Notify
Tools

Smithsonian Lion Article
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hey Aaron,
In my first post on this, I linked to the article. You especially should read it when you get time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ledvm - Read it. Of course an easy stab at hunting, without any substantiated info or facts to back up her claim. Wonder if she has any idea how much money the hunting industry, SCI and Conservation Force, put forth to help fund Packer's little studies??

Other than that, seems to be a Craig Packer back slapping article, with maybe more of an emphasis of the lion decline based on human encroachment.

I thought AAW wrote a rebuttal to the editor, any way to see it???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what they printed; they edited it but asked me for permission to do so:

We are disappointed in the author’s comment citing hunting as a cause of Tanzania’s “crashing lion population.” Kenya outlawed big game hunting in the late ’70s. Since then its game populations have declined. Why? On the other hand, Tanzania has had both a thriving hunting industry and thriving game populations. The cow, pig and chicken are the most persecuted animals on earth, but money they generate ensures their prolific populations.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

It was the slur against hunting using the phrase "peach-fuss maned male lions still in there mothers prides" being shot as trophies that upset me. I think that phrase was unprofessional on their part.

That statement combined with the fact that they did not say one positive thing about the hunting industry, which did fund much of that research, as well as how the hunting industry preserves habitat was deplorable.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ledvm - Agree 100%. Whatever happened to your Dr. friend you were gonna introduce me to???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hi Aaron,

We were headed your way at DSC but got hung up talking to Bwanamich and Leon Lamprecht.

His associate Oryxhunter post on here.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/...tml?viewAll=y&page=9

They did eventually post my comment!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
This entire thread boils down to one thing.

Funding

The greenies pour enormous amounts of money into research, public awareness,animal rights organisations etc. To this end they are always going to have the edge in terms of putting their points of view across. The old communist ideal of "say something often enough and its becomes the truth" is their ideology. We all know that you can argue until the cows come home with a greenie and even in the face of logic and statistic they will not budge. The greenies have achieved their goal of making hunting not politically correct through masses of money and public awareness.

Obviously a concerted effort by Hunting organisations, pro hunting bodies and indeed hunters themselves can improve this situation vis a vis the public concept of hunting. I think we make the mistake of saying we need Pro Hunting researchers to provide information and data etc. Researchers who are cogniscant of all stakeholder interests and ones who will provide unbiased and untainted data is what is needed.

My reason for saying this is simple. In some areas, there is a problem with lion hunting as populations have suffered and the species has suffered. In other areas, lions have flourished and numbers improved. Unbiased and specific research would allow both the Greenies and the hunting fraternity to look at best practice scenarios and ultimately do whats best for the species, which IMO benefits both the greenies and the hunters.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
zimFrosty

You are 100% right, a researcher has to be unbiased or else he loses all credibility. We have to be careful of researchers who dance to the piper's tune, much like Packer does.

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimFrosty:
This entire thread boils down to one thing.

Funding

The greenies pour enormous amounts of money into research, public awareness,animal rights organisations etc. To this end they are always going to have the edge in terms of putting their points of view across. The old communist ideal of "say something often enough and its becomes the truth" is their ideology. We all know that you can argue until the cows come home with a greenie and even in the face of logic and statistic they will not budge. The greenies have achieved their goal of making hunting not politically correct through masses of money and public awareness.

Obviously a concerted effort by Hunting organisations, pro hunting bodies and indeed hunters themselves can improve this situation vis a vis the public concept of hunting. I think we make the mistake of saying we need Pro Hunting researchers to provide information and data etc. Researchers who are cogniscant of all stakeholder interests and ones who will provide unbiased and untainted data is what is needed.

My reason for saying this is simple. In some areas, there is a problem with lion hunting as populations have suffered and the species has suffered. In other areas, lions have flourished and numbers improved. Unbiased and specific research would allow both the Greenies and the hunting fraternity to look at best practice scenarios and ultimately do whats best for the species, which IMO benefits both the greenies and the hunters.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:
zimFrosty

You are 100% right, a researcher has to be unbiased or else he loses all credibility. We have to be careful of researchers who dance to the piper's tune, much like Packer does.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
We as hunters have to find a way to get $$$ funneled to REAL research! Cause...it will bear out that hunting is the way forward for African Wildlife!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We as hunters have to find a way to get $$$ funneled to REAL research! Cause...it will bear out that hunting is the way forward for African Wildlife!

Watch for my next post. Wink

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote