gr. of IMR 3031. Had a group of hgs come out and started munchin on the corn. Shot one and they took off, dropped three more going up the hill. Nice thing about a 45-70 is it does very little meat damage and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.
If you are shooting hogs with a bow be sure to hit them low. Most people shoot to high and they run off without leaving a blood trail and you'll lose both the hog and the arrow.
GWB

great story...

i wonder if you can do a texas heart shot in a pig with a bow???

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Geedubya -- my exact sentiments. My brother-in-law shot a sow that was running away from us in the back with his 45/70 and it blew a huge hole in it -- flipped the hog when it was hit. Strangest thing I've ever seen! He was using a factory loaded 350 grain soft point, and it made quite the mess -- I'll dig up the photo and post it. Strange day indeed! He has a Marlin Guidegun with an 18-inch barrel -- handy little hog hammer!

Boomy, too bad you're not out East as we'd drag you along on a cheap hog hunt! But, I'm warning you, once you kill your first hog, you'll be addicted.

Geedubya -- your backstrap recipe made my mouth water!

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Geedubya -- some of the hogs in the phots have some serious teeth!!

Here's the pic of the sow my brother-in-law shot in the back. Interesting, I think you will agree.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i got the guide gun...lots of fun.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That's all you need Boomy!! Does it have an 18-inch barrel? My brother-in-law's handles really well!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth,
that kind of results are not uncommon with a shot from that angle. But I bet there was little to no bloodshot meat. I prefer the 400 grain soft point over the 350 grainer or 300 gr hollow point. I've shot deer hogs and coyote with my 45-70 and everything I've shot has dropped on the spot. They might not have been stone cold dead, but they didn't take another step. Here is a pix of my guide gun and 400 grain speers. This is one of the earlier 1895g's with the 18" ported barrell. Believe it or not I have shot 1" groups with this rifle zeroed at 120 yds.
GWB

GWB

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
That's all you need Boomy!! Does it have an 18-inch barrel? My brother-in-law's handles really well!

stainless 18.5" barrel 2.5x leupold fixed power scout scope.

i love going to the range and hitting the pig gongs at 200 yards...chuchuk boom! 1,2,3, bong!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Geedubya -- your accuracy doesn't surprise me!! Nice guidegun! I too am a believer in heavy for caliber bullets and I've talked my brother-in-law into going with a heavier bullet. No, there wasn't much bloodshot meat, but I've never seen a wound like that! I just blew this huge hole into the back! I'm a big fan of hardcast bullets -- particularly when the velocity isn't very high.

There's a really big, toothy hog in the trail cam photos you've posted! Where is that? I've never hunted hogs in Texas, but it's on the list!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth,
The photos that have the legend at the bottom were taken at my lease near Concan Texas. This location is about 16 miles north of Uvalde Texas off SH-83. We have about 2,000 acres, out of 30,000 acres. We are six miles off the Highway.
The mount and the day photo without the legend was taken on the Rex Kelly ranch which is about 12 miles north of Vanderpool Texas.
This ranch is 3,000 acres. Both properties are low fenced and are surrounded by numerous other low fenced ranches.
Hogs are pretty much a nuisance around here and most ranchers want you to shoot every one you see, even if you let them lay, so they are fair game year around. I'm sure you can find a place to hunt them should you chose to come down.
GWB

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whitworth,
that kind of results are not uncommon with a shot from that angle. But I bet there was little to no bloodshot meat. I prefer the 400 grain soft point over the 350 grainer or 300 gr hollow point. I've shot deer hogs and coyote with my 45-70 and everything I've shot has dropped on the spot. They might not have been stone cold dead, but they didn't take another step. Here is a pix of my guide gun and 400 grain speers. This is one of the earlier 1895g's with the 18" ported barrell. Believe it or not I have shot 1" groups with this rifle zeroed at 120 yds.
GWB

GWB

I agree with Geedubya, on the 400 gr bullet in the 45-70, and i believe the absolute best use of a 45-70 rifle is for big boar, black bear, and moose, and the 400 gr bullet works best for them all! I have three 45-70 rifles, a S/S double rifle, and Ruger No1, and an 1895 Marlin that I customized many years before the Guide guns came out. I cut the barrel back to 16 1/2", extended the magazine to the muzzle, and mounted sling swivels near the muzzle on the mag tube, and on the stock. Installed a Pachmeyr decelorator recoil pad, and mounted a set of Warne QD rings, and bases for a scope, that could be removed for tight work, and return to zero when re-installed. I built this rifle to carry while fishing in Alaska, with the sling hung over the top tube of my pack frame! It is always there, and far better than a pistol to defend yourslef from the cheeky Brown bears that think all the fish belong to them.

I belong to a groupe of guys who shoot Nitro double rifles, and in the last few years we have been hunting ranches in Texas with the big bores, simply nobody can aford to got to Africa every three or four months. Believe me, when I tell you a 570 gr, 577NE bullet will kill hogs! and so will a little 196 gr 8X57 JR bullet from a trim little German double rifle, and are fun to hunt with!
Gentlemen, there are two kinds of ranch land in Texas, those that have wild hogs, and those that will have wild hogs, because they bread like jackrabbits, and no fence in the world will hold them for long! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Mac -- I've used my big-bores on a number of hogs (.416 Rem, .458 Lott), and in my opinion, there is no better practice with a rifle than a live target! I think my .416 is damn near perfect for hogs. Last time out I took my squirrel gun (.338 win mag) and bagged two........

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think that the best looking hog for a shoulder mount or full body would definately be one of Russian blood. When the hair stands up on their back you better have the hammer cocked! Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Hey Boomie,

If you ever want to go, I know a few places here in California we try. I'm planning on seeing Kyler this spring, maybe, once my back heals up and I can keep up with him.

PM me if you're ever interested. Parkfield is not far from Bakersfield.

Of course, I'd love to go to Texas one day to hunt hogs.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
Hey Boomie,

If you ever want to go, I know a few places here in California we try. I'm planning on seeing Kyler this spring, maybe, once my back heals up and I can keep up with him.

PM me if you're ever interested. Parkfield is not far from Bakersfield.

Of course, I'd love to go to Texas one day to hunt hogs.

I would love it...

how is the hunting around thanksgiving?

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
BoomStick,
As to hog bloodlines, I really couldn’t say. I’ve hunted hogs in east Texas and the Texas hill country. Shot my first hog in the mid 60’s. Seems they’ve been in the state either domestic or feral forever. One lease I hunt is near Concan, Texas, in the Texas hill country. Reportedly it had no hogs at all until a guy brought up 6 hogs 20 years ago. Supposedly he let them go and the rest is history. Unbelievable number of hogs on this lease. Some years I shoot upward of 40 hog annually. They make a perfect medium for trying out different bullets, loads and calibers.
I am including some pictures of the hogs that visit my feeders whose photos were captured by game cams. Never been to Russia, but the old timers and ranchers tell me that the longer and narrower the snout, big shoulders and small hindquarters indicates Russian in the bloodline. Couldn’t prove it myself.

As to best hunt in terms of difficulty would be hogs that have been under a lot of hunting pressure. They’re pretty smart critters. In Texas its legal to hunt them day or night with any type of weapon. We bait them using spin cast feeders, hog pipes as well as digging a hole in the ground and putting hog wild or moulded corn and or roasted soybeans. We also corn the roads at night then come back a couple of hours later and nail them w/ shotguns.

Old timers used to say don’t eat hogs during the hot months of summer. I eat them all year long. The big boars can be pretty foul but sows under 200 lbs and boars that their nuts haven’t dropped are great eating. Take the backstraps or tenders, marinate them in teriyaki sauce, pepper, garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s seasoning, put them on a grill over hot coals, makes for mighty fine fare.

The older boars have better tusks, but like whitetails, they don’t get old by being stupid. Typicallly, I have my best luck just morning and evening when its almost to dark to see through a scope at 80 to 100 yds.
gwb

GW,
please, please, please take an Irishman hunting with you...please?

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Here's a pure European.........shot this one back in '04.......(sorry if you've seen this pic before!)........

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
BEAUTY!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boomy! thumb

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great looking hog Whit!

I never knew you had a shoulder mounted one. If I ever get one with decent cutters I will definately do the same

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That one actually took 3rd place in a taxidermy show! I have another mount that was of a big, ugly, tusky hog I shot in Florida in '01 or '02, but this one is a lot better. Regret not having the big red one I shot in Spring mounted.......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love to hunt Javalinas and as a kid used to shoot them with a single shot 22 short for my dad as they destroyed our water lines on the ranch. that is how I bought my first .22, a mod. 63 win. auto.

I don't agree that a hog is a hog, A pure bred Russian is much more agressive IMO than the rest of the hogs. He is my choice to hunt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote