Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelican travel case questions
 Login/Join

posted
Do you prefer to lock one side, or both?

Do you duct tape (or similar) the outside end latches, or not?

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Double lock with identically keyed padlocks.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I use a Pelican case I double lock with 2 Combo locks, different combos, and then duct tape the locks down after final inspection.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy identical padlocks, either keyed or combination type. Use both...someone may be able to un-clip and pry open the unlocked side.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Combo on both sides. Don't like losing keys.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Double lock with identically keyed padlocks.

+1

I actually had four identical locks. I used two for my case and loaned two to my hunting partner for his case. That way we had a "spare" key as well.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two identical padlocks, plus two extras, left open and inside the case in plain view along with a note asking any security personnel who may have cut off the original locks to relock the case using the replacements.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use one lock. I figure if some TSA agent feels the need to cut the plastic part to get the lock off one side is still good.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Two identical padlocks, plus two extras, left open and inside the case in plain view along with a note asking any security personnel who may have cut off the original locks to relock the case using the replacements.

Bingo!

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. And on my last trip over, TSA didn't put but one lock back on the case. It arrived in Windhoek with just one lock.

I put one of my spares on for the return.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1, that's how I do it too!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:

Me too, but I use combo locks not keyed locks since I hate loosing the keys.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:

+2 That's how I do it also. Never had a lock cut off in six trips.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I use a Pelican Case I put it in my Tuff Pak and lock the internal single lock that it's equipped with. dancing One lock, one key, no problem. Just another reason to use a TP!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a bad experience with a combination lock on my safari.I would go with a good keyed padlock.I ordered a few today that are made buy the Amerilock company(1 1/2x1 1/2 inch safety lock-out model).I've used there locks in my work place before and they are great.They are the only ones that I've not had issues with.Very easy to open in cold and icy conditions and can take some abuse.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful using only one lock. I have had TSA twice make me go get a second lock at the airport gift shop before they would let the case through. Their logic was that there was two obvious places for locks and there should be two locks. Fortunately I had enough time on both occasions.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote