Find
Notify
Tools

And another confession to make...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...when I was 9, I took an extra cookie at the church bake sale when nobody was looking.

But Sister Mary Discipline suspected I did and when she accused me, I lied.

I never told Father O'Grady in confessional cause I thought he would rat me out.

I just felt I should let everybody know before I was "outed".

I hope that you can all find it in your heart to forgive me and that I will not be banned.

I feel better now.

Thanks,

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

A guy could get ten Hail Mary's and ten Our Father's for that in this state. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
You are a brave man Mike, what courage it must have taken to come clean. and what hell you must have gone through, bottling it up all this time.....I salute you patriot

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
You are a brave man Mike, what courage it must have taken to come clean. and what hell you must have gone through, bottling it up all this time.....I salute you patriot

yuck

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Bet that was the best tasting cookie you ever ate!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

yuck

animal animal space animal animal

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now all we need is Carmelo or smarterthanu or 500 grains to show up with an "outcoming" or "out of the closet experience".

I just need to turn back to "Days of our Lives" and see some more good quality acting!!!

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Now all we need is Carmelo or smarterthanu or 500 grains to show up with an "outcoming" or "out of the closet experience".

I just need to turn back to "Days of our Lives" and see some more good quality acting!!!

I was just wondering what ever happened to smarterthanu the other day.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Since we're confessing; I am Spartacus. Big Grin

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I'm Spartacus!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i think you are a lying, Yankee, imperialist dog and hope you are excommunicated, then beat to death with a votive candle. SO THERE!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Knowing you, I'll bet it was more than ONE!!

Dude, MAN UP....tell us the truth, whole truth!!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Mike, how could you Frowner What kind of cookie was it Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Okay, I thought I could get away with it...they were oatmeal chocolate chip and it was really 2

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, true confessions time:

I never let the animal decide how he wants to die, I make that decision for him.

I usually shoot factory loads.

I have never used a lever action in Africa.

I shot my hippo in the water rather than on land.

I actually shot one of my leopards out of a blind, using a spotlight, at night. (it was legal in that area, of course)

I have been know to carry a tape measure in my pocket, and I ever turned a few of my trophies in to the SCI record book, got one of the little plaques and everything, and became part of the top 10 "inner circles". (Don't do that anymore)

One time when we needed an impala for bait, I shot it from the truck!! (anyway, it was just bait, and I wanted to get back to camp for a sundowner!)

I really like PHC, and believe he really did do all the things he said he did in his books, and just didn't get the stories from something he overheard in some bar in Kenya.

I hunt because I like to, and don't really need the meat to feed my family.

Feels so good to finally share this with others!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

He is or was a taxidermist in Houston. Went on to a different crowd, someone he could be "smarter than".

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
OK, true confessions time:

I never let the animal decide how he wants to die, I make that decision for him.

I usually shoot factory loads.

I shot my hippo in the water rather than on land.

I actually shot one of my leopards out of a blind, using a spotlight, at night. (it was legal in that area, of course)

I have been know to carry a tape measure in my pocket, and I ever turned a few of my trophies in to the SCI record book, got one of the little plaques and everything, and became part of the top 10 "inner circles". (Don't do that anymore)

One time when we needed an impala for bait, I shot it from the truck!! (anyway, it was just bait, and I wanted to get back to camp for a sundowner!)

I really like PHC, and believe he really did do all the things he said he did in his books, and just didn't get the stories from something he overheard in some bar in Kenya.

I hunt because I like to, and don't really need the meat to feed my family.

Feels so good to finally share this with others!

This type of honesty will get you everywhere coffee

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Did you confess only because you knew you would soon be "outed"?

There's an important difference between being driven by a conscience to come clean and doing it through expediency.

I'm all for giving a guy a second chance but a third is out of the question.

Oh, and you were right to steer clear of Father O'Grady. He quit the cloth and is hard at work designing speedos for the under-fifteens.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Milo,

I confessed for both reasons...because I am actually two people...you can also call me Sybil.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confessions are good. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys can all count on me to stay the same humble, unassuming, Walter Mitty kind of wishy-washy guy I have been since post one!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

quote:

He is or was a taxidermist in Houston. Went on to a different crowd, someone he could be "smarter than".

I actually miss him, he created a "leveling" effect to some of the idiots that post on here/ Wink

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Sybil is a touch of class. You should consider changing your other name to Basil.

Good on you both,
Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Hey mike...I CANNOT forgive you because that cookie you stole was meant for my charity - new hunting boots! CRYBABY

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Since we're all in a Dr Phil moment, I must confess that I shot my zebra from the bakkie. OH the SHAME! sofa

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Dude your original post made me spew coffee on my keyboard I laughed so hard! Big Grin

Some other very funny posts as well... so I will try my hand at the confession bit.

I actually never have been to Africa and hunted, I just read alot and am really good with photoshop!

There that was cathartic!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Russell: Nice try! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It gets even worse:

I shot one time when the PH told me not to shoot. He didn't think I could make the shot, and I thought I could. I did!

I didn't shoot one time when the PH told me to shoot. The range was too far, the animal was running flat out, and I just didn't feel comfortable shooting.

I love "true confessions" Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter was asking when was I going to confess?!

Walter "Everyone is confessing to the truth, when are you going to do it?"

"What truth?"
Walter "The truth about your hunting"

"What truth about my hunting?"
Walter "The truth that you have never been hunting"

"But I have been hunting. Even you have been hunting with me"
Walter "I KNOW that. But everyone is lying about telling the truth. So I think you should too"

"Are we into one of your arguments where one never knows what the start of it was?"
Walter "You see, you are already in a negative mood as usual. I am NOT arguing. I am asking, that is all"

"OK, let us start again, what are you asking now?"
Walter "I am asking if you can tell them that you have never been to Africa. You just like to read stories about hunting in Africa. You have many hundreds of books about hunting in Africa. You have read them all, and your brain became so scrambled you could not tell the truth from what you have been reading. That is what you should be telling them"

"I don't need to do that any more"
Walter "Why not?"

"Because, you nincompoop, you have already told it to them!"

"OH, now no one will believe it. It would have been better if you had told them. But as usual you sleep on the job, and then I have to do your job"

"We need to clean the croc pond this afternoon, are you going to help?"

Walter "Ha ha ha ha! No, no and double NO! I am not going into that pond with all those crocs"

"They don't bite"
Walter "They don't bite YOU. But the last time I went in with you I was the one who got bitten. Good thing that croc was small. In fact, he tore my trousers, and made a hole in my leg."

"I wish you will get some courage sometimes to do something useful for a change"

Walter "What you call something useful is for me to get hurt so you can laugh. I am not going to do it!"

"Fine, then I am not going to confess either!"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike you are a chicken! If Sister Mary Discipline was anything like Sister Benedict, she would have rapped your knuckles very hard with the ruler she always carried! Sister Benedict is now, I hope, with God. If she isn't then I KNOW there is no hope for me!
I always thought that we should just let some Catholic nuns loose in some of these madrassas. They would put the fear of God in those guys extremely quickly!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I confess. I use a 460 Weatherby. I have never used a Woodleigh bullet and have never shot an elephant. Also I really like Michael458. Eeker One of those is the truth. Any guesses which it is?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a 460 Weatherby

Too much gun for you so obviously false ... popcorn

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin
Still time to repent!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Oh well, since we are in the mood for confessions, I have one to make.
I am the illegitimate son of Will...
So that makes me the grandson of Pondoro him self. Eeker

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I am the illegitimate son of Will."
Does that mean you get a discount on the wallets and checkbook covers? How about the book?
I think you and he should go on Oprah and discuss this!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for adding a little humor.

I read this forum all the time trying to learn as much as possible about Africa.

I have absolutely zero to add as I have never been there.

I have one confession to make. Just to make sure I am posting to thread topic.

I think that some of the stuff that goes on here is hysterical, I find myself laughing, and scratching my head. I can never imagine hunting with some of these characters, and others I think would be great. What I would call foxhole buddies. The people you can rely on when it's hitting the fan.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
A cookie or a coochie? Which was it? Your secret is safe here.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh well, since we are in the mood for confessions, I have one to make.
I am the illegitimate son of Will...
So that makes me the grandson of Pondoro him self.

Darn Adam that IS funny....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
...when I was 9, I took an extra cookie at the church bake sale when nobody was looking.

Mike, I am now compelled to tell the rest of the story. I was only 7 at the time of that bake sale. I managed to covertly pick off and devour several of the scrumptious chocolate chips from the very cookie you stole. I later relented and, right before you took that extra cookie, I replaced the missing chips with some things I found in the rabbit patch. I would have told you at the time but you were really enjoying your savory treat.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote