Find
Notify
Tools

I drew a hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
I applied for a public hog hunt in Jefferson county here in Texas and was drawn. Only thing: means allowed include archery or shotgun slug or buck shot. I have only used center fire rifle when hunting. Anyone have any experience or advice for this type of thing?

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No experience -- yet -- but I would consider one of the scoped H&R/NEF single-shot rifled slug guns; with today's slugs, a 20 would be more than adequate, I would bet.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the typical "range" is for the hunt. I have to believe that if it is for a buck shot or shotgun slug only hunt, then I am sure it will be at close range....? I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum shotgun (12 gauge) which can use 2 3/4" or 3" shells. I have done some research and also looked at the williams fiber optic sights. The gun is not drilled and tapped for a pica-tinny rail mount or Williams sights. However, I think I may have found a cheap fix for a mount. HERE

A lot of reviews online say that buck shot is good for a full choke, and a slug requires an improved cylinder. This hunt has extended hours until 10PM. Consequently, I am leaning toward scoping it with a vortex Strike Eagle with a red dot and carry my green lumen-shooter with me in the process...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ram,
I have used a couple of those style mounts (not the same make though). They work fairly well but the scope sits quite high. I have a Red Dot mounted on my Rem. M870.
You might want to consider an add on cheek piece of some type.

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slugs and buckshot well both work depending on the range.

But why a drawing for hogs,

Is it in a park or something.

I thought they were a huge problem.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Hip, thanks for the info. I think I am going to use #4 buck shot with an improved cylinder (possibly a modified). Just use the beaded front sight that I have, since the gun has a vented rib on it.

Dog shooter- yes they are a problem down here. But down here in Texas you need to have a lease to hunt on, or know someone who has property of their own in order to let you hunt them. We don't really have public land down here like you guys do up north. I submitted for a public hunt through the Texas Parks and Wildlife. If you draw, you purchase a permit to hunt on "Privately owned land" by the state.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hip, thanks for the info. I think I am going to use #4 buck shot with an improved cylinder

I seen and shot thousands of rounds of buck.

I seen a lot of critters shot with buck.

No. 4 buck really lacks penetration. Case in point I skinned a small 20lb bobcat shot at 35 yards with copper plated no.4 buck. Most of the pellets that hit it were found under the skin on the far side.

Use 3 inch mag 00 and at least a full choke. I use my turkey choke for coyotes and 00.

For larger hogs I would keep the range under 30 yards.

Buck really does lack penetration.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
00 buck is basically a swarm of .380s being fired in a suggested direction, at any distance past 40 yards ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a rifled barrel for my 870 Wingmaster Magnum some time ago. It has a ventilated rib on which I placed a set of Tru-Glow sights.

At my 74 years of age, I can still hold a 6-8 inch group at 100 yards with 3 inch slugs.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 945 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ram Rod:
Hip, thanks for the info. I think I am going to use #4 buck shot with an improved cylinder (possibly a modified). Just use the beaded front sight that I have, since the gun has a vented rib on it.

Dog shooter- yes they are a problem down here. But down here in Texas you need to have a lease to hunt on, or know someone who has property of their own in order to let you hunt them. We don't really have public land down here like you guys do up north. I submitted for a public hunt through the Texas Parks and Wildlife. If you draw, you purchase a permit to hunt on "Privately owned land" by the state.

Do yourself a favor and forget the #4 buckshot. Get yourself some of the copper plated shot in #1 or larger . They work wonders .

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A hog draw ? Id think you could find some rancher who would let you hunt hogs just to help get rid of them..and yes Im a native son of a Texas ranching family lost in Idaho, but hunt whitetails, Mule deer, coues deer in Texas from time to time.and shoot an ocassional hog or Javalina..Permission might come in another county from you..trade work for hog shooting has been known to work.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41854 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread got me interested in slug shooting. I found the impressive video on improving accuracy on smoothbore shotgun barrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWKjhWyxpw

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 945 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd give more consideration to the clothing you will be wearing than the gun. Blaze orange as much as possible. Several years ago, on a hunt here on public land, a guy was in full camo and was with his son. He stepped out and another hunter thought he was a turkey and took his head off with a shotgun. Blaze orange gloves really show up, watch someone wearing them and it's amazing how much a persons hands move.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several years ago, on a hunt here on public land, a guy was in full camo and was with his son. He stepped out and another hunter thought he was a turkey and took his head off with a shotgun.

That is very sad!! I remember hearing a similar story like that that happened in hill country. Word was: a father instructed his son to get down from the stand and make a circle back around to push deer in his direction. Long story short: the father shot at something that he saw moving in his direction, only to take his son's life.

I have been doing this long enough to know that BLAZE ORANGE IS THE WAY TO GO DURING A PUBLIC HUNT. I greatly appreciate the info Carpetman...

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A hog draw ? Id think you could find some rancher who would let you hunt hogs just to help get rid of them.
that may be true, but with a busted shoulder and after two back surgeries my days have wanting to exert physical labor on a "volunteer basis" have come and gone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son drew a deer tag in Colorado where he has to use a shotgun. He bought a Savage slug gun that I think is based on their Model 10 rifle. I think the price was about $400. It shoots about 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. That should be plenty good for feral hogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
My son drew a deer tag in Colorado where he has to use a shotgun. He bought a Savage slug gun that I think is based on their Model 10 rifle. I think the price was about $400. It shoots about 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. That should be plenty good for feral hogs.

Where in CO is this? I wasn’t aware we had any shotgun only areas.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1053 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be my Benelli M1 Super 90.

I have fired several thousand slugs with the Full Choke tube in place. And more than that of 00 Buck.

My first choice for slugs would be the old Fiocchi 1-1/4 oz flat nosed slugs and the IIRC 4 dram charge. Slugs were fairly hard and I have shit them through deer and hogs including long quartering shots. Recoil can best be described as “perky”.

If you can’t find any of those online I would go with the Brenneke slugs. They have been accurate in any gun I have tried them in and they hit hard.

For buckshot I would be using 00 or 000 hardened shit and copper plates if I could find it.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1053 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote