THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    First Time Safari Limpopo or East Cape or ? in RSA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Time Safari Limpopo or East Cape or ? in RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I am looking at going on my first Safari either 2010 or 2011. Reading AR it seems that most people recommend RSA for first time Plains Game Safari.

I am interested in hunting Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbuck, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest and Blesbuk (in order of importance to me)

Questions what are the pro’s and cons of Limpopo versus East Cape or am I overlooking some other region?

I greatly appreciate any advice,

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot

I would suggest you also look at the Northwest and Kwa-Zulu Natal. Also let us know if you are looking for luxury accomodation or the best bush experience. Will your family be joining you or will you hunt alone.
Either way, I think you can have a great time hunting in SA, just pay special attention to where you will be hunting. The areas, the size of the farms and the kind of people you are dealing with.

A very good idea is to go and take a look at Shakari's website www.shakariconnection.com if you follow his advice you cont go wrong and better yet have a chat with him if you are unsure.
Good luck
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot,

You probably know that the cape is generally similar to parts of Wyoming where long vistas and shots are the norm. The limpopo is of course bushveld with shorter shots and vistas being more prevelant.

I prefer the limpopo as the kudu there are southern greater kudu which have longer horns on the average than the cape kudu which tend to exhibit more distinct markings on the coats. The gemsbok, bushbuck, and Impala tend to have good horn growth, maybe the best overall in africa.

Having hunted in the limpopo with Huntley
Ferreira safaris 3 times and buff 2 times in Zambia I can recommend them to you and would talk with you about their operation. Their ranch is west of alldays and very close to the border with Botswana.(limpopo river)

Add a couple of days in the Kruger park, you'll never regret it.

Adrian

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
The East Cape is generally easier to hunt, the tradeoff being longer range shots on the Cape versus shorter shots through heavy cover at limpopo.

I did my first couple of trips on the Eastern Cape and think it was a good choice for me -- I took Gold Medal animals of about 25 different species there before I moved North to start hunting dangerous game and plainsgame in more challenging terrain.

Each to his own, however, they're both fantastic.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
What would the typical range be for shots in the eastern cape?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the area, the EC is varied from thick riverine bush where you will shoot at 50-100m down to the open flats where you could be asked to shoot out to 250m.
Ask the outfitter to send you pictures of the area you will hunt and if possible ask him to put you in contact with a hunter who has hunted the ranch before so you can get the truth about shooting distances. General rule of thumb, the closer you are to the coast, the thicker the bush and the tougher the hunting.
Good luck
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
What would the typical range be for shots in the eastern cape?

If you don't have experience shooting at 200 yards, off short and long sticks, and walking a lot choose Limpopo.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, Please see my PM!

I recommend Jimbah Safaris, with Owen Smith! [his booking agent in the USA isJeff Martinell ]

He hunts , mostly, in the area around Cookhouse towards Bedford.

See my HUNT REPORT from 2007 with some photos and terrain.

I agree on the shot range as Vlam has noted, most PH will not suggest you shoot beyond 250yds, but you may well get opportunities up to 300-350, IF you want them. Most try to get closer though.

[That said, I shot a Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Warthog and Black Wildebeest this July and do not think I shot over 150 yards.]

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's good and bad operations in all areas and indeed countries and what suits one hunter might not suit the next, so I'd recommend you decide your own criteria and then start researching all areas/provinces.

I'd say Vlam has given you good advice about the other provinces as well........ esp KZN which is my personal favourite.

Depending on what your criteria is, you might also consider the Free State as well.

Feel free to explore our website at www.shakariconnectioncom, which as Ian so kindly says, might be of help to you in your reseach.

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I greatly appreciate everyones advice. It seems a little overwhelming trying to narrow down where to hunt and with whom.

After reading some of the infomative information on shakariconnection it seems like I need to write a busness plan to keep track of all the detailsSmiler

On the other hand it seems like just pick someone reputable from AR and go with it.

Their seems to be many good PH to choose from on this site.

As of now I am looking to hunt on my own and not bring the family. I am just looking for a comfortable base camp and a hunting area that will allow me to shoot good representative animals.

Does every part of RSA have the same basic availability of PG?

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and experience!

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted plains game in both East Cape &
Limpopop Provinces. Shots are longer in East Cape & plenty of long range practice should be in order off sticks before a trip there & this will greatly inhance your confidence as well as insure success. In Limpopo it is more bushy and shots are closer and staks are different. Both fun and both challenging in different ways. Use a premium bullet, I feel this is very important due to some of the animals being large and tougher than most North American species. Before booking ask as many questions as you can such as size of areas to be hunted and any other areas that they may have access to as this is something that is very important especially if a variety of animals is to be hunted. Lastly, ask for as many refrences as you can and speak to or communicate with all of them and you will get a good feel for what your in for. You will probably see many more animals in the East Cape but they will see you too and are harder to get close to but a good PH will get you the shot - after that its all up to you. Good luck !

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reading AR it seems that most people recommend RSA for first time Plains Game Safari.

I would instead say that you should hunt what you want and how you want, not pick something recommended for first-timers.

If you want to hunt plains game in South Africa, then so be it. If you really want to hunt buffalo or whatever, and see this as a first step, why not hunt buffalo instead? If you want a remote tented camp in a wilderness areas, then find one and hunt there whether for plains game or something else.

You never know how many trips you get to take, so make each hunt the one you really want.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Do you want this to be strictly a hunting trip, or do you want a little sightseeing with it?

Parts of the EC can be brushy. Kudu seem to thrive in that mesquite type acacia thorn stuff that grows there. The Port Elizabeth area is a great staging place to do the Garden Route down to Cape Town. I've done it with the family twice, and is a great time.

Limpopo is a little "wilder". It is also the home of the Limpopo Bushbuck, which is reason enough for me to go there, as I done have one! Both are good for a first trip that doesn't need to break the bank. Be aware that the World Cup will be in RSA 2010. That will cause airfare and hotels rooms to skyrocket. Just FYI.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Why is the Northern Cape never mentioned for hunting. Is something wrong with it?

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the N. Cape. Different terrain of course but it offers great hunting.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Northern Cape is most often just dumped together with the Northwest. You even have to write both sets of ordinance regardless of whether you want to hunt in one or the other.
I love hunting the Northern Cape as it provides some great open spaces and opportunities to hunt huge properties. We have one that we hunt there that is over 25000 ha 50 000 acres. Great Steenbuck there if you are interested in the little guys. Also big herds of Gemsbuck and Eland. Tough stalking though so you better be fit or tough, either will do.
Ian

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
I greatly appreciate everyones advice. It seems a little overwhelming trying to narrow down where to hunt and with whom.

After reading some of the infomative information on shakariconnection it seems like I need to write a busness plan to keep track of all the detailsSmiler

On the other hand it seems like just pick someone reputable from AR and go with it.

Their seems to be many good PH to choose from on this site.

As of now I am looking to hunt on my own and not bring the family. I am just looking for a comfortable base camp and a hunting area that will allow me to shoot good representative animals.

Does every part of RSA have the same basic availability of PG?

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and experience!

Jim

Losts of accurate observations in your posting. Please do visit www.mclarensafaris.com/knowyourself.html and read and follow advice on how to plan a safari. If you ever find better advice on how to plan a safari - please post it here for everyone's benifit!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Once again thank you for all the advice and I will check out the recommended sites.

As one gentlemen pointed out Kudu are larger in Limpopo. Are there any other significant differences in plains game sizes and availability in the different regions of RSA?

Thanks

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pick a company who can take you to more than one region. In 04 we hunted the Natal Midlands for reedbuck, then on to KZN for nyala. Finishing up in the Limpopo for 6 days hunting the rest.

Very different terrain all 3 places.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Jim:
Let me confuse you a bit more. Consider hunting in Namibia. My son and I hunted in RSA and Namibia. We much prefer Namibia.
RSA was to structured for us. We actually left the RSA, Limpopo hunt 2 days early because it was getting boring. All of the ranches we hunted, 4 total, were high fenced. I'm not opposed to high fences, I just don't like them.

In Namibia we had 118 square miles to hunt on. All were low cow fences. No other hunters. There was no comparison for us.
You might want to also take into consideration the hassle of entering the Joberg Airport, versus the Windhoek Airport. There is no comparison.
I will never go to RSA again. I didn't see anything there that I couldn't find in Namibia.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are there any other significant differences in plains game sizes and availability in the different regions of RSA?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Yest there are some significant differences in typical availability as well as body - and horn - size in some animals occurring in different regions.

Before explaining, let me warn that there are no hard and fast rules, but I'll restrict my comment to the very generally accepted norms, and so reduce [but not elliminate] the chance of being attacked or reprimanded by some Hunting Outfitter that feels I've spoiled his chances of getting you booked as a client.

I'll first make a comment on your "wish list": You list animals that simply does not occur in the same area in one list! Kudu is a strict browser and does not occur in true grassveldt. On the other side of the spectrum blesbuck is a true grazer and does not naturally occur in bushveldt. Springbuck is an animal that does best in real wide open spaces - be it mixed grassveld or Karoo schrub vegetation. They are also very succeptable to a certain disease that makes it virtually impossible to raise them in the most of the Limpopo Province.

The short of all this is: If you are a 'purist' that wants to only hunt animals that are in their natural habitat, you will either have to change your wish list or hunt in at least two different areas. Most of the other species on your list are quite adaptable and do just about equally well in bushveld or true grassveld.

As to different sizes: Springbuck found in the Kalahari regions of Northern Cape and North West Provinces are easily 30 % to even 50 % bigger in horn and body mass than the exact same species as found in the Free State and Karoo regions of the Eastern Cape and North Cape Provinces. Why? I don't quite know. But these are generally accepted facts (?).

Let me suggest that you book with some HO that is just about equidistance between Limpopo and the Eastern Cape and the Kalahari region: Then you can hunt all of your species with one HO, but in two or even three areas! You get to also see some of the country while traveling between these quite different scenic hunting areas. But, if traveling is not your favorite passtime in a foreign country I can also let you hunt all of your species from one area, with the given that some species are not in a true natural habitat.

Naturally, being situated in the Free State, I fit that description! Wink I can also let you hunt (mostly) under true free range conditions. Also feel free to compare my costs with those published by anyone else!

Looking forward to being contacted by you in this regard. dancing

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking at going on my first Safari either 2010 or 2011. Reading AR it seems that most people recommend RSA for first time Plains Game Safari.

I am interested in hunting Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Springbuck, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest and Blesbuk (in order of importance to me)

Questions what are the pro’s and cons of Limpopo versus East Cape or am I overlooking some other region?

I greatly appreciate any advice,

Jim

Jim, the region you choose is probably not as important as who you choose to hunt with as this will ultimately determine whether you have a satisfactory hunt or not.

There are ranches in the Eastern Cape that has all the species you're looking for available but as others have said you may have to compromise on the trophy quality of some species such as Kudu. Similarly, there are ranches in Limpopo that also has all the species you mentioned available but somewhere you may have to compromise either way.

Travelling between different hunting areas is a good idea but bear in mind that this impacts on the time you'll have available for hunting.

Although price is of course important, the familiar "you get what you pay for" is very true in the safari business. Good food, good accommodations and service, reliable vehicles, trained staff etc. all comes at a price which is invariably passed on to the client in some way or another.

I think an important question you need to ask yourself is what exactly is the experience you are after... Do you want to hunt the open plains or do you want to hunt the African Bushveld? Do you want to hunt in the mountains or do you prefer flat country?

Most importantly: do you believe that you will have a good rapport with your Outfitter / PH? Of course this is difficult to determine before you've actually met, but something that one could get a good feel for thru email correspondence and telephone calls before making your booking.

Best of luck!

Chris

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Dulcinea, Chris, Andrew and TJ, thank you for the advice. I have been looking at locations, costs and animals maybe I should be looking at something less concrete such as the experience and adventure that I am looking for in life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add a buffalo to your menu....you will not regret it.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dulcinea, Chris, Andrew and TJ, thank you for the advice. I have been looking at locations, costs and animals maybe I should be looking at something less concrete such as the experience and adventure that I am looking for in life.

Absolutely. Start with what kind of experience you want, and let that direct you to places to hunt and game to pursue.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Seeing that I can hunt the animals that i want just about anewhere in RSA or Nambia... Using the expereince that I am looking for will help thin down the number of choices of areas and outfitters.

Thinking about it I am looking for minimal airport transfers, check in with customs and gun permit meet the PH or rep at airport and drive to camp.

In terms of camp I would look for comfort but not luxury and electricity. Real toilets would be nice as well, versus a digging a cat hole.

In terms of actual hunting I am pretty open. Stalk all day or drive to you see a herd and stalk, waterholes, glassing whatever...

Any other suggestions or cirteria I should be looking at?

Jim

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seeing that I can hunt the animals that i want just about anewhere in RSA or Nambia... Using the expereince that I am looking for will help thin down the number of choices of areas and outfitters.

Thinking about it I am looking for minimal airport transfers, check in with customs and gun permit meet the PH or rep at airport and drive to camp.

In terms of camp I would look for comfort but not luxury and electricity. Real toilets would be nice as well, versus a digging a cat hole.

In terms of actual hunting I am pretty open. Stalk all day or drive to you see a herd and stalk, waterholes, glassing whatever...

Any other suggestions or cirteria I should be looking at?

Jim

Other than fly camps, most places I have heard about have toilets and running water for shower.

Questions you might ask yourself are:

Do I want to hunt a ranch or concession/conservancy?

How big a place do I want to hunt, or do I care?

Are fences a problem (some people do not care, some do not want a game fence, some do not even want to see a cattle fence)?

Do I want a tented camp, roundavels, or a lodge?

How remote do I want it to be? Do I want to hunt where dangerous game exists and may be seen or heard?

Look at the hunt reports from the countries and companies you are considering and see what kind of hunt people had. Is that the experience you want?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a first timer would be very happy in Namibia.
Try African Twilight Safaris. They can offer everything on your wish list.

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Singleshot03, Here is who we hunted with, in July 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

Here is a link to my report.

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/304103498

Like you, it was my 1st time, and I researched for 2 yrs., before settling on them. Because of the gun I was using, I wanted shorter shots. The hunt was perfect in every way, from beginning to end. Like everyone else said, there are a lot of great outfitters over there. You just finally have to settle on one.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a great place to use the 375H&H or RUM and match 300 Sierra Gamekings and Barnes Solids to the shot.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
quote:
ranch or concession/conservancy?

Is there a difference between concession and a ranch?

What I read here is that you don't see fences once you enter a hunting area.

Does size matter? If so what is a minimum size of an area to hunt?

Thanks for the info on Cruiser safair they are one of the top of my list. Every PH and safari operator mention on AR, SCI or friends I check out or in the process of reading up on.

Jim

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Ranches may be a few thousand acres or tens of thousands. Concessions or communal conservancies are usually on the larger side, but vary in size.

The ranches are privately owned whereas a concession is usually granted by government license and a conservancy (at least in Namibia) is a collection of villages that have been granted conservancy status and a quota to gain income from hunting.

Some info on conservancies in Namibia.

Some ranches have other commercial operations (livestock for example) and some conservancies may have livestock belonging to the local people.

Whether you will see the fences or not depends on the terrain and vegetation as well as the hunt itself.

Just a personal prejudice, but I can hunt on ranches at home and prefer something more remote with a tented camp.

Just ensure that you know what you are in for, as if you think you are spending the entire time on one vast ranch and end up moving from one ranch to another in search of different game every day you may be disappointed.