THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    6.5x55 & 30/06 at 200yd: any real difference on hogs?

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 & 30/06 at 200yd: any real difference on hogs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those ardent hog hunters who have done it all, have you notice much difference in effectiveness on hogs between 6.5x55 and 30/06 with decent weight in each?(ie; 140@2700 and 180@2700), at ranges 200yd(+)?

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that I have "done it all" yet, but I think that either one of the cartridges you have listed will work just fine, if you hit them right.

I'd probably go with the 30-06 though, myself.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I own both and shoot both of the bullet weights you ask about although have not killed but one hog and that was with an '06. I would have no reservations on using either on hogs at that distance but I think personnaly that 30/06 is overkill for 90% of the hogs shot and the 6.5 would be about perfect.
Just my opinion..............

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Woodjack, although I own neither of those weapons, I do shoot a .257 Roberts and a .270 win. Both weapons will do the job of eliminating a pest you refered to as a hog. I have taken the scourge of our great state of Texas out past 200 yards with a 100grn .257 and 130 grn .270. the pests on the recieving of of both projectiles din't really care what caliber it was that eliminated them from the face of our great state. I would say that either weapon would be a fine choice, I usally take both to a stand, if hunting stands, and wait to see what presents itself. If I am still hunting the .257 is the gun of choice.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
While I haven't used a 6.5x55 on hogs, I have used an '06 and it might just be the perfect cartridge for hogs......overkill? Perhaps on the smaller pigs, but I prefer heavier bullets on the bigger ones. Do your part, and either caliber will get it done.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
either or no real diff inside 200 223 kills them deader than fried chicken so up to you 6.5 is the cool eurotrash round of the day so go for it

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 is the best pig killer ever invented, the 30-06 might be the 2nd best

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
for hoggs the bigger the diameter the better. i love the 6.5 but hogs and the 45-70 is a match made in hog heaven

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I agree with boomy! I like big diamter bullets as well -- .45 caliber in particular, but not the .45-70 -- the .458 Lott! Got these two with one (the jacket of the bullet actually killed hog number 2!) 500 grain Hawk Deadsoft!

Before I catch flack, no, you don't need an elephant gun to kill hogs, but it sure is fun! Puts 'em down real hard!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the a 260 Rem with 140 gr. Sierra GameKings at 2740 fps and a 308 with 165 gr. Sierra HPBT GameKings at 2750 fps on hogs and I can't tell any difference. Both of them cleanly killed hogs to a little over 200#'s with complete penetration. I once killed two with one shot myself with the 260 at 141 steps accross a green field in south Alabama. The bullet completely pentrated both hogs boiler room. The both weighed just over 90 lbs field dressed. Since the 260 is the lighter rifle of the two, I seem to grab the 260 more often as I get older. Use which ever one you feel like using, neither will let you down.

PaPa 260

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the April issue of Handloader Magazine, John Barsness wrote an extensive article on the 7 x 57 Mauser. Relating to expansion and penetration of bullets, he stated that he had been doing a lot of testing with The Test Tube medium and found that:

"You would be surprised (and possibly depressed) about how little difference there is between the wound channel of, say, a premium 140-grain bullet shot from a 6.5 x 55 "Swedish Mauser" and that of a 200-grain .300 magnum. The truth is that any deep-penetrating bullet from 6.5 and up makes a wound channel plenty long and wide enough to kill even the largest non-dangerous game animal within a short time. It just has to be put in the right place."

Rusty

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of hogs with both of those calibers along with several others. You will not be able to tell the difference between the 6.5x55 and 30/06 in killing power on hogs. The only difference is the 6.5x55 kicks a hell of allot less and is more fun to shoot. My father lined up and killed two hogs with one shot on two different occasions this past fall with his 6.5x55 with 140 grain bullets. Hogs don't take much killing anyway.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Basically we all agree that you should use whatever you're most proficient with......

Semper Fidelis