New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC gets new sniper scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Canadian’s that served in Afghanistan distinguished themselves just like their forefathers did in previous wars. Soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines (from any country) do not get to pick the battles their governments choose to send them into.

For whatever their reason, the Canadian government chose to sit out Iraq, but I have no doubt in my mind that had they not done so, the Canadian soldiers would have served as well and as honorably there as they did in Afghanistan where they fought, bled, and died right along side our young men.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMCI*:

Turns out USO will sell you scope built for Canadian Sniper Rifle.

Here is the information. Scope is Mil Dot and Mil Knobs.

quote:
Special run of SN-3 3.2-17x T-Pal riflescopes.
1. OD Green 34mm tube, milliradian W&E systems, mil-dot lit reticle, low profile hardware
2. 18 mils elevation travel.
3. 10 mils windage (5 right and 5 left w/stops)
4. Excellent choice for precision shooting from .223 on up to .50 BMG.

SN-3 3.2-17x T-Pal Specifications

Model SN-3 3.2-17x Wide zoom ratio
Parallax Control T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus Side focus
Objective 44mm Strong
Objective Cover Butler Creek Flip-up Objective Protection
Sunshade 44mm 2" w/honeycomb Improves effective resolution
Tube 34mm Uses S&B rings
Color OD Green Type III hard anodizing
Eyepiece Lo Profile - Rapid Focus ± 3 diopter adjustment
Eyepiece Cover Butler Creek Flip-up Eyepiece protection
Reticle Mil-Dot - Std Traditional USMC spec
Reticle Lighting Type 11 Position Lit Excellent low light capablilities
Knob - Elevation EREK Milliradian 18 Mils full travel

Knob - Windage 105 Click Milliradian ± 5 Mils with stop 5R-0-5L

MSRP $2805
In stock now

Heck, they will even sell you a SSDS candidate Scope!

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder who US Optics stole this design from?

They already got their tit in a ringer by stealing the design of the Unertl USMC sniper scope, and they had to pay Unertl a royalty on every one they sold.

The other unethical stunt they pulled was in marking their “rip-off†Unertl scopes “USMC.â€

Not the kind of company I would choose to do business with.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I don't think you have the facts right on this one, but it really doesn't matter. I've dealt with them for nearly 15 years, and know the parties intimately and even that doesn't matter. I do like their scopes though.

What does matter is that they build a great scope!

Here is one of mine:

and a couple more: (If I could find a better scope, I would buy it!)

and just for grins, one final one:

--------------------

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DCMI*

I’m happy that you’re happy...but my facts are 100% correct.

If you look at the logo design on the left side of the turret housing on US optics rip-off Unertl scope you have to look closely to tell the difference between it and the Unertl logo. This was a total rip-off and they are paying for it.

They were forced to pay royalty payments on each and every Unertl rip-off scope they sold. If you doubt that call Unertl and ask them.

That tells me allot about the character (or lack of) of the company.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Paul Mauser and Co. get royalties from the Springfield 03 after a lawsuit? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhilly66:
Didn't Paul Mauser and Co. get royalties from the Springfield 03 after a lawsuit? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Yeah, for the stripper clips...not for exactly duplicating the Mauser rifle and going so far as creating a “lookalike†Mauser logo so people would confuse the 1903 with a Mauser. Big difference, in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I wander why they didn't go with one of the Leupold "tactical" models?

Terry

troll

You CAN'T be serious. homer

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I do not want to ruffle any feathers here.
I have been involved in this "Sniper Stuff" for about 23 years.
Variable power scopes for the US Marines are long over due.
Fixed power scopes are more rugged, but variable power scopes offer a such a great advantage, that they are a must have in todays world.
There are many different brands that would do an excellent job.
S&B scopes are as good as any. I have used S&B scopes for over 25 years.[ Before I was "officially" a "sniper".]
I have used many other, and currently use several different type of "sniper" scopes.
I have delt personally with Hans Bender, He is a stand up guy. They make a great scope.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
small fish
Please elaborate on your feelings about the Leupold scopes.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
small fish
Please elaborate on your feelings about the Leupold scopes.

There are a few things that I don't understand a Leupold. If like the USMC you feel that S&B defines the modern sniper scope with it's submission of the SSDO candidate/operator, then you will see over the last fifteen years Leupold has had to play some serious catch up.

Look at their time line for the introduction of such features as European Style Eyepiece Quick Focus, reliable and repeatable knob technologies, Wide travel erectors, FFP Reticles, Lit reticles, robust construction (Hunting scope to Military grade), glass reticles, Military grade high resolution optics, etc.

While they have been working feverishly to upgrade their technology by adopting leading edge technologies that have been employed by S&B, Zeiss, and others, it has been a slow process where they seem to have been dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era. Why they have been so slow to do this is a real puzzle to me.

On the positive side Leupolds investment in modern production equipment means that their quality and economies of scale makes their product a price leader in the premium scope world, something that the government and average scope buyer finds very attractive.

(Knights Armament Photo)

Of course, this has not been a problem for me as I don't use them. Big Grin

M70 CFA 7mm WSM, USO SN-3 3.2-17x44/58 with Horus H-25. Lilja 3 grove 28" long, Jewel 1 pound single stage and McMillan A-5 stock. Load is 63.5 VV N165, F215M, Berger 180VLD (.698) at 2935 fps.

--------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI
I would have to agree with you.
After the Leupold Fixed Mark 4 scopes came out I had a talk with the Leupold people about a variable power Mark 4

Their reply was that "There is no Market for them".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold lost out on the original contract with the USMC when they adopted the Unertl because they would not make the requested modifications to the scope they provided for the tests.

The argument over fixed vs variable for snipers will probably never be answered to everyone’s satisfaction...and the only opinions that will ultimately count are those of the guys using them in combat.

The fixed power Unertl’s have been used in more conflicts and probably have dropped more bad guys than any other scope out there...and I have never heard of any of them breaking down or failing to get the job done. If these new scopes can match that performance then God-Bless them.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
DMCI
I would have to agree with you.
After the Leupold Fixed Mark 4 scopes came out I had a talk with the Leupold people about a variable power Mark 4

Their reply was that "There is no Market for them".

Seems like today they are singing a different tune, doesn't it.

There is nothing like real world operations to put the issue of the Tactical Variable in perspective.

I was approached by a local SWAT Operator at a match last spring. He knew that I was a User/Fan of USO scopes, and he has new mission requirements as a result of some post 911 issues. Following our discussions that day, I lent him one of my SN-3s for test and evaluation. Well, test is putting it mildly!

Here are two of his reports:

quote:
...(I can report)...that USO SN3 is an outstanding scope! Optical clarity is sharp, clear, crisp. Color resolution is very, very good. With this scope it is easy to pick up small details. Nice considering how this scope is used.

For many situations I just leave the spotting scope behind now. A pair of binos and the USO provide all the optics I need.

Windage and elevation adjustments are positive, and completely repeatable. Box drills are a joke - it's like using a T-square on the target. I like the parallax adjustment, although some might not like it up front on the objective.

The 11-position/level illuminated crosshairs are more than anything I've needed. The very low settings are extremely useful in low-light situations. Would make a great feature on a poacher's scope! Wink

I've been shooting some really nice groups since swapping to D's big USO SN3 scope - not sure how much of that is due to the scope, but it sure hasn't hurt.

I'm not up on all the tech stuff about why this scope is superior to others - but at the operator level, it's better. Considerably better.

and

quote:
Nothing but praise here for the builders of my rifle, scope and mounts.

Fell yesterday. Rifle hit the rocks hard, after about a 6' arc through the air. A few nicks and dings, but nothing obviously wrong with it externally. Wish I could say the same about my leg. Pretty bruised up from hitting other nearby rocks.

This morning I went to the range, a brief trip, just to re-check the zero. Took one shot, at a mere 50 yards. Didn't have time to setup at 100 yards. The 168 grain Sierra smacked the target dead center!

Rifle is a Rem 700 VS, with the factory HS Precision stock. A couple of years ago Seattle riflebuilder Jim Cloward rebuilt the rifle, adding some glass bedding, squaring the action, and installing a 24" Krieger barrel. I installed a set of Badger rings on a flat Badger base. A few months ago DMCI loaned me his 3.2-17x US Optics SN3 for a SWAT evaluation.

This hard smack of the rifle, mounts and scope against the ground was a severe, but unplanned test. That it did not shift at all, not even a quarter inch, is superb testimony to the strength of the rifle, scope mounts and of the scope itself. This is one rugged setup. I'm still limping around, but the rifle, although scratched up a bit more (like that matters on this old warhorse?) is just fine.

PS: As shown in the above pictures, the gentleman is now also employing one of McMillans new M40A1-3 stocks.

--------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres the new 4-16x42 PMII.

and again

regards Pete

Posts: 64 | Location: Germany | Registered: 23 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1911A1Shooter
I know about the quality Snipers & Soldiers that
Canada has & I appreciate your service! I also
know of many good hunters & ranchers, especially
in Alberta, Sask.& Manatoba, at least most of them I know are from those Provinces.
It is unfortunate that currently your government
is ran by a bunch of knee-jerk Liberals with their stupid laws & ideas. I hope that the
"average Joe" up there can take the gov. back &
it can become a gov. of the people again.
Thanks for the post & the pictures!

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dammn I hate to see US going to equiptment made offshore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pic Pete...bet that "deer" never heard it comming.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I got a USO 35mm scope (24X?)with a 50BMG I bought. It didn't match any model they had listed so I called USO about some informantion on the scope. They had no idea which model it was. Oh yeah, they built it but that was all they knew. As I remember I talked to someone who identified himself as VP.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by william goldberg:
Nice pic Pete...bet that "deer" never heard it comming.

Nothing shot with a rifle ever does. Smiler

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is important that we support the economy. Record unemployment and cost of social programs and rising medical costs make it important that full employement be realized as a goal.

Besides the German Companies do appreciate our business! thumb

--------------------

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you only knew how much of it really does go over to different countries!! It would blow your mind---just 1 example the FA/22 only has 1 supplier of the MLG tires and they are made in France ONLY!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
quote:

If you only knew how much of it really does go over to different countries!! It would blow your mind---just 1 example the FA/22 only has 1 supplier of the MLG tires and they are made in France ONLY!!

It’s always amazed me how/why any country (not just the USA) would put themselves in the position of having to rely on another country to supply their military????????????

Especially with the musical-chair game going on where todays allies are tomorrows enemies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey M1911a1Shooter,

have PDWDTI gone broke or something?
it's been 16 months since i ordered a 408 timberwolf, and now they are not even returning emails?

could make the mrsws contract a bit sticky....

thsnks.

I'm a medic, not a doctor.
a doctor will save your life, a medic will make you comfortable while you die.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i stand corrected, i spoke to Ross of PGWDTI a few days ago, and they have been busy finalising a few contracts.

i hope this post didnt start any nasty rumors, as these guys do a hell of a job!

true quality takes time.

a hunter without patience is called a bench rester. moon

just kidding!

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:

Terry

It's the DOD Terry, the same reason they buy $400 hammers. Big Grin Big Grin
troll

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
quote:

Terry

It's the DOD Terry, the same reason they buy $400 hammers. Big Grin Big Grin
troll

The Marine Corps decides what goes on their M40’s not the DOD or some defense procurement type at the Pentagon. The M40’s are designed and built by the Corps and whatever goes into or onto those rifles is what the Corps has decided is the best available.