Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of California pigs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
I thought people might enjoy seeing a few pictures of pigs we've taken in the last several months.

The ranch in the background is on the market right now if anybody wants a hunting property on the Central Coast of California.

This last pig was taken at first light this morning using a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle in .270 Win. with 140 Gr. Swift bullets.

Great hunting with great hunters,

Kyler Hamann

khamann@boaring.com

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler- Very nice pics and some nice hogs as well. Thanks for sharing!

Aloha!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Hey Kyler,

I think I see the two that Fernando and I missed! Anyway, looks like things are going pretty good over there. I hope so anyway.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Nice hogs. I especially like that first one.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
love the 5th one...maybe because of the marlin Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the calico-colored ones.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
What did the first pig's tusk measure? They look great.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures!!
Increadible tusks in some of them... Eeker

Hunting pigs during day light without using dogs as you do there must be great, nothing against dogs (I use them from time to time) but stalking pigs during day light must be cool.

Where in California these hunts are??

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

These hunts are about a 150 miles south of San Francisco. If you look at a map of California and go half way down the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco and then go slighty north and inland about 40 miles you would be there.

The town is called Parkfield it is the earthquake center of capital.

I have hunted with Kyler many times...you come to San Franscisco on holiday...we leave the women to go shopping and you and I go kill pigs...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10085 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!! I've looked at your website and I'm planning to contact a couple of buddies to set up a hunt. Keep the photos coming!

Posts: 53 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Sounds good, do you think Kyler can handler an uruguayan poacher ? Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
So Sonoma has both wine and wild pigs. Great. thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

Kyler expects me to keep my friends sorted....

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10085 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
The video below was made in Parkfield:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/pighunt.avi

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i have family in sonoma, its beautifull up there...even if you dont come home with the bacon it is still a great trip thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Damn, Kyler, that first one's got some serious cutters!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler - Nice pictures. Sounds like you run a good hunting operation. If you get a chance how about giving a short summary of how you hunt. I understand it's spot and stalk but any other details would be appreciated.

I didn't know Sonoma County had a bunch of hogs. I was just out there for a week and had no idea.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see some good pigs from California!

Thanks for posting the photos...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
Thanks for the nice comments. I know I like seeing new photos so I thought these might be of interest.
Let me make it clear that some of boars in the pictures are not our average pig. We don’t just stroll out and shoot 200 to 300 pound boars with 3 and 4†tusks... it’s not that kind of hunt.

Hog Killer – That first pig had honest 4†lowers. Good uppers as well. As mentioned above that quality is not easy to find here (or anywhere else that hunts fair chase most likely).

Lorenzo – As Mike’s map shows (Thanks Mike!) we are half way between San Franscico and Los Angeles, pretty close to the coast. We have a fair amount of wine production in the Paso Robles area but don’t have the name of the Somona area (yet!). I could be wrong but I can’t think of many big hunting operations in the Sonoma area. I’m guessing most of the pigs taken there are from private parties. Our ranches are expensive enough in this area but I can’t imagine trying to get a liability policy for a big ranch that’s worth $100,000 PER ACRE.

MarcF – Feel free to email questions anytime. We’ll be glad to set you up.

Rattlesnaker – As you mentioned we hunt mainly spot and stalk. Many of my competition do use dogs (some use truck chases [what I call their “V8 Stalkâ€], bait, pen raised pigs, etc. too but I won’t get into that) and those other techniques are much more successful than our methods but they aren’t my style.
We generally access the ranches with four wheel drives, walk the likely areas, drive to ridge tops and glass or wait on frequented fields and watering areas. Occassionally it’s too wet to get onto the ranches and then we have to access them by foot but that’s pretty rare.
Most of the properties we hunt have some barley either planted on them or near them. Those crops will help concentrate the pigs to the lower parts of the ranches for part of the year. Generally they’ll start getting interested in the barley fields between March and May and continue feeding in those fields until September or October. In our winter and early spring we’re looking for the pigs rooting on the hillsides and under the oaks (mostly blue oaks, but we have 6 species of oaks in the area). The pigs are looking for acorns, roots, bulbs, insect larva and will even graze on grass.
When the pigs are feeding in the barley it helps our success because they are concentrated but since they are finding feed easily they are also extremely nocturnal (legal hunting hours here are one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset) so that adds to the challenge.

Hope that clears up some questions.
Anyone should feel free to email questions, I’m stuck in front of the computer today and tomorrow anyway.

Regards,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i wouldnt mind hunting there but are they all free roaming boars......if so why 300$ each.

thats why im looking at texas at least there i can go and blast as many pigs as i want and much cheaper.

i would like to go on a 5-6 day hunt pay about 200$/day and thats it and kill as many pigs as id like hopfully around 6-7

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
700 Nitro,

There are all free roaming and that is just the going rate in CA.

Pig hunting on public land is very poor so private land has "a price tag". Land in that area sells for about 10k-12k an acre with nothing on it. In many ways, the price of pig hunting reflects the price of "leasing" a $10 million dollar asset for a day.

With out a doubt pig hunting in TX is less expensive but for someone like me I have to throw in air fare etc to get to TX.

Pigs are not as "thick" in CA as they are TX. 1 pig a day per hunter is great success.

Other than deer which are success rate is I believe under 12% it is the only other big game we have.

Well we do have Desert Big Horn but it is 5 tags a year and there is a Tule Elk draw which is may be 8 or 10 bulls for the state. Oh yea there are maybe a 100 or so antelope tags issued...

Mike

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
the cutters on that first pig are HUGE !!! nice pics, a pleasure to see indeed

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i talked to a friend of mine ron young he owens expeditions by ron i booked my elephant hunt with him he found me a killer spot to kill pigs all i can shoot for a week.

plus im going to us dogs for 1-2 days and junt them using a boar spear and maybe my sword.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a place to hunt 700 Nitro. It sounds like you're looking for a very different hunt than what we offer.

Best of luck,
Kyler

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Kyler, I may be in California over the holidays -- do you have anything open around that time? I haven't hunted boar in nearly a year and I have a serious jones....... You can PM me if you would like. Thanks in advance.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Sure, there are some openings around the holidays. PM on the way.

Kyler

one of us
posted Hide Post
what is the type of hunt you offer........

im not into trophy hunting not with pigs anyways iv been to texas befor years ago and killed a few pigs in the 275-350 range thats plenty big for me.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
700N,
275-350 lbs. is tremendous size for real feral (wild) pigs that aren't being fed. We shoot many meat pigs and some trophies as they cooperate.
What I meant is that we don't use dogs and knives and spears aren't legal in CA.
Not to say it wouldn't be exciting or successful it's just not what we do.

Great hunting with great hunters,
Kyler

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for contacting me Kyler. I'd be looking for a trophy hog and would be shooting my .338 win mag. Will keep you posted.

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
Here are two really big California pigs:

Ugly beasties, aren't they? Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, don't recognize the sow. Who TF is she?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Jeese George, the hog on the right's got to go 500 lbs or so! Do you thing they're corn fed?

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
im thinking more crispy cream donuts.......corn theyed be leaner

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You're probably right 700 nitro!!!!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the one on the right was a Michigan hog, not a Caifornia pig?

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I think you are right, that is a Michigan Hog -- looks farm raised to me though.

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
475Guy,

That's Roseanne Barr.

As for Moore, my understanding is he spends most of his time in CA, so you can consider him an 'introduced species'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lord have mercy, exactly what we need are more East Coast types here. Bad part of "introduced species" is that they never leave, ever.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Lord have mercy, exactly what we need are more East Coast types here. Bad part of "introduced species" is that they never leave, ever.

Moore is from Michigan, not the East Coast, and Roseanne is from Salt Lake City, Utah.

Since shit flows down hill, Roseanne rightly ended up in California; however, Moore should have rolled into Lake Huron, and on into the St. Lawrence River. He would then have been carried out to sea, floating westward like the turd he is, landing ultimately in France, where he belongs. jump

George