New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell 3200 versus 4200.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to purchase 4-5 scopes for new rifles. I have used Leupolds, Nikons, and B&L's with equal success and durability. There is quite a difference between the Bushnell 3200 and 4200 line. Would I be happy with the 3200's or are the 4200's that much better and worth the price?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6609 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be in the minority but the only diff. I see in the two is whether yoou want a 4-1 turndown ratio or a 3-1. for the $$ I'm perfectly happy with 3-1

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another difference that Bushnell states in there catalog is that the Elite 3200 is "Multi-coated" where the Elite 4200 is "Fully Multi-coated" which is going to give you better light transmission and contrast.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned numerous B&L 1.5 x 6 and 2 x 8's over the years and have never been disappointed. How do these stack up against the new 3200's?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6609 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used several Elite scopes. I have noticed that it seem that the same scope tube is used for both models (assuming similar power ranges). This means that with a 3200 you are carrying a scope that is longer than it needs to be.

All in all, Elites are good scopes. I took one to Tanzania on a hunt last Sep and had no problems.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 years ago I got a B&L 4x12x40 AO, which is the same as the now Bushnell 3200.

It sells for $250 discounted.

For that money, I can get a Leupold 3x9x40.

No more Bushnells for me.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well the Elite 3200 3-9x40 is $179 for the standard reticle, and under $200 for the firefly. You can get a Leupold VX1 for around $200, but the VXII seems to be closer to $300.

I've got one 3200 in 3-9 and a Leupold VX1, no more Leupolds for me. Wink

Personally I like the Bushnell better than the VX1. Actually I really like the Burris FFII's now, I've got a couple of them with the Mildot and with a 165 gr. load in the '06 it's spot on out to 300 yards (farthest I've shot it).

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told that my old Bausch & Lomb Balvar would now be the model 4200. NRA Dope Bag review could not say enough good things about them. Mine is 6x24power.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
I was told that my old Bausch & Lomb Balvar would now be the model 4200. NRA Dope Bag review could not say enough good things about them. Mine is 6x24power.

Don't know about the last of the line of B&Ls, but for most of their years at least, they had their reticules etched on one of the internal lenses. You don't ever get broken reticules that way. Also, their glass was absolutely one of the best.

Personally, I'd take an American-made older B&L scope any day of the week....for my uses.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have never had problems or complaints with either the B&L 3200 or 4200.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I decided to try a 4200. I got the 2.5 X 10 I'm using it on a small .243 carry rifle a Remington Mohawk it works great and is bright. I'd buy another one with out any hesitation.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have five 3200s and have been very happy with them. Before I bought the first one I made a indepth comparison between 3200, 4200 and VX-II.

According to my ability to see, there is vrey little difference, if any, between the 3200 and VX-II. VX-II has a longer eye relief but it costs $200 more each. The 4200 is better quality glass but a bit heavier and longer. I settled on the 3200 and saved a few bucks. You can't go wrong with either one of it.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 3200 is better than a Leupold, but the Simmons Whitetail Expedition is better than both!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 3200 is better than a Leupold, but the Simmons Whitetail Expedition is better than both!

jumping

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SempreElk:
quote:

jumping

Do you have all three? I didn't think so! I have had several of each, and the Leupold is the bottom of the three!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had all three plus a couple others......PENTAX LIGHTSEEKERS and NIKONS!!!!!! LEUPOLD is living on their name!!! And the fact that they give EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE........they may need to exercise this option more than others!!! You'd be hard pressed to find a more optically clear to the edges of the veiwing field, definition, and light transmission abililty than the NIKONS!!! The PENTAXS....thats a given on the light seeking!!......aptly named!!! Clarity and Definition.......NIKON!! The only Leupold I own now is a 3-9x32(or 33) compact on the wife's 22!! There's better options out there than the "BIG L"!!! Nikon seems to be the one rising to the top!!! Bushnell 3200-4200's are superior to the low end Leupolds!!! Simmons Aetecs were always an unsung hero of the hunting man!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 7x57 that came with a B&L 3000 Elite 3x9 on it. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the 3000. I was considering swapping it out with a Nikon Monarch 4x and did a few comparisons. The B&L did fine until I looked at a target through the lights on my back porch. The Monarch looked right on through, but I could see nothing through the B&L because of the glare on the lens. The Nikon went on the 7x57 and the B&L went to my .22.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have all three? I didn't think so! I have had several of each, and the Leupold is the bottom of the three

Only Simmons I owned was an 8 point POS..Only the Aetec is a decent scope and better then the 3200 or the Leupold, have not looked at the new Simmons line and being their made in China very little chance of that ever happening.

Now getting back to the original post the 4200 is optically a great scope just a long heavy oversized scope features I don't care for.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only Simmons I owned was an 8 point POS

I agree on that!

The Nikon's and Pentax are a cut above Leupold also!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I wish that Canon would start making rifle scopes. Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I wish that Canon would start making rifle scopes. Wink

You already have Nikon, and Pentax!

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
I like the Nikon I just purchased 6.5-20 Monach,but the damn tube is too short for me to get the correct eye relief sorted. I'm looking at a 4200 or Black Diamond to replace.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote