Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Posted for Butch

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38532 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are pics from our property on the Salt Fork of the Brazos, just west and south of Rule, Texas
in Hask
ell county. We have plans for them someday, but it is deer and turkey time.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Keep me in mind, please 2020

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a view down one of the senderos on our lease in S. Tx.

And, yes, I was sitting in the blind with my 7 mag. The two deer at the far end were a spike and a baby 8-pt. (Mike D--does this look familiar?)

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch

Nice crop of hogs you are raising there.

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Talk about target rich environments! Pretty cool guys - hope you get to blast some soon. All these pictures make me want to plan my TX pig trip early. How's the hunting in January? Big Grin

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Desert Ram--the worst I've ever seen the hog hunting on our place was great. Smiler

On our place, we limit the hog hunting safaris by non-partners to after the deer season, meaning late Feb and March. After that it heats up so much it isn't fun sitting in a blind in 90 degree temps. Plus, it becomes imperative that you get the animal field dressed, skinned, quartered and on ice soonest. We do have a walk-in but Murphy runs it and we can't keep freon in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We aren't hog killing professionals. We shoot one from each blind and the rest scatter. With a lot of hunting pressure they go nocturnal. As Dustoffer says, they are mainly for off season.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, no use blasting away at piggies when you're trying to get on the deer. I generally hunt a smaller place whose owner has access to deer elsewhere and doesn't do much on his own place. I've actually been batting around a hunt in January, just 'cuz.

I like to hunt pigs any time. When it's hot I just hunt more at night (I love sneaking up on pigs in the dark), so I'll hunt them in the summer too if I can get ready access to a cooler. Like you say, that makes it or breaks it. The guy I hunt with has a fairly reliable walk-in. If the temps are over about 80 though you have to check it every couple hours and kick it back on every once in a while. Works for me though.

The best pig is a dead pig. And I do love that wild pork.

Give 'em hell when you get done chasing deer. Big Grin

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch--yours may go nocturnal at the first shot, but ours don't. I was in the blind tonight where I shot one a week ago, and they'rrre baaaack!! Passed on the pigs since it's deer season though.

Desert Ram--lots of fun to scatter corn on the ranch roads, and then put a red light on the rifle and go sneaking the roads. Only problem I have is it's hard to concentrate on pigs for watching out for rattlers. The corn brings the rats and mice, and that brings the rattlers.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Those pitures makes me want to break this out.

Loaded with my canister load, 6 dozen .50" RB BOOM

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer--that load would just about clean up the sendero in that pic I posted above--but then we'd have lots of guttin' 'n skinnin' to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hog killer, I cast bullets for a lot of friends, but with all due respect, you are on your own... I couldn't keep up, with you shooting six dozen projectiles at a time!

Man, I would love to see that thing at work...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
dustoffer, would have to be a very cool day to get them all cleaned. That or find a lot of hungery peolpe willing to do some work for lots of good eating.

Doubless, I normally shoot solids that I cast, 1 lb 12 oz each. A big hand full of buck shot (equal wt.) will also work. I do not waste .50 RBs just for grins.

Hog Killer

Here is three consecutive shots at 200yds.

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i keep telling keith we just need a couple yards of 1/2 lead wire and some bolt cutters!

Allen,
you aint shooting up all my pigs are you?

BOOM

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38532 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Yes it looks like brown bear practice in feb/mar

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

Hog Killer

Keith:

You will never go hungry again....

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
dustoffer, that's my kind of hunting. I get a kick out of creeping up on them in the dark. I've been lucky enough to only come across one rattler in about a dozen trips to the Hill Country. Sounds like you have more around there than the area I hunt. Just get done with that deer hunting and move on to hog elimination. Based on what I read elswhere, you'd be doing lots of folks a favor by reducing the population.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:

Hog Killer

Keith:

Haven't yet. Last 4-5 years, 90% of the meat on my table has been pigs and does, eerr deer. Plus on small eland. clap

Hog Killer

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:

Hog Killer

Keith:

Haven't yet. Last 4-5 years, 90% of the meat on my table has been pigs and does, eerr deer. Plus one small eland. clap

Hog Killer

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
butchlambert: These are pics from our property on the Salt Fork of the Brazos, just west and south of Rule, Texas in Haskell county.

Butch, my mother was born on a farm about a mile from the intersection of the Brazos and 380. The Lees were her people, most are probably gone now. There are some wild tales of that part of Texas in the early days.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
We are 1 mile south of town and about 1 mile west. This is cotton country. We have to drive through the old city dump and through another farmers property to get to ours. We are isolated and pretty well hidden from the populus[sp]. We haven't found a way to get to the river even though we have 1 mile of frontage. Maybe we can afford some dozer work next year. There is a lot of activity by the river.
I was cussing my Cuddebak camera until I put it at the feeder. I got 375 photos in 2 weeks. Not very many does, just a lot of young bucks for the most part, turkey, coyote, raccoon, and bobcats. I am leaving Friday morning to go back.
Opening weekend was for my 13 yr. old Grandson and he past on a nice 8 point that I would have taken in a second. He said, Papaw, I've seen bigger on TV, I think I will wait for another one. I don't have that kind of discipline.
Butch

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yep, I helped pick cotton when I visited my great uncle in the early 1950s. Shot my first rabbit there too. Tough resilient people, the kind that made this country.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote