New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's your favorite caliber and bullet make for leopard . Thanks for the input.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Leopards are small, and practically any caliber will do.

I have shot quite a few, with various calibers.

Several 270 wildcats, 7mm, 338, 375 and 416.

Never noticed any difference.

They all died.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've only shot one. A 168 grain Barnes TTSX from my .300 Weatherby worked perfectly!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1634 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've taken most of mine with a 375 and a Swift A-Frame.

Also used a 338 Win with Partitions. I think the Partition may be the perfect leopard bullet, although I prefer the A-Frame.

At the end of the day, (hint) the scope matters more than the caliber or bullet.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Our household has only killed two. Both with a 7 x 57 with SELLIER & BELLOT 173gr.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Whatever you would use for PG will be fine or your buffalo rifle with soft points. It does not matter much as a leopard kills very easy. I've killed them with 338, 330 Dakota and 375. I think a good quality scope with lighted reticle is more important than caliber.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a leopard kills very easy

Only if it is hit in the right place.

And yes, it is still very likely to die in the end if hit hard, but not after having mauled a few people in the process.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed my huge leopard (175lbs) with John Sharp in his old MALANGANI Concession, now part of Bubeye Conservancy. He was absolutely adamant that I needed to shoot a 375 H&H for Leopard (the Weatherby would not penetrate the shoulder to get to the heart or lungs!!)...
I had my 470 I had killed my elephant with, and my pre-64 Winchester Mode 70, rechambered for 300 Weatherby. I was using Federal 210gr Trophy Bonded soft points, One Shot, DEAD like lightening had struck!!...50 yards...
Now, I do agree that if I were shooting standard WEA ammo and lightly constructed 180gr bullets, the story would be different!! The RIGHT BULLET that won't explode at those terminal distances, IS CRITICAL!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only killed one. Used a Sako in 7x64 and a 150 gr. Nosler partition. Left about a 3/4 inch exit hole in the hide. He jumped from the tree and went less than 50 feet. The PH said anything in the .270/.308 range works good. I also used a Leupold VXR scope with a lighted red dot at the center of the crosshairs. I really like that scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only killed one. A 30-06 with 180 gn A-Frame. Dead under the tree.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope is more important than the cartridge. Use the best quality illuminated reticle you can afford. I used aTrijicon 2.5 to 10 x 56. Worked great

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Frostbit, our family has only killed two also. My wife took hers with a 7mm Rem. Mag., 150gr. Win. Ballistic Silvertip. I shot mine with a 35 Whelen, 250gr. Nos. Part.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Used SSG in a 12 bore for mine- on full charge airborne 7-8 feet off the muzzle…..Great fun. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My buddy used my 1886 .45-90 with 300 grain Nosler Partition loaded to 2200 fps and shot his big tabby at 20 yards. One shot and DRT.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only shot two, but always used my main rifle, a .416. I did change the scope to an illuminated reticle, which I love since it's a true one by six variable. My bullet is not ideal, a 400 grain Swift A Frame, but it works.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Killed mine in Tanzania. A .375 minimum was required by law. My .375 worked!

I have hunted them nearly always with a .375. Although I did sit for one with a 7mm Rem Mag. once. Such calibers will work. They are soft targets.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only two I've killed where with a 7rem mag with 168g bergers....both died.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how many I shot.

All but one from a hide.

And I would have been happy shooting ANY center fire cartridge in these situations.

Shooting a leopard a few yards away from a dead rest, one can place his bullet exactly where he wishes it to go.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the Leopard is down and out its grins, whoops and high fives all round but not so when the parking space beneath the branch is empty.

The mood abruptly changes from one which was primed to herald an explosive jubilation to one of a glum and anxious concern and if the cat is not located in a very dead state within a reasonable distance of the baited tree an impromptu "meeting" is held to identify those with the biggest balls to lead the way forward. Big Grin

Leopard hunting is not so much related to caliber or bullet as much as the emphasis on putting that bullet in the right place.

Some countries have purposely set the minimum caliber for any of the DG species at .375 hoping the "errant bullet" in the event of a wounding, will have caused sufficient damage which will either incapacitate or bring about its death within a reasonably short time frame.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Only shot 2.

One with a 375 H&H and 300gr TTSX.

Second with a 300 H&H and 180gr TTSX.

Both were dead under the tree.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
With the same shot, same rifle, same bullet, one can get different reactions.

From dead right there, on the tree branch, and slowly tumbling down.

To jumping so high off the branch, and falling off the tree, and never move as he hits the ground.

To taking off at supersonic speed along the branch, flying off the tree high up, landing and running as if nothing is wrong, and dying with 30 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need a softish bullet that will expand fully ... then a smaller caliber will suffice. Problem is most people are overgunned and there is a risk of flinching given the high strung situation. Better to use something that you can shoot than a buffalo rifle with hard bullets. I am thinking 7x57 class with conventional cup and core.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a "classic" leopard experience. Only shot two, but both were in the morning and on the ground. One DRT and one within sight of the base of the tree. Not usually a fan of what Fulvio describes as countries requiring bigger calibers to make up for bad shooting, as big calibers cause bad shooting with many hunters. But I hunt pretty much everything with a .416 except plains game in Masailand, and I've done that too.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've shot two-both with the same Winchester Model 70 375 H&H using 300 grain Nosler partitions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve said it before here.

Generally when I’m hunting cats, I’m also hunting buffalo.

Every cat I’ve shot has been shot with a rifle that meets the requirements for buffalo, and using the relatively hard ammo required.

I’ve had one less than optimal event with this situation, but all of the rest have been dead in, under, or near the place of the shot.

If you shoot them in the right place, they die quickly.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Shot mine last August. 9.3x74R with Hornady 287 grain spire point. Dead before it hit the ground.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to use my 375 H&H as the minimum caliber required by Tanzania. Bullet was 300 Grain A Frame. I really wanted to use my 30-06.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gentleman

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of friends have started using CEB's on their cats. Lions and leopards. Seems the thorax is completely jelled and cat is dead on the spot.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ailsa,

CEB's?

Hunting lion next year again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Ailsa,

CEB's?

Cutting Edge Bullets

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ailsa,

CEB's?

Cutting Edge Bullets (CEB)

Used one in my 9.3x74R double to take my last lion. Devastating performance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Checking them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ailsa,

CEB's?

Yes, Cutting Edge Bullets. Both are using the 235g Raptors in their 375's. Shank continues straight, 5 or 6 petals make a volleyball sized wound in thorax from what I understand. Cats don't move.

Glad you also had good success with them Todd.

Personally I have never used them. Just mentioning CEB's because hunters I trust have had good success with them.

All the best.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CEBs. Lethal.

Hunted with Mark Vallaro out of Chewore North. Took my .458 B&M w/ .420gr CEBs...took kudu, leopard, lion, hippo, and croc. Both cats dropped on the spot.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .280 Ackley with a fast 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip on a large leopard. I like that bullet for deer-sized game, the front comes apart but the base is solid.

Would have been just as happy using any accurate deer rifle: 7mm-08, 270, etc.

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot two; .338 WM both times. Both stone dead.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only taken part in one follow-up on a wounded leopard, shot in the back leg with an open sighted .470. The shooter refused to follow it up because his back hurt. (hurting rather less than the leopards leg you might surmise!) If he had used a scoped .243 I don't doubt he would have got it.
A friend once told me that leopard hunting consists of ten days of boredom (shooting Impala ewes for bait) followed by ten seconds of excitement (when you see the beast and take the shot) followed by ten minutes of sheer terror (when you go and look for the corpse)
In my limited experience he wasn't far wrong. Buffalo are better value for money!

Posts: 366 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 338 Win. Mag. with assorted premium bullets to take a variety of plains game and a box of cheap Win. 200 gr. Power Points to whack baboons.
We came across a drag of a young oryx that the leopard had just killed. We found the oryx carcass. The PH and tracker hastily built a one sided blind about 50 meters away from the carcass stating the the leopard would return.
I asked what bullet was recommended and the PH advised to use the Power Points.

The leopard did return. At the shot, he just collapsed. The male cat weighed 67 kilos. It was a big struggle for me to hold up the cat to take pictures as he weighed that same as I did .

That scared the shit out of me as I could feel his heart still beating while holding him up and pleading to the PH to quickly finish the picture taking.
The post mortem autopsy indicated that the bullet had come apart destroying everything around the heart but no fragments touched the heart itself.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have only shot two; .338 WM both times. Both stone dead.

This was Tony's last post. RIP

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote