THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Central California hog hunt, results, with pictures!

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Central California hog hunt, results, with pictures!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Hey Men,

Below are the results from our latest hog hunt here in central California. Due to the back surgery I had last month, my brother and buddies would not let me out of the cabin to participate. Nevertheless, they had good results: 4 pigs in about 6 hours, with the first 3 taken within about 15 minutes of each other at first light.

My brother (pictured below) took the best boar of the day with a single shot from a 7 Rem Mag (160 gr Barnes triple shock, not recovered). 80 paces, quartering away.

Another picture of my brother's hog.

All 4 pigs together. The top two were taken by a pair of new hunters using our loaner rifles (scoped, single shot 45-70s). The top hog (sow) took two shots to put down (distance about 25 yards, 45-70 325 gr “leverlution;†one bullet recovered – jacket and core had separated), while the second hog from top (a youthful blond boar) took a single cartridge to harvest (150 yards, 325 gr Hornady “leverlution;†bullet and plastic tip recovered). The third from the top is my brother’s pig (described above), and the young boar at the bottom took a couple shots from a 300 win Mag – using the term “couple shots†loosely (varying yardage, 150 gr TBBC, not recovered).

I forgot to get pictures of the bullets for you guys, but I’ll see what I can do about that. It has been two years since I have taken a hog myself, so once I get healed up, I plan to be back out there in the field. I hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
nice one,
whats wrong with that front pig, looks like its face is twisted???
good looking pigs tho.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greghud:
nice one,
whats wrong with that front pig, looks like its face is twisted???
good looking pigs tho.
greg

Good eye, GH. The finishing shot on that poor hog went through the right eye and exited out the lower belly. Also, you might notice that the hog is "listing" on his right side, as he lost his front right leg on the first shot. He was pretty tore up, to say the least.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Teat man. Where are you located? Name of your ranch? mgun

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
NIce pigs, Teat Hound! Thanks for posting! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Teat man. Where are you located? Name of your ranch? mgun

This hunt was arranged by my brother, and he selected a guide we have not used before, out of Lockwood, CA. Mr. Ed Roth, who is a friend of my brother's neighbor and conducted a very exciting hunt. In the past we have also utilized Mr. Kyler, out of Parkfield, CA, with great success too.

-eric

posted Hide Post
Very nice hogs! Used to live out that way north of King City in the town of Greenfield. I killed a lot of hogs when I lived there as well. I am planing a hunt next month on a buddies ranch. Thanks for sharing the pics , I cant wait till next month so I can do the same !!!

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good stuff!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Right on guys! Nice hogs, especially your brother's boar.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Here's another picture which gives a better perspective on the size of my brother's hog:

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that boy had a smell, didn't he?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a treat for some of you guys. I debated putting the following pictures up due to the anti-hunters and such, but I figure screw them. If I get too much flack, I’ll just take them down.

First, for the guys who claim that some boars are armor plated . . . In the picture below, you can see that my brother’s hog had some serious flanks on him, as illustrated by the way the hide is sticking out straight (90˚ from the body) during skinning. My buddies report that this “plate†was pretty hard, like solid cartilage. Nevertheless, this so-called “shield†failed to stop a quartering-away (i.e. flanking) shot on entrance or exit. I don’t want to hear any more about guys using 375s or 458s (or whatever) who've had their bullets fail to penetrate. stir

Now, for you 45-70 guys (Boomie, can I get a shout-out?), the picture below shows the entrance and exit wound made on a charging sow by a first time hunter. The entrance wound is actually the bigger hole at the top of the back. He was using one of our loaner rifles and a 325gr Hornady leverlution. The hunter put her down on the second shot when he crowned her with the single shot NEF handi-rifle. The wound to me is crazy big and I had to share it with you guys. I didn't expect such a large hole.

Thanks for any responses,

beer

-eric

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you for the pictures. Good data for us prospective hunters. Packy

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
clap

thanks for the posting of the pics...

the 45-70 and hogs is a match made in heaven.

impresive entry and exit holes shocker

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That leverevolution stuff look pretty damned soft. No excuse for a .458 bullet to blow up like that, ever.

I guess it's kind of the ballistic tip of the .45-70.

Not good for big stuff.

I just made up my mind on If I'll ever use it.

NOT..

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Of course you don't need the big stuff to hunt hogs with, but it sure is fun!

Three weeks ago, my brother-in-law shot a running sow in the back off of the buggy we were driving through the Florida palmeto with, and the 350 grain soft point punched a huge hole in the back and the hog actually flipped when it got hit. It was the strangest thing I have seen. I need to dig the photos of it up and post them here.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of ScopeBite
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents,
Thanks for the compliments on my boar. Thanks to my brother Teat Hound for posting and urging me to join AR. Now I have another hobby.

I would rather Boar Hunt for my Bacon!

Posts: 136 | Location: Bakersfield California | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Scopebite -- run away while you still can! LOL! It's more adictive than crack (not that I would know how adictive crack is!)! Big Grin dancing

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Some good looking hogs!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice pics beer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Scopebite -- run away while you still can! LOL! It's more adictive than crack (not that I would know how adictive crack is!)! Big Grin dancing

Whitworth, some cracks are more adictive than others! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
Well, I have a treat for some of you guys. I debated putting the following pictures up due to the anti-hunters and such, but I figure screw them. If I get too much flack, I’ll just take them down.

First, for the guys who claim that some boars are armor plated . . . In the picture below, you can see that my brother’s hog had some serious flanks on him, as illustrated by the way the hide is sticking out straight (90˚ from the body) during skinning. My buddies report that this “plate†was pretty hard, like solid cartilage. Nevertheless, this so-called “shield†failed to stop a quartering-away (i.e. flanking) shot on entrance or exit. I don’t want to hear any more about guys using 375s or 458s (or whatever) who've had their bullets fail to penetrate. stir

Now, for you 45-70 guys (Boomie, can I get a shout-out?), the picture below shows the entrance and exit wound made on a charging sow by a first time hunter. The entrance wound is actually the bigger hole at the top of the back. He was using one of our loaner rifles and a 325gr Hornady leverlution. The hunter put her down on the second shot when he crowned her with the single shot NEF handi-rifle. The wound to me is crazy big and I had to share it with you guys. I didn't expect such a large hole.

Thanks for any responses,

beer

My old 6.5X54 MS has gone right through both plates on a half dozen pigs. I get worried a lot og pig hunters really want to be African dangerous game hunters and are living the dream on these hogs. Just shoot them in the right spot! I do not recommend smaller than my 6.5, or one of the 25s, but I have family and friends that use either a 30-30 Win or a 30 Rem [Model 141s or Model 8s]. I have never seen a failure with 150 grain or 170 grain projectiles. In fact my Remington Model 8 30 remington penetrated both shoulders with the old 160 grain FMJ-RN prison loads.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
wow! killed that thread....good hunting on the boars buddy.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
wow! killed that thread....good hunting on the boars buddy.

LOL, I know the feeling.

So far the only failures I've seen on the few hog hunts I have been on are when the shooter misses, like I did with Kyler once (at ~30 yards Eeker still don't know what happened though - must have shot under it).

beer

-eric

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt congratulations .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Excellent hunt congratulations .Juan

Thanks!

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aloha ScopeBite and Teat Hound,

Great hunt and excellent pics! One day I need to make it over there to N.California...

ScopeBite I guess you're ready for your Big Island Hunt with Pat Fisher...Happy Anniversary and I wish you and your wife the Best of Times in the Islands and of course your hunting trip up in some beautiful country...

I booked him for Oct.28-29 so I guess you'll be gone by the time I arrive...Until another time, we'll catch up with each other for a BBQ or something!

Go gettem my friend!

Aloha,

Ro

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
So, Late-Bloomer, you're going again in about a month?! Excellent! We are expecting the requisite full report and pictures! thumb

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:

Great hunt and excellent pics! One day I need to make it over there to N.California...

ScopeBite I guess you're ready for your Big Island Hunt with Pat Fisher...Happy Anniversary and I wish you and your wife the Best of Times in the Islands and of course your hunting trip up in some beautiful country...

I booked him for Oct.28-29 so I guess you'll be gone by the time I arrive...Until another time, we'll catch up with each other for a BBQ or something!

Go gettem my friend!

Aloha,

Ro

Hi Late-bloomer,

Yep, Scopebite (my brother) will be over there with Pat in a week or two. I'll make sure he posts the results. I hope to take the family out your way next summer some time.

Good luck next month!

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teat Hound:
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:

Go gettem my friend!

Aloha,

Ro

Hi Late-bloomer,

Yep, Scopebite (my brother) will be over there with Pat in a week or two. I'll make sure he posts the results. I hope to take the family out your way next summer some time.

Good luck next month!

Teat Hound thanks and give me a call before you come down next summer maybe we can get the family together or something! Your brother has my info and cell#...

Aloha!

One of Us
Picture of ScopeBite
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer,
I really want to thank you for your advice on hunting with Pat and the well wishes to my wife and I. I have worked out an awesome day of hunting and ranch touring with him. It has been over 20 years since I have been there and after speaking with you I cant get there quick enough. I am looking forward to the hospitality, relaxation and wonders of the Big Island.
I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks again L-B. I will be in touch.

I would rather Boar Hunt for my Bacon!

Posts: 136 | Location: Bakersfield California | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScopeBite:
Late-Bloomer,
I really want to thank you for your advice on hunting with Pat and the well wishes to my wife and I. I have worked out an awesome day of hunting and ranch touring with him. It has been over 20 years since I have been there and after speaking with you I cant get there quick enough. I am looking forward to the hospitality, relaxation and wonders of the Big Island.
I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks again L-B. I will be in touch.

The day is geting close, brother . . .

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep,

Isn't it this week or like tomorrow or so...

Go gettem guy!!!!!!!!!

Aloha!