New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Night's Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Killed this hog last night with my D760 night vision scope mounted on my new 700 VS 308. First time to take the rifle out hunting and I shot this hog out in the middle of an oat field at about 75 - 100 yards. We spotted about 5 hogs out in the field and circled around them to gain the wind on them.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
did you shoot thatt top one through the eye?

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good work.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold:
did you shoot thatt top one through the eye?

It went through his shoulder and out his jaw so it busted his face up pretty good.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
It went through his shoulder and out his jaw so it busted his face up pretty good.

I'd say that .308 is giving you pretty good penetration.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Good mother of God, are those size pigs expected or a fluke? I was expecting that most pigs were not all that large but maybe I should anticipate more. That bottom picture hog has one nice set of teeth. Are the .308 rounds factory or are you reloading them yet?

Good job on the hogs man.

P.s. I like the pictures with your dad in them. He seems like quite a rugged guy with a serious look to him... But most guys who carry a .357 on their hip are serious! You're lucky to have him hunt with you so much, not all of us have that privledge.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for clarification...it is the same hog in both pictures. We both took pictures with the hog.

NBHunter - Most pigs probably aren't this large. You never really know what you are going to get into. When we first glassed the field with the night vision, we saw about 5 hogs out there. This one just happened to be the closest once we circled around them and got downwind of them. I guess we just got lucky because size is difficult to determine with the night vision. I would say that it is a little easier to shoot a bigger boar hog with the night vision versus other methods of hunting because you can pick out lone boars roaming through a field. These tend to be the older boars when they are by themselves and usually they are the bigger ones. Also, you sometimes pick one out of a herd if you can tell it's a boar. For instance, during a hunt a couple of weeks ago I picked out the hog to shoot that kept trying to mount the others, correctly assuming that he was a boar.

These are just cheap winchester factory rounds. I haven't had a chance to work up any loads on the new 308 yet. I bought some 150 gr triple shocks to work on but I just haven't had any free time to put any together.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Nice ... really nice !! Wink

Congrats ! beer

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Again, great work Rattelsnaker! The cutters on that hog are incredible. Make one hell of a mount!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
How much did your night scope cost? I have a friend that realy wants to go hog hunting, but what I have read is they are mostly nocturnal(sp).

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope runs about $3,500.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
The scope runs about $3,500.

Man, you're one dedicated pig whacker! That's a fine hog though. I'm a fan of night hunting too, but I'm too cheap for the night vision, I just schedule my hunts for the full moon and hope there's no heavy cloud cover.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote