New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes inexpensive best ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im curious as to what opinions others may have on the subject of inexpensive scopes .
Such as Simmons , Barska , Leapers , Tasco on and on . I'm simply looking for the best quality low dollar scope in 6-24x50 power or there abouts . I want to be able to see .17 & .224 holes through my scope at 100 Yd for load building Paper Punching . Yes I know about expensive scopes and have a few on my very best rifles . I'm not spending Huge $$$$'s for 60 -80 year old war horses . Thanks Confused

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Look through a Pentax gameseeker and your search will have ended. I think it's the best thing going in it's price range $100 +or-

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know that Gameseekers came in that magnification range, but if they do than I think TC1 is right!

I bought a Barska to play with because there were some good reviews on Midway. Those guys were whistling in the graveyard--it is an incredible POS.

I've been to lazy to send it back to Midway so far, but it's going back even if I don't get credit for it--that's what a POS it is!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've actually had good luck with some of the older Tasco scopes in that price range but, I personally don't know how durable the newer models are.

Out of the scopes listed the best I've seen were the Simmons' brand. Descent optics and surprisingly strong.

I've heard good things about Mueller and Leatherwood so, don't leave them from the mix.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind you get what you pay for. I wouldn't waste my time with BSA (Bad Scope Association Big Grin ), NC Star, Barska, or any of those trash barrel brands. The .22 rimfire guys love the Muellers, but I recently read on another forum where the company advises not to use them on centerfires. I always liked Simmons scopes but I've run into some very bad luck with their customer service regarding a warranty claim. I had a Bushnell Banner for a short time and I was pleased with it, seemed to be better quality than some of the other crap out there.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost anyone's low magnification fixed power scope is a good scope these days. But when you introduce the variable power cam, and as you go up the magnification scale, the cheap scopes become almost useless.

They will have varying poor focus, outrageous abberattion, change of POI, etc. as you get into the higher powers. If you want a scope with a top end above 9x, particularly in the 18-24X range, you're just going to have to pay a bunch or you might as well use a peep sight.

Economical alternative: Sometimes you can find a used Lyman 20x fixed power on ebay, or maybe a Weaver T-series fixed power. If you don't have to have the lower power afforded by a variable, these scopes can be had in your price range and would be infinately more servicable than the el cheapo high end variables avalable from most of the bargain basement Asian importers.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
give the mueller a try - a 8-25 there ranges from 159 for a plain one to 229 for one with a lighted mildot. I believe i have 3 or 4 currently and they are all holding up well

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the replies . I just borrowed two un mounted scopes from a shooting buddy today . ( Raining at the moment ) I'm going to print some Reg. targets with variable size letters ( Font Sizes ) on them. then place them at 100 Yd and see which scope is better as far as focus so as to be able to read the letters . I know that's not saying anything about holding 0 or durability . At least I'll have some Idea as to Clarity at 100 Yd. Simmons , Leapers , Tasco all in 6-24X50. I do agree that a single or fixed higher power would be better for paper punching.
I'm thrifty when it comes to these older guns and can't bring my self to Buy a $800 -2K scope to mount up on $ 100 - 400 guns .
What really P O's me is that a couple of these old veterans will shoot .50 - 1.25 " with hand loads on a regular basis !. I've bought some NIB different makes and have been Mighty disappointed in there performance to say the least !. I shall look into a Mueller ? I've never heard of that brand . As to my knowledge pentax doesn't make that high a power scope .
See it just goes to show no one knows everything !. It's why I enjoy this site . Opinions and Information along with experience is Knowledge !.

Remember Life is but a game it's how you play it that really matters , because in the end NO ONE WINS !. salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
In the dim historic past, I had a Bushnell Banner on a 300 win mag. I used it for years without any problems.....

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barska and NcStar are awful. Regrettably, I have personal experience with each.

Nikon Prostaff is very good but may be a little more than the price we are discussing here.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
for the money and warrenty u can't beat a sightron scope very clear,sightron doesn't fix their scopes they replace them.

Posts: 19 | Location: Hoosier National Forest Area . | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the Swift Premier and SRP lines a look see... I have a pair of Swift binos that are absolutely superb.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I've had very good luck with Weaver's low end scopes. I have several that ran around $120 on rifles and have not had any problems with them.
Weaver's are a cut above the ones you mention.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BSA is for you!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey there doc, I have 2 bushnell banners 6-18x50 aos on my 300 win and 243 and i love them very clear optics from 6 power all the way up to 18 power they were 140.00 a peice, I havent used any of the others mentioned above so the bushnell gets the nod in my case. Good luck and happy shooting.

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this is no where near a scientific evaluation by any means . I had two friends come by and give me .03 cents worth of their opinions as well as an actual LOOK SEE . Heres what we came up with !. Leapers Couldn't focus at any distance, my opinion JUNK !. Tasco was almost as good as the Simmons , the latter was a little sharper focus by a hair . I could actually read # 22 font size with it at 100 Yd. I could make out 20 font size numbers with out problems . Tasco 22 & 24 font size numbers could be read . I agree with LWD , Barska & NcStar are in the BSA category !. Bad or Broken Scope Association take your pick . I would like to look through a couple of more scopes like a Mueller before purchasing .A Swift ? I'm not familiar with that brand either ??. I have a couple of older Weavers they are just fine !. Not in the magnification range I'm after . Same with an old Bushnell it's actually a decent scope but not enough power !. Remember I would like to be able to see .22 holes . Yes I have a Spotting scope !. But shooting smiley faces is so much more fun when using just the scope ! ( Kidding )

I really appreciate everyones input !. salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Reloader said, the older model Tasco World Class were decent scopes. However, I have been anything but happy with their newer models. I purchased a 6-24x40 varmint model a few years ago to go on a 223. The scope is clear until you get to 14 or 16 power, then it becomes useless. IMO, bushnell is the best "cheap" scope out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift optics are excellent bang for the buck optics. Read this review of the binos that I have. I paid less than $300 shipped to my door, and they are better than some $600 binos that I have looked through. I would without a moments hesitation consider a swift premier or SRP line rifle scope.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Bushnell 3200 are good for the dough.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know your price point but a Leupold VX II is $300 and a Bushnell Elite 3200 is $200 both very good for the money

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices of scopes are relative to values of the weapons their placed on !. Example War vintage O3/06, I'm Not going to mount 4X12 Zeiss !. $200 - 350 range scopes are acceptable . For Hunting purposes on my more Elite line of weapons , that's in entirely different matter . Zeiss Swarovski Leupold are the ones for me ,in that order .

Some times you come across a decent scope for a $ 85 - 150 such in the case of the Simmons . I have NO Complaints about them what so ever . Optics are decent sharp focus seem to hold up . I haven't broken one yet.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a shop where they had most decent brand name scopes , of the same power mounted on a dummy rifle so customers could decide for them selves !. Yea I know dreaming again !. As someone already mentioned Almost everyones fixed low power cheapies are comparable. It's when you need magnification that it really shows up !.Kind of like Glasses from an optometrist instead of the 5 & 10 or hay and grain sales yard ! thumb

The inevitable failure of a democratic society begins when the voice of the minority are allowed to be heard !. CRYBABY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of the gunshops up in my area have these gunstocks that have a hard rubber clamping type mount that you can try different scopes on. Surprised that there aren't any there in CA. I even have an old stock that I mounted a spotting scope on.

It has already been said but the older Tasco were a great value for the dollar. Most of the ones guys have said that are junk....I concur. The Bushnell's aren't bad on a light recoiling rifle but I won't put one on anything bigger than an '06. There warantee also SUCKS!! I have returned a couple of items for repair and they wanted more to fix it than I paid for it. Needless to say I will NEVER buy another Bushnell product.
WW

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Dr. K, You are on the right track doing your comparison of different sized fonts. More should do this. I have seen a number claim Leapers is fine. Yet like you they never look focused to me.

Have not used Mueller, though plenty speak highly of them. The cheaper ones that would likley work are The Banner's already mentioned. Though the 50 mm seems better than the 40mm. I know it isn't because it is larger, but maybe it is because they are more careful with the larger lens. And the Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x though you can only get those used.

Depending on conditions and such I think you can do what you want with 18x. Probably not easily done with less unless the optics are top notch. Depends a bit on your eyesight as well.

Just a what if kind of thing. Would it be practical to put quick detachable mounts on several of your rifles? Then you could pay more
for one or two good scopes, and swap the scope around as needed. In my limited experience the QD mounts do line up very close if not perfectly to zero when removed and mounted again.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Gameseeker and a Bushnell Trophy, both are compareable, but I've had the Trophy for years and so far it has been ''bullet proof. The Gameseekeris good also but not the record yet. They all have a balistic plex, which is a little busy and takes sometime getting use to. If I had the option I wouldn't order it. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have an old bsa 8x32 x 44 I've had for a few years(10?) I mount it on every gun I buy to see how well they will group.I last mounted it on a 30-06 charles daly mauser,which grouped under 3/4" @100 yds.The scope works well enough,the adjustments aren't real consistant,but I can easily see .17 caliber bullet holes at 100yds.maybe I got lucky.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ESLDude ; Yes I was fortunate to purchase a couple of those 44 Mag. Scopes before they discontinued them. I have had good luck so far with the simmons for the money real hard to beat in my book !. Update; I obtained another Leapers for comparison on focus just in case my friend got a bad one !. Well this one is WORSE !Brand new out of the box never been used !. Lessor power still does not seem to focus sharp . Again I enlisted the Aid of a couple of friends and a couple of my neighbors this time . NONE could get it adjusted to read any of the fonts !. Even at 60 Yd. POOR Quality . I will stay away from them !... moon

posted Hide Post
I like the Burris, Sightron, and Weaver. I like to check the sample list http://www.samplelist.com for any scope deals that may come along.
Good luck

Posts: 6 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I admit I am a Sightron fan ...

Have not yet experienced customer service, but am in the process of sending back my 1.5-6x42 SII because the cross hairs are a little "cattywampus".

Have still shot multiple sub half inch groups with the scope and OSOK'd 4 deer last fall with it ... but, it IS a good excuse to sample the customer support claims ...

Also own SII's in 6x42 and 3-12x42. I really like the glass.

Last I checked, lockstock.com still had 6x42's for about $160 shipped. GREAT SCOPE! Not quite as good as my VX-III 2.5-8 at the last light ... but the eye box is always "right there".

A good eye box puts me skinning game at "last light".

Posts: 58 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to Midwayusa.com and get a $100 Simmons 6.5x20x50mm Whitetail Classic, it's the best $100 scope in that category

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well open my mouth insert feet !. Another friend came by with a leapers 6 24 X 44 lit reticle .
It's just fine !!!. Still not as sharp for reading the fonts but focus is OK !.
Simmons is hard to beat for $$ !. He also brought a older Tasco and a newer prairie model or something to that effect 6 24 X 44. As far as fine focus it also read the larger fonts just fine . I'm now beginning to wonder if it makes a difference who's on assembly duty that particular day ???. Oh yea Calif.?. One is lucky if you're not arrested on the way to a range or favorite shooting spot !. Let alone a " Real Gun Shop ", No got to go East South or North for one on them !. CRYBABY

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
busnell 3200, i have a 2x7, pretty darn pleased with it.. lives on a 416 AR and shoots GREAT

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39683 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the Bushnell 3200 is a pretty fair scope.
But with a glued on saddle and only 3'0" of
eye relief, I'd rather have a Browning!

I've been told that Browning scopes are made by Bushnell to Browning specs. They have 4200 quality glass and a body designed by Browning.
There is also a 3.7" eye relief on the 2X7 instead of just 3.0"!

The price is only slightly more, but worth the money due to having an integral saddle and plenty of eye relief!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/browning-2-7x32-mm-riflescope-882732m.html

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:

I've been told that Browning scopes are made by Bushnell to Browning specs. They have 4200 quality glass and a body designed by Browning.

The price is only slightly more, but worth the money due to having an integral saddle and plenty of eye relief!

Buy it here for only $139

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productD...nd=&prodID=BH882732M

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScudRunner:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:

Buy it here for only $139

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productD...nd=&prodID=BH882732M

Thanks, Scud! Methinks I'll get another!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simmons Aetec 6.5x-20x. I have had 2 for many years and they are still killing deer every year. I would rate the glass better than the VXII but not quite as good as the VXIII. My $.02

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite "Bang for the buck" scope line is the Super Sniper's, specifically the 10x rear focus.
http://supersniper.com/
The SS is AMAZING!

For hunting, my favorite budget scope line has to be Nikon.
At least the Buckmaster and Monarch. The Prostaff didn't suit me, but others seem to like them.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a $32 scope with lifetime warantee for cheap? I wanted an air gun scope that would focus at close range and withstand the double whammy recoil of a spring air rifle. The Leupold compact 3x-9x with EFR was $307 so I thought I'd save some money and get one off EBAY. Several appeared but $275 was the cheapest they went for,no matter the age. So if I can plop down $307 and always get atleast $275 that makes it a $32 scope. My experience with Bushnell was I sunk a lot more into postage trying to get their junk fixed---sometimes returned from their fine repair facility still broken. The $32 Leupold has been a pleasure.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see just fine though a 4X cheap scope.

Then there is the reliability problem.

Cheap high power scopes are not clear and bright.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not had the dough to mess with high dollar scopes, I hang around 100 to 150 dollars, mostly. For hunting I use Bushnell trophies, and have given them out as Xmas presents as well. Great scope, no problems. I also have one low budget Simmons Pro Hunter with a diamond reticle that I like a lot. Since I don't shoot under less than good conditions (fair weather guy) I am well off in scopes. I have recently acquired a Bushnell Banner in 6x18x50 that I want to try on my 22-250. I am impressed looking through it, waiting for the rain to stop.

Posts: 16125 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I had a Tasco World Class on one of my rifles a couple years ago, and it was pretty decent for the $$. Good warranty, good function, and I know from experience that falling into a shallow stream and caking the whole thing with mud and water doesn't affect it at all! sofa

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote