Find
Notify
Tools

WTF Leupold?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I ordered a base & ring combo set for a Savage 10/110 as a Christmas gift for a young man that is just getting started. A while back he bought a Savage AXIS-II combo. I sold the cheap glass that was on it and sold him a nice used 3-9 x 40 Vari-X 2, using the factory combo rings to mount it. The spacing of the rings was almost too wide and the rear ring was so close to the magnification ring, it was a bit awkward to grasp the adjustment the magnification. I thought that a ring upgrade would be a nice touch.

Well, a few days ago he came by and I gave him his gift & since he keeps his rifle in my safe, we went into the workshop to install the new bases/rings.

After having to use a screw extractor to remove the "factory" bases, I removed the rings from the package and found that Leupold had decided to "badge" the rings with a tacky looking stamped "logo" on the top ring half.

Why in the f**k did they do that? It's looks like a wart on an otherwise pretty girl's nose! I called Leupold and was informed that soon, all of their rings will have this "corporate badging". I informed them that I was done buying Leupold rings.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bravo Foxtrot Delta. This is a "first world problem" if I've ever heard of one.

Get over it.

By the way, it was a nice gesture to upgrade the young man's scope rings. Don't cheapen it by bitching about the logo.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree with George on this one.

I do not George Alpha Foxtrot how Leupold marks their products. I will continue to use them as I consider them to be high quality bases and rings.

Worry about serious issues such as ISIS, the Taliban and the Clintons. Really!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, get over it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I agree, get over it...

Yeah well I am over it. This is what they post on their site.

These are the rings I've used on all but one of my many rifles going back to the days when they were Redfield rings.

THIS is what you will get once all the old stock is depleted.

Who requested this change anyway? Are you going to use these on a high end custom gun or one that you have invested countless hours in building?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that it's not the end of the world, but I have to agree more that it looks tacky and cheap. Building the brand I guess was the idea.

But then have you seen some of the new rifles out there? I used to think an XBolt was hideous... now it's potentially one of the pretty ones....

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
I agree that it's not the end of the world, but I have to agree more that it looks tacky and cheap. Building the brand I guess was the idea.

But then have you seen some of the new rifles out there? I used to think an XBolt was hideous... now it's potentially one of the pretty ones....

I never said it was the end of the world, but it's the end of me buying Leupold rings. Fortunately, Burris rings will fit Leupold STD bases.

I noticed on the package it references "U S Carbon steel" which sound like made in China with U S carbon steel to me. I couldn't find the country of manufacture anywhere on the package.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Simple for me. If they have that stamp I'll simply use Burris. It would bug the $hit out of me everytime I looked at it.

But I don't allow a new car dealer to mark my car either.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the Leupold stamp, just don't like the Signature Leupold ring marks when I take them off the scope!!

Posts: 1014 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand how seemingly insignificant things can just rub you the wrong way and cause reactions like that. Silly, but I know I've caught myself doing that. This is not one of those instances, though.
Leupold treated me right concerning an issue I had once after stripping a screw/ring thread.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Simple for me. If they have that stamp I'll simply use Burris. It would bug the $hit out of me everytime I looked at it.

But I don't allow a new car dealer to mark my car either.

The stamps are tacky. But then I see people wearing gear (ie Cabelas) with the mfgs logos/brand emblazoned all over. They pay, and the mfgs. get free advertising. Go figure...

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like the person that told me the logo wasn't on the 22 RF rings yet was misinformed.

While looking up the 13mm RF rings for product number on their site I saw a review lamenting the logo on those rings also.

I won't be purchasing those rings for my new CZ 452.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
WOW! They will look great on a Mossberg with a Tasco world class scope!

Gotta watch for a sale!!

NOT!!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
WOW! They will look great on a Mossberg with a Tasco world class scope!

Gotta watch for a sale!!

NOT!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed their stock dropped 17 points on the DJ Average this afternoon. Your post must have gone viral...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at least they match the finish on the scope.

if your building a custom rifle it would take the smith about 3 minutes to mill the logo off and put his on there.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The logo is small issue, its out there in plain sight and the buyer is free to take it or leave it.
A somewhat bigger problem is whole Redfield pattern, pinch between the top half of two self- loosening, hopefully held together with red Loctite, and occasionally use the scope for a pry-bar system. And for what? To cure a windage problem that you probably don't have?

I've lost track of how many those rear rings and bases I've thrown away. The fronts have been re-used more than a few times on double dove-tail bases.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
The logo is small issue, its out there in plain sight and the buyer is free to take it or leave it.

Unfortunately Leupold has not updated the pictures on their site. If I had seen the logo on the site oictures I would not have purchased the rings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Leupold will start offering rings without the logo, for, say, a 25% premium? That would be par for their marketing department.

I like Carhart shirts, and don't mind the small "C" logo they usually put on the pockets (although I'd just as soon it not be there). I started to buy a Carhart T-shirt the other day and found that everything the store had in stock had "Carhart" in bright and garishly bold lettering splashed down the sleeve of the left arm. The store still has the shirts and I'm still looking.

What if Holland & Holland had carved its name in two inch letters down each side of the stock on its $100,000 doubles?

Nothing says "low rent" louder than inappropriate logos and advertising plastered on a product.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Nothing says "low rent" louder than inappropriate logos and advertising plastered on a product.

^^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I noticed their stock dropped 17 points on the DJ Average this afternoon. Your post must have gone viral...
rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Well, since my poll indicated that 55% of potential buyers will no longer buy the rings since the logo is on them and 0% will buy them because they like the logo, I would say that the added expense of the product change will hurt their sale significantly.

Add to the fact that the 45% that don't care one way or the other probably consists of some that wouldn't have bought them anyway. That would skew the percentages even further against the change if I had given a 4th option to reflect those people.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
That's why I like the Talleys...marked so but done discreetly. Bought a Leupold VX-R thats on the verge of looking like an advertising billboard, but still good glass.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
A somewhat bigger problem is whole Redfield pattern, pinch between the top half of two self- loosening, hopefully held together with red Loctite, and occasionally use the scope for a pry-bar system. And for what? To cure a windage problem that you probably don't have?

I've lost track of how many those rear rings and bases I've thrown away. The fronts have been re-used more than a few times on double dove-tail bases.

Do you drive a lot of corrugated roads with rifle in tow? Despite the unlikely look of those Redfield mounts, I had some (extention rings, too) on my .338 for 33 years and they served with distinction.

However, I do like the tenor of your argument. To me, the branding on rings is less important than the fact that virtually the whole scope industry relies on the dodgy concept of image-movement Smiler

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should bitch out all manufacturers who have the gall to place their brand on their products.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Maybe we should bitch out all manufacturers who have the gall to place their brand on their products.. Roll Eyes

Well, the fact of the matter is, Leupold spent $$$$ to render a product that more than 50% of potential buyer would choose not to buy because of the change.

The least Leupold could do is update the pictures on their site to reflect the change.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

Well, the fact of the matter is, Leupold spent $$$$ to render a product that more than 50% of potential buyer would choose not to buy because of the change.

The least Leupold could do is update the pictures on their site to reflect the change.

As internet dependent as everyone/thing is today, I agree with "...update the pictures...".

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The most effective branding is discrete. If the quality is there, then people will look closely to find the brand.

Of course, if the quality isn't obvious, then the sellers think that maybe garish branding will gloss over that deficiency.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:

Cant argue with that WJ. It is nice to actually get what you thought you've bought. And when you dont it can be aggravating.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I got on the Leopold site and told them after 40+ years of using their rings I was not going to be able to use their rings. That I felt the tacky logo didn't belong on a nice rifle.

Their answer was "Sorry to see you go"

So Burris or others it will be from now on.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Interesting- so the have dozen sets I have in my takeoff box are now worth something? For sale!

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way more competition out there for Leupold now. Not saying they are better or worst.It's a marketing strategy world. If you have a good product you will survive in the long run.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:

Do you drive a lot of corrugated roads with rifle in tow? Despite the unlikely look of those Redfield mounts, I had some (extention rings, too) on my .338 for 33 years and they served with distinction.

However, I do like the tenor of your argument. To me, the branding on rings is less important than the fact that virtually the whole scope industry relies on the dodgy concept of image-movement Smiler

Just because they have "worked" doesn't mean there are not better options out there. I used to use these type of mounts, but there are way better options out there. I always had problems with those rear windage screws not staying tight and even had one shear off after tightening it.

Go to a competitive match and see how many shooters use these kinds of mounts, especially the winners.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I will not use a mount with windage adjustment that what the knob on the side of the scope is for. But that is why they make fords and shitties I mean chevys. That being said what is the big deal if you liked the rings before did they stop working because of the logo. I was given a nice Remington with these on it I like the 6 screw tactical rings. So I bought a set if you want a set of rings that don.t have the logo send me 6 dollars SH and Ill send you the rings.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I won't pile on, but I bought Leupold mounts a few years ago for a varmint rifle and noticed they now have the logo on the top. I am the kind of person this would bother (it did), but they're barely noticeable and aren't that garish when on the rifle. For a fine custom build or something glossy, no way. For the walking varmint rifle I constructed, they were fine.

I will agree I don't understand the decision to make the change. Sure, the logo is out there, but doing it that way increases the machining time and cost, I'm sure.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I will not use a mount with windage adjustment that what the knob on the side of the scope is for.

That's fine if the scope just slips in and happens to be pretty well lined up, with the knobs at the centre of their adjustments. However, even the smoke and mirrors of constantly centred reticles may not save the situation if zero is out on the edge.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
WTF? OMFG!...I am not ever buying another gun, scope, or binoculars...can you believe it they all put their logo on their product.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the end of the world, but the logo stamped on the top of the rings is ugly.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I will not use a mount with windage adjustment that what the knob on the side of the scope is for.

Agree, but the issue is more to do with rifle manufacturers and poor quality control when it comes to drilling the receiver holes for the scope bases...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HEY. How about all those scopes, rifles, pistols, even automobiles, that have the manufacturers name or logo on them, ain't that a bitch!!

BTW are you OCD? beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote