New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needs To Go
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This gal will be dropping a big litter of piglets soon if I don't get her tomorrow night--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Drop the sow yet? Hog hunters like myself got to know.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went out Tuesday and timing was perfect—as I moved thru the tree line into the bottom, I spotted a bunch of them across the fence to the west, but not the big girl. I have permission to hunt there but they were headed my way and winds were right so I just moved on a course to close with them. Got all set up and when they were about 65 yds out I triggered at the lead one—missed. Shot several more times but no hits-WTH??? Walked on back to the north scanning the brush hopefully to find a carcas but none seen. ‘When I got back into the pecan trees, spotted a couple of coyotes about 75 yds out. Got set up, and shot—miss. ‘Yotes ran about 50 yds and stopped and I shot again-hit this time, but in the lower foreleg. I was super frustrated at this point so I headed back to the truck and home. I have had this same issue several times in the past 6 months—go to the range, zero, go hunt and miss and back to the range. Figured the thermal was the issue as I had had no problems the first 3.5 yrs I have owned it.

So I decided to remove it from the AR and remount on my M70 as I know the M70 shoots right and if it wouldn’t hold zero on the M70, it had to be the scope and I have already made arrangements to return to mfr for repair. Well, wouldn’t you know it, as I was getting ready to remove the thermal from the AR, I noticed some slight movement! Tinkered a bit and verified it was a bit loose. Removed it, cleaned the mating surfaces of the scope and rail, and remounted—solid as a rock as far as I could tell. When I get home next week, it is range time for another zero. Then maybe just put it back in the case and go home and back to the range in a day or two to recheck. IF it stays zeroed, then it’s back to the pasture and the pig shooting.

So-that’s the story. When I get back I will pull the camera cards and if the fat lady is a regular then I will more likely take my bow as that’s my preferred means to kill them.

And, I will get a report posted ASAP

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, make sausage

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ah too bad it got loose dusthoffer. You'll do better next time.
Good luck. I look forward to the next report.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote