New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes inexpensive best ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Natchez has the Browning 8X24 for $279.

Browning 8X-24X

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My lower and higher end scope rewiew=

I have a Barska 3x12x50IR on a savage 17hmr that i use for night fox hunting, surprisingly clear and i never had any problems with poi changes,but i probally wouldnt trust in on a centerfire.
-Tasco World Class 3x9x40 IR. I have thrown this scope around on alot of guns,Its kind of like my new gun test scope. Has survived the recoil of a t/c omega ruger 7mm mag and 257 roberts with no problems it now sits on a 22lr.
-Bushnell banner and sportview 3x9x50, Neither would hold the same poi for more than one shot on my 7mm mag or t/c omega. Banner is on one of my hmrs and does good on it. the sportview is getting a good view of a landfill.
-Bushnell Sharpshooter 3x9x32, This scope has been around ever since i can remember. I took several deer using this scope on the 257 roberts and its now on a 10/22 it seems better built than the sportview was.
-Tasco 6x24x42 Varmint, I have had this scope for about 6 years, I put it on my 223 ultra varmint, it gets a little dark over 20 power but holds poi and tracks strait,It now is on my 257 Roberts and does a great job on it also.
-BSA contender 6x24x40 mill dot. I put this scope on my ultra Varmint because I wanted a sunshade,Its clearer than the tasco varmint at higher power,but the power knob if very very stiff to turn, holds the same poi on all powers. The focus is also not right. to focus clear at 100 the focus is set at around 150.
-BSA 1.5x4.5x32 catseye I had this scope on a mossburg 835 ultra mag and it held together, Its now on a taurus carbine, I also really dont like the rubber coating on bsa scopes,when you swap guns and have ring marks from the last mounts it just dosnt look to good.
-Leupold VX3 6.5x20x40. This is the older style vx3 and the best scope i own, very very clear and takes the beating of my 270 wsm. I do wish it had target turrets though.
-Leupld VX1 3x9x50 Put this on my 7mm mag to replace the bushnells that wouldnt do the job, So far its holding the same poi and is very clear.
-Weaver 2.5x8x28 handgun scope, Very very clear never had any kind of problems what so ever.

I might give mueller a shot next, What about the leupold Riflemans? any luck with them?

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
How about a $32 scope with lifetime warantee for cheap? I wanted an air gun scope that would focus at close range and withstand the double whammy recoil of a spring air rifle. The Leupold compact 3x-9x with EFR was $307 so I thought I'd save some money and get one off EBAY. Several appeared but $275 was the cheapest they went for,no matter the age. So if I can plop down $307 and always get atleast $275 that makes it a $32 scope. My experience with Bushnell was I sunk a lot more into postage trying to get their junk fixed---sometimes returned from their fine repair facility still broken. The $32 Leupold has been a pleasure.

Tienes razon, Carpetman!

The most expensive piece of equipment you can buy usually the one that comes with the lowest price tag.

As an example, at a recent gunshow an exhibitor had two older scopes of about the same age side-by-side. One was a 1960's Leupold Vari-X II, and the other was a Bushnell. The cost of the Leupold was about $70 new, and the Bushnell $50. He had the Leupold priced at $170 and the Bushnell at $30. So, the Leupold would have "cost" the original owner -$100, while the Bushnell would have "cost" the original owner +$20. By the way, when I circled back by his table the Leupold was gone and the Bushnell appeared in no danger of leaving any time soon.

The lesson is that anything you spend on a Tasco, Simmons, BSA, etc. is pretty much flushed down the toilet and can never be recovered, while you can get anywhere from 75% to 90% of the money you spend on a Leupold back immediately, and even "make" money over a few years' time.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Im curious as to what opinions others may have on the subject of inexpensive scopes .
Such as Simmons , Barska , Leapers , Tasco on and on . I'm simply looking for the best quality low dollar scope in 6-24x50 power or there abouts . I want to be able to see .17 & .224 holes through my scope at 100 Yd for load building Paper Punching . Yes I know about expensive scopes and have a few on my very best rifles . I'm not spending Huge $$$$'s for 60 -80 year old war horses . Thanks Confused

Doc,
I prefer Zeiss, Leopuld, and Burris but have some experience with lower priced scopes. Forget Simmons - Had a 6x24x50AO recommend just plain don't go there! BSA - Have had 4. 2 were quite good; 2 weren't! 50/50 luck on BSAs. Barska - Have 1 fixed 4x on a deer rifle that I like but no experience with higher powers. Bushnell - Think this would be your best bet for AO target scope. Many shooters in a squrrel rifle competition I compete in have had good luck with them!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi-new here. I read a review on a Konus Pro 6X24X44 rifle scope. Its an Italian made scope. This company apparently makes alot optical equipment and from what I understand their products seem to be pretty good. Thinking about putting this scope on one of my rifles. Does anyone have any experience with these. Dave

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I have a weaver 3-9x50 that has started fogging after 4 years of use. I liked the glass and the recticle. I now have a Meopta 1.5-6x42 scope on my rifle.

The glass doesn't seem so much better, but I hope it will last longer.

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested,I have a Burris 6X24 Signiture Scope with posilock that I would let go for $325.00.I bought it new and mounted it on a Cooper 223 and never fired the Gun.It would come with The Burris rings that are on it.Burris Scopes are warrantied"FOREVER" and made in The USA.This scope sells for close to $500 new. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
Looks like Natchez has the Browning 8X24 for $279.

Browning 8X-24X

I almost hesitate to recommend this scope because I may want to buy some more, but for the price they are really pretty nice.

I bought a 5x15 40mm and was impressed enough to buy another immediately after I received the first one. The second in 3x9 50mm.

Now I need one that doesn't look like the Hubble on a light rifle Big Grin A 3x9 40mm next.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote