Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy Req. for hogs
 Login/Join

posted
just curious what everyones accuracy requirements are for hogs? Let's say 50yds or less behind dogs?
I did a search but came up empty

Posts: 20 | Location: Warsaw, IN | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harley,
If you're within 50 yds. behind dogs, you'd be too busy pulling the dogs off of the hog. I'd stick it in the pig's ear before firing, especially knowing the value of a good dog. That's why most hunters use knives with dogs.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some of the guys I work with have been to TN and shot them behind dogs with their 44s

Posts: 20 | Location: Warsaw, IN | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally I would say about the same as for whitetail deer or similar sized game, but hunting with hounds changes the game. I would want as pin-point accuracy as I could get hunting with hounds. A good friend of the family who is a State Trapper hunts hogs regularly with hounds and did so for years with a large knife and a 22 mag ruger single six. At the insistence of his friends and family for his safety he started carrying his 30-30. The next hog his hounds bayed up he shot the hog with the 30-30, and shot the foot off one of his best hounds. He sadly packed the hound back home and returned to using his 22 mag. Hope that helps.
Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harley, Id have to agree with Geoff and Eterry on this one personally im a knife fan for the hogs and dogs scene been doing it all my life but if you insist on shooting the hog get as close as possible its tricky to shoot an animal with dogs running all around it, pinpoint accuracy and above all else dont shoot unless you are 150% positive the dogs are out of harms way. Ive seen it done before mostly with the bay dogs that the guides call off/back before the hunter takes the shot so it can be done. And im sure that if your guide is worth his salt he wont tell you to shoot until his dogs are out of the way. Good luck on your hunt and be safe!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harley45:

Unlike what the two guys above said, I'm flat telling you that you should use a pistol or a knife or at least stick the rifle in the hogs ear or behind his shoulder before you shoot. It ain't how accurate the gun is with hogs and dogs, but how accurate the shooter is. You may be an exception, but most guys when they're running behind dogs, or even riding on 4 wheelers, get excited and couldn't hit a refrigerator at 50 yards without a rest. Sometimes a rest and the hog don't cooperate.

As far as "normal" accuracy for hogs goes, anything like a Marlin lever rifle (which means 2 MOA or less) or better will work, unless you're into long range hog shooting. Key to hog killing with a rifle without dogs, ain't the accuracy, it is the scope, that is, how well it works in very dim light.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gatogordo- what is it about what I said you dont agree with? Id NEVER do it but if thats what hes going to do then thats what hes going to do regardless of what anyone says I just was trying to reiterate the dogs safety is paramount. As far as sticking the gun in the hogs ear well if youre that close just stick him ALOT safer as you'll prolly have dogs holding the opposite ear and ive actually seen dogs killed this way due to overpenetration and the shooter not being mindful of the dogs.

I personally either stick them or hog tie them live. I do agree that the excitement and conditioning comes into play big time in this situation as a miss could cause a dogs death.

Harley- Is this a guided hunt?

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
let me try to answer this...

if no dogs, if me and the rifle can shoot 4-5 off hand, under pressure, with my blood up (and it's ALWAYS up around hogs) then it'll hunt...

with dogs, i have my 45 lc in the small of my back... 2 rat shot and 3 jacketed bullets, but that aint for hogs....

a 10" stek damascus is for hogs under dogs

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote