New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pig Picture from Last night
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shot this hog with the 308 at about 60 yards with a stiff north breeze blowing into my face. He ran about 15 yards and them dropped.

We shot another one at about 100 yards and hit her just in front of the eye on the first shot. She took off and started running in circles. After her 4th circle she stopped and he shot her again, apparently low and through the brisket. She then took off running away from us. The third shot was at about 200 yards and it hit her low and in the belly. She still wouldn't go down. The fourth shot was about 3 inches behind the shoulder and it went through her heart and dropped her.

I counted 86 hogs in the group that we shot the sow out of. The boar was killed off by himself in a different field.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
An Insight Technolgy AN/PAQ-4 would really make those longer shots much easier.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that an Infrared laser? Those are illegal in the US, right? I'd love to try one of those out.

Do you have any NVD's? You seem to know a lot about them.

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Infrared lazers are not illegal in the U.S..There are a very limited amount in private hands.I had a PVS-7B that a friend of mine used more then I did so he bought it from me.He has gone on to buy a bunch more stuff as he is in a higher income bracket then myself.He's got a PAQ-4 great toy!
Here is a link for one thats for sale.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=154059

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info and the link. you think 800 is a fair price for one of these? you've really piqued my intereste in one of these.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rattlesnaker: I shot this hog with the 308 at about 60 yards with a stiff north breeze blowing into my face.

I bet it was a stiff breeze! I had to leave my place the wind and cold was so brutal.

Nice boar, your place is really over-run.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
thanks for the info and the link. you think 800 is a fair price for one of these? you've really piqued my intereste in one of these.

I have seen them from $600.00 up to $2,400.00.Think my buddy paid $1,800.00 three years ago and it was brand new.I see them from time to time on Sturmgewehr.You could really benefit from a good infrared flood light.SureFire makes some great stuff.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/134/prrfnbr/24222

I'm not sure if B.E.Meyers will sell the stuff.Thats who I bought my PVS-7B from years ago.I was hot for an Izlid at that time.

http://www.bemeyers.com/subcats.asp?catid=2&subcatid=8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker can you tell me more about the type of scope and gun you haven and what uses that scope has over nomral ones ?

Thanks PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pc - the rifle is a m700 vs 308 that I bought solely for use with the scope. I wanted something that was heavy with light recoil because you have to put your eye up against a rubber eyepiece to see through the scope. The scope is a gen iii night vision scope that I use exclusively for shhoting hogs at night. With a little moonlight you can see 400 yards fairly easily to distinguish a hog from a deer, coyote, etc. I hunt large fields mainly, where you can see them from a good distance and then walk up to within 100 yards and shoot them.

Hunting like this is really new for me since I've mainly hunted them with dogs or spotlight before. This time of year we don't hunt with dogs because of all the deer hunting so it provides a fun new way of hunting. Its interesting that you can get very close to hogs at night like this but deer, with their much better vision will spot you from a long ways off.

I also have a night vision monocular that is hand held and allows you two people to hunt , one watching with the monocular while the other follows with the rifle until you're in range to shoot. Around here, game wardens and border patrol agents all carry this exact same device and that's how we got the idea to get one, when they hunted with us and brought them along to find hogs.

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
nice hog! thumb

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Nice big hogs ya got there. Must have been a bit chilly there, you look semi-Canadian in those pictures. How cold was it?

You must be really enjoying that night vision, you seem like your on quite a roll with it. Keep up the good work.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RS I would love to get one of those !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker, What did the bore weigh?.

Here is a couple of puny one I got last week.

Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 15 | Location: Orange,TX | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VH - not sure what he weighed because I didn't weigh him. Probably 225 lbs or so would be my guess.

I hunted again on Saturday night but things didn't turn out so well. I flat out missed the first hog at about 50 yards. I don't really even know what happened or how I missed him but I'm pretty sure that I did because he never made a sound and I couldn't find any blood. Then, a little while later I hit a second hog but didn't drop him and he ran off before I could shoot him again. I probably gut shot him would be my guess. I couldn't find him so I went home and went to bed.