Find
Notify
Tools

Night vision scope for hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I have a friend in Texas that is looking for a relatively inexpensive night vision scope for hog hunting ... that is, something in the second generation in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

The lease he hunts has too many pigs and the owner would be happy with diminished numbers.

Any experience with things like this among the readers here?

Sure would appreciate some input!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Talk to Rattlesnaker. He is doing this but I understand he has a higher-dollar scope. He has posted reports here about it.

Here is one thread.

Another.

One more.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is using a D760 third generation scope ... about $3500. A bit more than my buddy can afford.

Nice, but heavy too ... 12 pounds.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Look for a used ITT 6015.New ones can be had for under $3k.It can be rigged behind other optical sights.Here is a link to ITT.

http://www.ittnv.com/products/law/product_detail.asp?product_ID=34

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
He is using a D760 third generation scope ... about $3500. A bit more than my buddy can afford.

Nice, but heavy too ... 12 pounds.

The weight really isn't that big of a deal. I actually like the added weight because it reduces the recoil, which can be awkward when your eye is pressed up against the rubber eyepiece.

Let me know if you want any information about the D760. Baboon seems to be the most knowledgable poster on here re: night vision in general.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
This may seem like a really stupid question, but I am asking anyway. How exactly do you sight in a "night" scope? I am really wanting one for hog hunting on my place but have no idea how they work. Can you see thru them in the daylight? From suggestions here, I am looking toward the D-760 2nd generation.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
This may seem like a really stupid question, but I am asking anyway. How exactly do you sight in a "night" scope? I am really wanting one for hog hunting on my place but have no idea how they work. Can you see thru them in the daylight? From suggestions here, I am looking toward the D-760 2nd generation.

Most all of them have training/daylight covers/filters.Some can be used with an existing optic sights.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote