New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I do from TZ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been trying to obtain some riflescopes via internet to send to TZ. I've been told: NO GO, because of government regulations. I was hoping to order on the net and have shipped to me direct.
Any ideas on this?
Is this for real?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The applicable US laws, which are the Arms Export Control Act and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, only regulate riflescopes manufactured to military specifications.

So most, if not all, hunting riflescopes should be exempt.

Unfortunately, many US companies, from an excess of caution, are simply refusing to ship any riflescopes overseas.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can probably order out of Europe.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the advice. I figured it was as you have said, having been refused first Trijicon, then Leupold as well. I'm having a Leupold hand carried from RSA, but it costs double of the US price, ex-Cabelas.

quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
The applicable US laws, which are the Arms Export Control Act and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, only regulate riflescopes manufactured to military specifications.

So most, if not all, hunting riflescopes should be exempt.

Unfortunately, many US companies, from an excess of caution, are simply refusing to ship any riflescopes overseas.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
as long as it is not a miltary reticle I don´t know that it should not be possible from here (Germany), but I only have Swarovskis... Eeker

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to talk to Alex Roy from Eurooptic.com. I'm a raving fan of his!

I've brought scopes from him that other well-known vendors here refused to sell to me - citing some legal issues. Well, Alex applies for export permits - free of charge, selling the same scope legally, for very good prices.

Contact Alex and be done with frustrations buying optics online from Africa.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the US, export of unmounted scopes is regulated by the US Dept of Commerce. Leupold was kind enough to apply for an export license for me of late. I have a feeling it is not a big deal, assuming you know what forms to fill in and where to send them...

I EuroOptic provides this service, that would be a good option.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A Department of Commerce export license under EAR regulations is required for any rifle scope, regardless of whether such scope is also regulated by AECA and ITAR and the Department of State.

The process is a bit of a maze, but even rats can learn to run through a maze - for the proper reward, that is.

Many companies have decided that it's not worth it for them to do so. Some are still willing, but the list is getting shorter every day, it seems.

Several companies (including Ruger, Bushnell and T/C) have had to pay large civil, and in some cases even criminal, fines as a result of violating applicable laws regarding these exports.

There are other reasons, besides federal regulations, that combine to make exporting rifle scopes from the USA fairly onerous.

Here is an informative discussion of the subject, for those interested:

SWFA's Export Policy

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys for your good advice. Exporting out of Europe or RSA seems to be safest bet for the future....

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
You need to find a hunter from the US who is coming to TZ and could bring a "backup" scope with him.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2296 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote