New
Find
Notify
Tools

target dot versus fine duplex reticle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am asking this question in regards to a VX 2 for high-power silhouette. I'm interested to know the advantages of one versus the other.

Thanks,
D

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the dot draws you eye focus to it, much like a red dot would. i really prefer the dot

Posts: 13444 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I love the dot reticle. Allows me to focus my attention on one spot without the distraction of other clutter.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The Lee dot seems to have a great reputation, perhaps dating from when posts and plain crosshairs were about the only alternatives.

How are they for shooting varmints at long distances?

Posts: 4961 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I love the dot and would get it on every scope if possible. I like the 1/8" dot myself.
God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a fine crosshair in an older Leupold 24X benchrest scope when the 24X was the highest magnification they made. I think it is a 1/8 minute wide crosshair. (Not a duplex)

I also have a older but later model 36X Leupold benchrest scope with a 1/4 minute dot.

The fine crosshair kills my eyes. I like the 24X but it really needs a better reticle.
The dot is much easier on my eyes and I shoot smaller groups with that scope. It could be the magnification but I don't think so.

That said I also have a dot in a 3X Leupold M8 and it is too small for field use. I think there is something wrong with the scope and it needs to take a trip to Oregon for a new duplex reticle.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only advantage of the Fine Duplex is that it does not over as much target if that suits you. Therefore it can allow for a more precision shot.

While the Leupold Fine Duplex is what I have in my higher power scope on my target/varmint 223 bolt rifle, I like the VX-6 so much that I am considering changing to a VX with the firedot and its more hunting style Duplex on that rifle too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
The Lee dot seems to have a great reputation, perhaps dating from when posts and plain crosshairs were about the only alternatives.

How are they for shooting varmints at long distances?

Not particularly well-adapted, in my opinion. When shooting at varmints you are almost always holding off -- either due to wind, or to distance, or both. The dot provides no visible reference for holdover or "Kentucky" windage. A Duplex crosshair provides some useful reference. A reticle like Leupold's Varmint Hunter or B&C is even better.

In instances where the dot is the exact point of aim on a target sufficiently larger than the dot, it can be helpful in providing a psychological surrogate for the bullet's impact point and thus may be helpful, particularly in offhand shooting.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote