KILLED 10 OPENING WEEKEND OF DEER SEASON

SHOT THROUGH THE EYE

TUSKER OVER 230 LBS THATS ALL MY SCALE WILL WEIGH

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sonds like you are making a dent. Can you stay on them after the season? Sometimes it is hard to focus while deer hunting, although you have done some good work so far.

You definitely have to work hard to stay ahead of them (or keep from falling too far behind).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Need some help with those?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38659 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Need some help with those?

Have Gun Will Travel Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
jeffe you have an open invite as you well know .

Let me get some of this deer hunting out of the way and I will gladly take some of you fellas for a pig hunt.

I had one group of 20 under a feeder at once all about 50 to 80 lbs benelli r1 in 300 will scater them out pretty well. hunting them under lights at night too have one feeder that stinks like a feed lot under it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
knock the deer down, let me get through THIS year, and january looks like piggie killin..

you want to come down for the plywood pachyderm shoot

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait-a-second.....Wait-a-second........
This particular unknown huperventilating immediately-pre-geriatric bearer (aka "undersigned") of an untested-but-enthusiastic S/S 9.3x74R would (1) do his unmatched bird calls/accurate representations of the archeopterix love song, (2) pinpoint definitive geographic data of fishing perfection (smallmouth and northern pike) 1.5 hours drive NE of Winnipeg, Canada (forget the fly-in nonsense), (3) provide the recipe for the ULTIMATE, crotch-hydratingly delicious BBQ sauce ..... invented during a religious experience while consuming 13 bottles of Steinlager Green in a volcanic hot-tub in Rotorua, New Zealand.........should an invitation be forthcoming....in the context of reducing the apparently overwhelming/annoying population of porkers.
Undersigned
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh....e-mail me.....e-mail me.....e-mail me !!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
conifer where are you located

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
They sure are pest to land owners. Mad They also multiply faster than rabbits.

Hog Kiler

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Conifer" (that would be me) is in Gainesville, Florida.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to be included in the invite. My 375H&H needs some hog blood. There ain't no hogs, thank God, on my lease.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I got em bad too.

Although half the time I just gut shoot em, don't want to bother dragging them off if I drop em-thay ain't worth my time/energy. Fucking bastards!

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of us in TX that would jump at the opportunity to get rid of some pigs...

Sad statement of fact is this: they have only one natural enemy: man. A gator may get one now and then, but that is not nearly enough pressure to keep the numbers down.

And they are never going to be controlled by hog cholera because they are never penned up, they run wild... The females are breeding by six months, and have 2-1/2 litters a year. They get trap smart pretty quickly. Put a bit of gun pressure on them they go completely nocturnal, and they will readily travel several miles in a day or night's time to find food. They are rapidly becoming a menace on the highways down here now, and they are wreaking havoc on grain fields, hay meadows, newborn calves, sheep and goats, and anything and everything else they find. They are totally omnivorous, and will eat ground bird eggs, carrion, you name it. They are also the reason the once very plentiful marsh rabbit (commonly called swamp rabbit) is now very uncommonly seen... I routinely travel the same highway daily to and from work, and I am seeing rootings on the sides of the highways now, less than half a mile from $300-$400,000 homes that are having their front yards rooted up from pigs chasing june bug larvae (grub worms).

I love wild pork, but am of the opinion feral pigs are as big a blight on the land as kudzu vine, tallow trees or fire ants...

And finally, there are "not so brights" that are consciously trapping them, transporting and releasing them into areas that do not have them already!!!

Wonder if we could figure out how to get a program started for the poor; there has to be a way to get feral pork processed for feeding those less fortunate than we all are... I think that is how Hunters for the Hungry got started, wasn't it? There are no limits and no closed seasons on pigs. What do you guys think?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
(Luckily) I don't have them on my place here in (Brown county) Texas. I don't want them on my place either. I do, however, love to hunt anything... especially if it is as tasty as wild hog.

I'd like to be able to shoot them with my bow on a consistent basis to eat, and if you twisted my arm, I might be convinced to try and lead-poison as many as I could to help a landowner out.

Trouble around here is that people that have the hogs either want me to PAY to shoot them Eeker thumbdown Or they have done a poor job hunting them and all you can find is the damage they leave. (educated, nocturnal hogs are hard to hunt with a bow - or a gun for that matter)

North of Abilene, they trap the hogs and sell them to a processor. The story I heard is that they are slaughtered and the meat shipped overseas for $$. All I know is I saw a pen full of the critters and trucks pick that many up several times a week.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
I got em bad too.

Although half the time I just gut shoot em, don't want to bother dragging them off if I drop em-thay ain't worth my time/energy.

do you need a hand with those?

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Anyone care to host a DRSS weekend hunt?

We'll pay for lodging and food; just give us permission to hunt on your land with expensive rifles.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sad statement of fact is this: they have only one natural enemy: man.

Actually, man is sometimes more help to their proliferation than hinderance: Everybody wants to shoot the biggest, meanest boar they can find. I'm told that it is the big boars that are the harshest predators on the young -- they cannibalize them. So, when you shoot the big old boars, many more of the young live to a viable age. Just one of the ironies of hogs, and it helps to explain why they seem to be getting thicker and thicker the more of them we try to shoot!

Despite the drouthy year, we're getting more hog pictures than ever on our game cams (this is in the Rolling Plains of West Texas.)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our 6 o'clock news tonight[network] did a piece on Texas feral hogs. The Texas Parks and Wildlife biologist says you either have them or you will soon have them. They said that they are worse than fireants. The road to my house has dead ones that cars have hit all the time. We haven't decided what we are going to do on our hunting property yet. We have had a strict rule on nonfamily hunting on it, but we may have to change our minds. We are just over run with them.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To feed the poor..noble thought...they are all over. I go down to Momma and Daddys place a couple of times a year and I just kill and bulldoze them under. Daddy is 80 y.o. My brothers go down the times I am not there. In point of fact, one of my brothers is there now. They are bad news, but they do keep the coyotes down or so it seems. But they kill everyting else too. The analogy with fireants seems appropriate.

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hate to jump in or sound like a broken record, but I'll happily "volunteer" to help out with pig problems. I don't even shoot feeders or tear up the country in my jacked up four wheel drive. Big Grin

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
seems to be lots of intrest in this hunt. I think i can make this happen for some of you.

keep me informed on who wants to go and where you are. as for schedule in jan and logistics.
no large groups please

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definately interested. Have three big revolvers that need to draw blood. Could get down there from Rapid City, SD with little problem. Never shot a pig, helped butcher a couple as a kid. As I remember the neighbor put a .22 up against the head and instant pork chops. Disassembly required.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crusher,

I can likely find my way down there from SW Idaho, made it to Austin several years back. Perhaps we could add live pig testing to the shootout between 500gr and Jeffe...?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to be included but I'll willingly give up my spot for some of these "Northern" Big Grin guys if they come down here. I'm in San Antonio.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I would certainly be interested, so I sent CRUSHER a PM.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Eager to join you and I may be in Texas in
January for the Dallas SC show. I am in Arizona. cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crusher, you have a PM...

Regards,

Doubless

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember hunting them with dogs in the early 90's with dogs and leaving them lay. too hot to butcher them! always more in the winter in the trap that were shot with 22 and not bloodshot like dog/knife killed pigs.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crusher

Ever shot a Double Rifle?
You could probably get some of the Double Rifle Shooters Society fellas here in TX and other States as well to help you out.

We are always looking for a place to do a little hunting/shooting/cooking/socializing.

What part of Texas are these pigs in?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
yeah billinthewild you will only be about 700 miles from uvalded texas when your in dallas

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big part of wiping them out -- we did it succesfully on our place -- is get your neighbors together and agree to let free roam across your properties while shooting, kill EVERY pig you see -- piglets, sows, every last one, WHEN EVER you see one. That, and plenty of highschool boys in jeeps and spotlights got rid of ours after about 4 years.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
yeah billinthewild you will only be about 700 miles from uvalded texas when your in dallas

About 1/2 that distance is more like it.
This sounds like a fun hog shoot may happen.

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Crusher saying "help me kill hogs" is like a cute <female> blonde 18 yr old saying "Wow I can't believe I'm this drunk and horny!" at a college party.

I bet he is covered up in PMs by now. lol

My opinion is my own and it can't be wrong because it is my opinion Wink . Here it is:

Crusher will make plenty of friends, have a few really good hunts/social events, and maybe get rid of a few hogs. BUT -- A local hunter that is consistent and dedicated will be better at reducing his hog population.

So Crusher, (again... my opinion... see above) if you really want to get rid of your hogs -- get someone local to eradicate them (I'm not local BTW). If you want to have a bunch of new friends bring you beer and carry you around on their shoulders... load us up! dancing

In either case, I hope you end up thinking you did the right thing!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Big Ed is probably right. I hate to say that, cuz I'm one of the PMers volunteering to help with the pig problem. Consistent pressure will have a solid impact I'm sure. However, in absence of consistent moderate pressure, hopefully some inconsistent significant pressure can also help a little. Some of us, even though we're not local, wouldn't mind burning a few dead dinosaurs several times a year to kill off some pigs. I go to Texas twice a year to shoot pigs anyway, why not do it somewhere that it'll have in impact?

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
not realy trying to eradicate them I hunt them year round and it keeps me in fine rifle practice but they are getting ahead of me right now. so like you say i could use some new friends and I want to be an ambasador of my sport. never been one to do things the easy way. I could kill every one without fireing a shot but wheres the fun in that

plus now im on the hook to make this happen cause I said I would

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
walker I know its not that far but it seems for f-ing ever to drive it

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
walker I know its not that far but it seems for f-ing ever to drive it

Know what you mean. I'd rather yank my fingernails out than drive that damn IH35

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crusher, if this hunt comes together I'd be glad to pick up anyone who flies in at the San Antonio Airport.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That, and plenty of highschool boys in jeeps and spotlights got rid of ours after about 4 years.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Wink

Just hunted for the first time this season on our deer lease on the Texas Rolling Plains. One partner shot a hog on Saturday evening. The next morning (fairly late, not at dawn), I had a couple of hogs come onto the wheatfield I was watching and shot one. Almost immediately on the next door property I heard shots, followed by anguished squeals. Thirty minutes later another hunting partner shot a wounded hog coming off of the neighboring property.

This a lease we've hunted for more than twenty years and never saw a hog until just about eight years ago. Now they seem to be bubbling up out of the ground. I doubt that our opportunistic shooting can even start to suppress the population.

The only "leveling" device is disease, such as cholera, which is certain to get a start as population densities reach "critical mass".

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
I got my buck last weekend....frees me up to kill a few pigs if help is needed.
HAVE .340 WILL TRAVEL

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote